Sales Questions

Discuss startup sales strategies and what it takes to sell the product that you’ve designed and developed.

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.52K Views
Selling using the honor system

This is sort of a follow up to a post a few months back. I recently converted a solo software project into a "business" (in quotes because it has a non-profit motivation and I make very little at...

asked Nov 10 '11 at 12:51
Blank
Kekito
1,936 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
How to protect my software?

I am looking forward to register business in UK (England), currently we are still in development of software but, next year we should be launching it live for the people. This is going to be a...

asked Oct 25 '11 at 16:42
Blank
John
38 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.85K Views
Registering a trademark for software

I would like to know if registering trademark for software in some countries is too expensive for us and we develop a software which is hard to copy, can we survive without trademark for software?...

asked Nov 1 '11 at 22:30
Blank
John
38 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.62K Views
Salesman or Distributor

I am producing a medical device which sells between 5000 and 20,000. Competition allows multiple distributors who all advertise on the web and compete by offering incentives...prices are set by...

asked Nov 5 '11 at 07:20
Blank
M Theres
6 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.54K Views
How to negotiate with a sales guy

I started developing a product in 2001. It was a one off web site for a particular client in which I retained all rights / ownership of the software. By early 2009, the code base had been extended...

asked Oct 18 '11 at 06:21
Blank
Chris Lively
443 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.65K Views
How to change my part time business in to a permanent business?

I've had a small, part time email sales business for the last 3 years which shows good potential. I do however have a permanent day job which I can not afford to leave yet but I want to increase my...

asked Oct 5 '11 at 21:58
Blank
Elle
11 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Are software download sites generating sales?

I sell a software which I registered with some download sites. They generate a lot of traffic in downloading and distributing the demo but don't generate much visitors or sales in relation to this....

asked Oct 13 '11 at 16:18
Blank
Amenti
167 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.78K Views
price comparison business model

I would like to know how price comparison websites make money. Do use pay per click or other revenue models? Please be as detailed as possible and cite your sources. Thank you!

asked Sep 24 '11 at 15:40
Blank
Joao
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.25K Views
How to sell software through third-party distributors online

I'd like to sell a software program (that my startup developed) through third-party online sellers. Any tips about how to approach the other sellers and structure the transaction? Is the best way...

asked Sep 25 '11 at 00:29
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.38K Views
How to get people to pay before they can see the product or service?

One of the ideas to find out if a new product/service is viable to build is see if there's interest in it. One of the methods talked about is to gauge how many people want to buy it. That is people...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 09:59
Blank
Tony Henrich
283 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
1.85K Views
Using technical evangelism\advocates

In the context of a software company, when does it make sense to hire a technical evangelist (also known as advocates now). Big companies have them and I've seen plenty of smaller companies with...

asked Sep 15 '11 at 02:18
Blank
Dustin Davis
272 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
Innovative ways to market a niche B2B product

My partner and I have developed a product that is focused on a very narrow industry vertical, and which fills a very specific need. In the grand scale of software, this particular type of software...

asked Sep 7 '11 at 23:44
Blank
Jason
279 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.71K Views
Need guidance/suggestion on tough situation

We gave a free product trial for 2 months with our first potential client. It is a unique product, there's a great learning process and we have had an amazing response from both students and...

asked Sep 10 '11 at 22:39
Blank
Kumar K
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Head of Sales/BD/Marketing Equity Share for Prefunded Startup?

I'm considering joining a great team/early startup. Founder A engineer / mba, brought the vision. Founder B phd relevant to product C head of Product - person poached from another company very...

asked Aug 31 '11 at 12:37
Blank
Lisa
11 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
Exclusivity Contracts, good or bad?

Recently at a meeting with a prospective client, my co-owner and I were introduced to an interesting situation. Our product will be going into beta fairly soon, and we are making the rounds to...

asked Sep 2 '11 at 01:33
Blank
Bwasson
1,162 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.46K Views
My foreign client requested me to send him a copy of my passport page

I am a business translator/interpreter in Hangzhou, China. A British client said that he is going to China and he will hire me as his interpreter when he is in China. He asked my bank information...

asked Aug 19 '11 at 19:48
Blank
Steven
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.7K Views
Affiliate Marketing Sales Statistics

How do i go about forecasting sales for a new affiliate marketing / e-commerce website? Are there any relevant statistics for this industry available for free?

asked Aug 24 '11 at 22:06
Blank
Yoav.Aviram
108 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.65K Views
Interviewing sales people: what do you do to check their claims without asking for past W2s?

One of the favorite parts of my job is to recruit people for my company. From experience I have come to realize that no matter how busy you are, outsourcing recruiting and hiring is very...

asked Aug 25 '11 at 07:01
Blank
Apollo Sinkevicius
3,323 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.56K Views
What is the hourly rate of a freelance marketing consultant?

I am in a start up with very limited financial liquidity (less than $10,000) I reached a stage where my online store is taking shape, I have a stock of product now and enough to start a sales...

asked Aug 26 '11 at 12:11
Blank
Ramzi
21 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.97K Views
Comunications Skills

I have technical background and founder of software startup. Now, I started learning the importance of Communications Skills in demos and meeting with prospective clients. Any books or courses...

asked Aug 13 '11 at 06:32
Blank
User8226
197 points