Sales Questions

Discuss startup sales strategies and what it takes to sell the product that you’ve designed and developed.

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.91K Views
Pricing. Do you think USD120/Day is a reasonable rate for an English-Chinese translator in Mainland China?

When you need a translator to accompany you to factories, what rate do you think is reasonable for an English-Chinese translator in Mainland China?

asked May 1 '11 at 14:13
Blank
Steven
1 point

12 Votes
2 Answers
2.82K Views
Sales pipelines. Should you only have 1 in a B2B software development company?

So you understand our scope : We are a custom software development company who have 2 primary markets Mid sized companies who have ongoing internal needs for...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 15:46
Blank
Robin Vessey
8,394 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
5.05K Views
Is this teired commission schedule for referrals fair?

I'm an independent software consultant who is looking for referrals. I've paid for referrals before and have noticed that sometimes I was happy with the price and sometimes I was not. For example,...

asked Apr 22 '11 at 06:39
Blank
Timid Developer
30 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.47K Views
Should I offer a site tour on my home page?

In the not so distant future, I will be launching a site that is mostly for businesses and is largely Software as a Service. I am wondering what you think about the pros and cons of having a pretty...

asked Apr 22 '11 at 11:02
Blank
User9886
21 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
What is a fair amount to pay for consulting referrals?

I'm an independent software consultant who is looking for referrals. I've come to the conclusion that perhaps I should pay for them and earlier today posted this question about a teired commision...

asked Apr 22 '11 at 13:46
Blank
Timid Developer
30 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.56K Views
Commission for in-house sales activity

I'm joining a software startup as a (co-founding) CTO. I am also bringing my industry contacts into the venture, and will be the only person taking initiative on business development. My contacts...

asked Apr 22 '11 at 16:24
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.54K Views
Hiring Specialized Sales Reps

Say you had a tech product that could be applicable to a various verticals like Healthcare, Financial, Education, Insurance, Manufacturing, etc... and you decided to ramp up your sales. Would you...

asked Apr 9 '11 at 20:53
Blank
Chain
313 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.32K Views
Should we target large customers with our software localization platform?

For the last 15 months we've been working hard to build a cloud-based platform that helps companies localize the software they build (named Amanuens ). It all started from our own needs and we...

asked Apr 12 '11 at 21:24
Blank
Deleted
655 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.84K Views
Can you outsource sales for high tech companies?

Following on from my previous question about outsourced marketing can you outsource sales effort as well in b2b senarios? Once marketing has brought in a qualified lead someone has to get the...

asked Apr 4 '11 at 10:55
Blank
Robin Vessey
8,394 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.87K Views
What incentives can I give business customers to sell my product to their network?

I have treated my first few business customers of my software product very well. They are senior managers of medium sized companites. My problem is that I cannot get them to sell my product in...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 07:31
Blank
David
1,567 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.59K Views
Doing demos for unqualified leads

I get a lot of leads and I only want to do demos for qualified people. By qualified, they have to have access to $100k or more in capital. Before, I was putting them in our sandbox (software),...

asked Mar 24 '11 at 06:47
Blank
Sparagi
346 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.32K Views
What if you didn't START lean?

I have successfully launched a startup. It is a niche school management system for Montessori Schools. It's profitable but doesn't produce a lot of income (translated: can't quit my day job). My...

asked Mar 26 '11 at 03:57
Blank
Keyton Weissinger
126 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.62K Views
How should I charge web customers for small transaction amounts?

EDIT 1: So in short, is there a free way for me to get $1 from a customer and send that $1 to my bank account. If free is not an option, what is the cheapest way for me to get that $1 to my bank...

asked Mar 16 '11 at 19:09
Blank
Oshirowanen
201 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
4.07K Views
What kind of sales commission plan is Groupon using?

Groupon has been hiring sales people like crazy. Their turnover is probably very high but the sheer number of salespeople that they are adding to their company every month is something crazy to a...

asked Mar 18 '11 at 23:15
Blank
Michael Pryor
2,250 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
31K Views
Do testimonials have any significant impact on sales?

Testimonials seem to be a great idea (social proof, etc), but I'm not sure they have any meaningful impact on sales. And they could actually be causing problems for our existing customers. For...

asked Mar 4 '11 at 13:58
Blank
Steven
1 point

7 Votes
5 Answers
5.69K Views
What advantages does price discrimination have over the using the same price for everyone?

I'm trying to decide whether to change my pricing scheme from 'the same price for everyone' to 'a different price depending on which customer you are' (price discrimination / price...

asked Mar 4 '11 at 20:13
Blank
Steven
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
Is it OK to ask prosperous client to invest in our startup company?

We are an early start up (7 months old), and we are in talks with 3 - 4 clients. We are building an E-learning kind of tool and looking for building the content as well. I kind of sensed one...

asked Mar 5 '11 at 00:40
Blank
Karan
54 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.22K Views
Is "Public Offer" synonym of ToS?

My company provides fee-based online services in addition to a free basic online service and product. We have not bothered until now much with ToS before but with increase of fee-based clients...

asked Mar 5 '11 at 14:57
Blank
Gennady Vanin Novosibirsk
133 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.47K Views
What's the best book on pricing you've ever read?

What's the best book you've ever read on pricing?

asked Mar 6 '11 at 00:58
Blank
Steven
1 point

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
The line between being a persistent salesperson and being a pest

I have a startup called Snip that makes software for stylists and salons. At this point, I'm doing something similar to sales but not exactly. I'll explain: at this early stage, I have a product...

asked Mar 11 '11 at 05:10
Blank
Jason Swett
555 points