Sales Questions

Discuss startup sales strategies and what it takes to sell the product that you’ve designed and developed.

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
Coaching - software company

I am interested in connecting with individuals who offer coaching services. The criteria I am looking to evaluate are: Individual has lengthy experience in developing 1 or more web-based software...

asked Jul 14 '10 at 09:49
Blank
Danny
113 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.4K Views
Charge sales tax for a service provided by independent contractor in another state?

So I have a sales tax question. Yes, I will be contacting an attorney, but I figured I should do some research before spending $$$. Here is a situation. A company based in state A (office +...

asked Jul 17 '10 at 12:13
Blank
Apollo Sinkevicius
3,323 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
3.53K Views
Does Outsourcing Sales work? Do you know any good companies and what is your own experience?

We were approached by some websites that offer virtual outsourced sales teams and I'm wondering if anyone has successfully used them, and which companies are recommendable in your experience? What...

asked Aug 4 '10 at 19:00
Blank
Tatiana Andrushko
16 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.23K Views
How can I cope with price/cost inquiry tactfully?

I'm a private English-Chinese interpreter in China. People often send Email to me to ask my rate. As soon as I tell them my rate, they often don't contact me any more. I don't think my rate is very...

asked Aug 4 '10 at 22:17
Blank
Steven
1 point

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.79K Views
How to answer a business phone call? Is there any good book on that?

Some customers may call you to inquire about the rate, how to answer such phone calls tactically? Is there any good book on it?

asked Aug 8 '10 at 23:26
Blank
Steven
1 point

1 Votes
7 Answers
8.13K Views
How to tell a customer the price of my service

Many customers call me or email me to ask me about my rate. They often ask, "What is the best rate?" After I tell them my rate, they don't contact me any more. They virtually disappear. How should...

asked Aug 11 '10 at 00:12
Blank
Steven
1 point

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.55K Views
A customer gives a very low counteroffer for my service, how should I react?

I resigned from my former job and begin to prepare my international trade business. Since it probably will take me a lot of time before I make a profit, I also provide language...

asked Aug 12 '10 at 16:13
Blank
Steven
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
Doing Business in China: How to identify business opportunities?

I'm preparing to do international trade business I will be in China. One of the main places to look for suppliers is Alibaba. Do you have experience working with providers/suppliers found...

asked Aug 13 '10 at 00:24
Blank
Steven
1 point

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
Pricing Sheet for Sales Reps

My company does custom web application development. We build applications based on the needs of the client, so our projects really vary in terms of requirements. We typically meet with a client,...

asked Aug 17 '10 at 04:06
Blank
Aac
85 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.62K Views
Semi Start-Up - Pricing Negotiation

I'd love to get your feedback on the following: After several months of talking with the directors of this firm, I am near to closing the deal. Overall, they love our solution and want to move...

asked Jun 21 '10 at 10:03
Blank
Danny
113 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.85K Views
How can we communicate our message effectively without being seen as what exists already in the market?

We provide a new software that allows service based companies to present orders, invoices and cash receipts through a web portal with matching,workflow and a communication platform for trading...

asked Jun 29 '10 at 00:39
Blank
Stacey
484 points

-1 Votes
4 Answers
2.02K Views
business ethics: Is un-illegal cheat ok in business?

In business world, many companies,salespersons, businessmen are unethical, they don't tell you the whole picture or they minimize or magnify some aspects, or they ignore some aspects on purpose....

asked Jul 6 '10 at 21:36
Blank
Jack
116 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.46K Views
What to say when contacting a potential partner for the first time?

I am trying to use LinkedIn to contact people that work for potential partner companies to resell my software. Can you offer any advice on what to say to gain information from them? Would it be...

asked May 18 '10 at 04:47
Blank
Stacey
484 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.29K Views
How to find short term sales for enterprise software?

I understand enterprise software to large companies is a long sales cycle. What is the first step in finding some short term revenue while we wait for the long term sales to come to fruitation?

asked May 18 '10 at 06:31
Blank
Stacey
484 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
Selling ebooks when the same information is available for free

I see some people making money from selling ebooks and they doing pretty good. When I look at the titles, I know I can easily get the same information by doing some research & reading using...

asked May 22 '10 at 02:28
Blank
Tony Henrich
85 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.77K Views
What should be the first steps in developing leads for a start up?

I have a high tech software start up B2B ...I know in my industry that competitors market through blogs, webinars, seo, associations, broadcast emails etc... I am targeting the Canadian Small to...

asked Jun 2 '10 at 07:26
Blank
Stacey
484 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Reseller Discounts for Annual Maintenance?

We offer our resellers (ones that actively go out and sell to customers) a 25% discount on software licenses. We have just introduced an annual maintenance fee, at 20% of current list price at the...

asked Jun 4 '10 at 18:01
Blank
Cocowalla
327 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.05K Views
How do you sell to corporate customers when you are a start up?

Our software product is sold to be intalled on the client side We are targeting large companies who can truly benefit from it and see the ROI. The challenge is the long sales cycles and being a...

asked Apr 22 '10 at 06:03
Blank
Stacey
484 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
2.5K Views
Getting coaching at the beginning of your business?

I have a software product that is a complex sale. I need someone to help me sell this product or coach me on how to make sure I am aiming at the right target and closing deals. Would you pay a...

asked Apr 23 '10 at 23:14
Blank
Stacey
484 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
How can I find prospects with a budget & timeline?

I need to get on the phone and start cold calling and try to find a prospect with a budget and timeline to buy our solution.How do I do this? Where do I start? Since i have sold software like this...

asked Apr 24 '10 at 03:40
Blank
Stacey
484 points