Sales Questions

Discuss startup sales strategies and what it takes to sell the product that you’ve designed and developed.

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.11K Views
Is this a fair partnership proposal?

I am the technical founder of a software product, the product is finished with good inputs from at least 6 to be customers. My to be Sales partner who is already helping me from the past 4 weeks...

asked Jun 8 '11 at 00:13
Blank
User11074
39 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.03K Views
What is a good structure/organization of a reliable marketing and sales team?

I am a co-founder of a startup company. We sell market data and analysis reports to manufacturers. Our reports have fairly high value, ranging from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands...

asked Jun 9 '11 at 01:23
Blank
Tong Wang
108 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
How to sell software tools to developers?

I have Windows desktop tools for developers. I have a few large companies that bought them. It is mostly project managers that did the buying and so far they found me via Google search(I have done...

asked Jun 9 '11 at 03:11
Blank
Textpert
21 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
Any Good Books on Building a Strong Sales Force?

I have a few subscription based services which have grown consistently though affiliates and resellers. I want to get a strong sales force going. Do you have any books, training, blogs, etc. that...

asked Jun 10 '11 at 11:01
Blank
Rafferty Pendery
466 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
My sales person (independent, not employee) wants to be an angel investor

I started a surveillance technology company in May 2010. Since the beginning, we have been working with a person that has been in the security industry for quite a while. He was providing some...

asked May 27 '11 at 04:47
Blank
Michael
234 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
8.2K Views
Sales commission for SAAS startups

We are a SAAS startup with an average MRR of $300. We are planning to have both in-house and outside sales agents (without salary but 20-30% commission). What is the sales commission model you...

asked May 28 '11 at 06:01
Blank
User8226
197 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
4.2K Views
Good books on sales for non-sales people?

I'm looking for a good intro book on Sales done the right way. Focusing on the customer's needs and problems. Low-pressure selling. Being willing to disqualify a customer. Basically, my sales...

asked May 30 '11 at 01:47
Blank
Clay Nichols
737 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.71K Views
Sales quoting - what tools do you use to generate and manage quotes, and how much time do you spend?

I am curious what tools people are using out there to generate and manage their sales quotes. I would like to better understand the market for our online quoting system. Where do most of your...

asked May 30 '11 at 11:26
Blank
Mike
252 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
How to get desktop research tool distributed?

We are in the process of creating a desktop research tool, which will provide snappy access to a wide range of information. Conceptually, this tool is similar to Babylon. How would you go about...

asked May 30 '11 at 21:25
Blank
David
1,567 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.87K Views
How do you manage sales of your phone apps on different platforms?

everyone I am developing phone apps and would like to introduce them on AppWorld, and later on, sell them on another platforms too. Since I'm a new developer, I need your help. How do you guys...

asked Jun 1 '11 at 10:24
Blank
Sid Jenkins
16 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.05K Views
What should be my first step to building a technical team for a start up?

I expect a large scale software project to come in which must be delivered successfully for us to get more business. I don't have enough in house resources to accomodate this project but I do have...

asked May 18 '11 at 23:42
Blank
Stacey
484 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
Sales and Marketing Co-founder-Ivy League MBA or Industry Expert?

I am working on a software product, which is going to revolutionize a specific industry. I checked with couple of top guys in this industry and they are all impressed. It is a billion dollar...

asked May 25 '11 at 01:33
Blank
User8226
197 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.41K Views
What are the best magazines to put an ad seeking for sales&marketing bus. partner on commission basis?

My company developed and validated highly innovative water purification products for residential and commercial applications. What are the best magazines to put an ad seeking for...

asked May 25 '11 at 03:35
Blank
Dom
16 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.26K Views
How Can I Estimate How Many Software Sales My Competitors are Getting?

I'm in a field with several hundred competitors, a few big, some medium, but most are small ISVs. Are there any tools out there that will help estimate how my competitors are doing in terms of...

asked May 16 '11 at 10:07
Blank
Lkessler
1,471 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.81K Views
Best Strategy for moving into the US / Canadian market from Australia

The background I represent a small Australian software developer. We have been working with our clients over here for 9 years on a product suite which is a worlds first for the targeted industry....

asked May 16 '11 at 13:14
Blank
Robin Vessey
8,394 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
Startup giving away product early or hold out?

So we are a SaaS model new recruitng tool and weve been trying to acquire our first couple of major deals. I read alot of books on starting up and have advised start ups my whole career. At first...

asked May 4 '11 at 07:19
Blank
Rich Goldstein
21 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
5.08K Views
Show competitors prices on e-commerce site, legal issues?

I am starting an ecommerce site selling electronics in the UK. I belive I can compete with price against others in this field, and was considering have a 'price compare' table on the product pages...

asked May 5 '11 at 06:10
Blank
James
123 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.39K Views
'active affiliate' program for direct sales

I would like to hear people opinion about outsourcing direct sales to affiliates. We expect our affiliates to do cold calls to prospects and close deals, we will do the actual delivery and provide...

asked Apr 25 '11 at 03:40
Blank
Shai Ben Yehuda
81 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
6.71K Views
Possible To Sell Product To Current Employer?

I have an idea for productivity software that would be very beneficial to my current company (and to me in my current role). My current role involves no software development at all (I'm working for...

asked Apr 27 '11 at 00:22
Blank
Jetti
289 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.19K Views
Building a Sales "Deck"

Guy Kawasaki in Art of the Start talks about having two decks, an investor pitch deck and also a sales deck. Have you found this to be useful? I'm about to go pitch to 2 - 3 potential customers as...

asked Apr 30 '11 at 02:14
Blank
Nick
1,171 points