Sales Questions

Discuss startup sales strategies and what it takes to sell the product that you’ve designed and developed.

7 Votes
9 Answers
4.07K Views
Developing and formalizing sales process

From day one and until recently our sales process was awesomely non-existent and very much adhoc. As we sell creative and web software development services, and lack of good process bit us in the...

asked Nov 20 '10 at 09:12
Blank
Alex
262 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
1.9K Views
For tax purposes what is best currency to collect?

I have a canadian company selling to a European company who's currency is GBP. For tax purposes should I sell to them in Canadian dollars or should they pay me in pounds?

asked Nov 23 '10 at 02:00
Blank
Stacey
484 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.94K Views
What is the best way to approach a potential reseller?

I have a list of companies I want to approach, but I'm not sure what to say when I call them, or who I should be contacting within the company. Any ideas? I am in the software business.

asked Nov 25 '10 at 07:30
Blank
Stacey
484 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.42K Views
Where/How do I find resellers for my content writing services?

Amongst my many ventures I run a new, small and unregistered content writing company. I have developed a decent working model with 15 employees. I am inexperienced in "for-profit" field. I am...

asked Nov 9 '10 at 14:10
Blank
Prateek Mishra
137 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.58K Views
How to find statistics for a sales pitch?

We have developed a system that lets small businesses issue membership cards to their clients which can then be used as payment cards. The clients either preload the card with money or link it with...

asked Nov 10 '10 at 05:42
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
2.52K Views
How can a bootstrapped startup start to expand sales without outside funding?

So I have a bootstraped startup that's starting to get some traction. A little background: we make a classroom recording appliance that works with fixed positioned cameras in classrooms to record...

asked Nov 12 '10 at 03:32
Blank
Jon
138 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.03K Views
Where can I find independant commission based sales contractors?

I have spoken with many agencies and posted many ads. No joy. Is there any place where I can find telecommuting sales force for selling IT services?

asked Nov 12 '10 at 22:22
Blank
User5359
48 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.3K Views
How do you know someone signing an agreement has the right to do so?

Always, wondered this, and never found a good answer. Guess the opposite applies, too -- how do you know someone does NOT have the right to enter a legal agreement on behalf of a company? Please...

asked Oct 23 '10 at 05:01
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.06K Views
How to hire a salesman?

Usually salesmen have a base pay and then commission on each sale. I want to know how a company handles this? I mean for example a salesman's basic pay is $1000 and commission ratio is 10% for each...

asked Oct 30 '10 at 23:55
Blank
Dr. Zuni
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.06K Views
Should startups have a channel?

I am running sales/marketing for a small software company (6 employees) and we are selling direct, for the most part. We now have been contacted by a few companies who want to distribute our...

asked Nov 3 '10 at 03:37
Blank
Danny
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.95K Views
Pricing model for sellers in an online store

I just finished setting up an online store that involves selling digital content, tangible items like clothes, events tickets etc. However, I have a little challenge on how to charge sellers to add...

asked Oct 10 '10 at 20:54
Blank
Stanley
59 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
2.22K Views
If you were knowingly buying a product or service from a start-up, what would convince you to buy it?

If you were knowingly buying a product or service from a start-up, what would YOU want to hear from the salesperson that would likely convince you to purchase that product or service?

asked Oct 18 '10 at 10:59
Blank
User4849
21 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.17K Views
Daily Deals on Laptops and Smartphones

I just recently launched a daily deals website but my target products are high value products such as Laptops and smartphones. Now i'm working with retailers but the challenge is setting the...

asked Oct 20 '10 at 07:19
Blank
Stanley
59 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.18K Views
when do you call it quits on a prospect?

I find myself doing a lot of follows up with prospects after I have presented to them in order to close the deal, yet in certain cases I keep getting "call me in 2 weeks" OR "I need buy in from the...

asked Oct 22 '10 at 02:29
Blank
Danny
113 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
How do daily deals or coupons website handle marketing?

I'm developing a startup website like groupon.com for daily deals. I'm located in Nigeria and I have my system developed already. I started marketing it myself, but this business model seems to be...

asked Sep 26 '10 at 05:54
Blank
Stanley
59 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
3.72K Views
How do you handle the "how many customers do you have?" question when you are a start up?

So when you have little customer and I mean one what do you do when you are asked the question how many customers do you have and can you provide customer references when you are a start up?

asked Oct 8 '10 at 04:29
Blank
Stacey
484 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.65K Views
Selling through VARs and Systems Integrators

We're developing an extension to a commercial open source enterprise software product. Most customers of the product we're extending buy it trough one of its system integration partners. To reach...

asked Aug 26 '10 at 05:33
Blank
Jonas H.
108 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.58K Views
Negotiation with potential large customer

I am looking for some feedback regarding this situation. We provide software in the form of SaaS. Now, we have been working with this 1 company for over 3 years. They have 1200 employees, of...

asked Aug 28 '10 at 02:14
Blank
Danny
113 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.85K Views
What is the best way to reach decision-makers at large restaurant chains?

What is the best way to reach decision-makers at large restaurant chains? I'm thinking Chili's, Darden, Friday's, Applebee's, etc. We've had some luck reaching some individual locations, and small...

asked Sep 15 '10 at 06:19
Blank
Josh Sam Bob
1,578 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
3.15K Views
What skills should i get to start?

im a system administrator and have some ideas and small amount of money to spare. Despite i am a tech guy, i actually have a problems learning programming(trying a few times with deplhi then with...

asked Sep 24 '10 at 00:15
Blank
Coolface
8 points