Sales Questions

Discuss startup sales strategies and what it takes to sell the product that you’ve designed and developed.

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
how does an existing company roll in new revenue models into existing ones?

I've got a consulting business built around my personal skills and offerings. I've picked up a few sales people to help increase work volume (currently part-time outside of a day-job). The company...

asked Jan 26 '12 at 07:23
Blank
Patrickgamer
234 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.39K Views
How to find salespeople for a startup?

I have bootstrapped a startup and am at the stage where I need salespeople who can go out and acquire some customers. Online marketing doesn't seem to be helping since my startup is a B2B focusing...

asked Jan 28 '12 at 09:02
Blank
User15995
42 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.47K Views
How to get excited about selling?

I usually like selling our new product, but today I'm not very excited about it. It really reflects on the feeling in my sales-calls. How do I get more excited about it?

asked Jan 24 '12 at 01:09
Blank
Kristoffer Nolgren
113 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
2.63K Views
Will Open-Sourcing my SaaS solution positively impact revenue?

I have yet to go public with my SaaS startup, and am considering releasing it under an open-source license. Below are some thoughts I've collated in answer to this question: No As competitors...

asked Jan 16 '12 at 21:13
Blank
A T
38 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.2K Views
A Co-Branded website?

Our start-up is not yet launched but has been proposed to make a co-branded website with a big player on the market, where both parties would be presented equally through a number of ads and links...

asked Jan 17 '12 at 06:44
Blank
Patrick
23 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
Sensible pricing options for a tiered translation service on retainer? Or - how do I add value more without exhausting myself?

I’m an English man living in Germany. As a side line, I offer German to English translation, interpreting and language lessons. These do not provide a steady income, so I’d like to offer a...

asked Jan 17 '12 at 20:52
Blank
Edd Turner
4 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Small consultancy - first .NET software product out. Advice on release, marketing and selling?

About a year ago I set up a Ltd company to provide IT/Software consultancy to various firms in and around London, UK. This has been going very well and I just completed my first full years accounts...

asked Jan 2 '12 at 06:41
Blank
Andrew Burnett Thompson
193 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
Where can i find comparable Sales Compensation data?

So I'm looking for some personal experiences on compensation for sales representatives from start-ups and/or established corporations. I've looked at many of the salary information websites but I'm...

asked Jan 2 '12 at 14:36
Blank
David Mokon Bond
234 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Where to seek the right sales executives working on a revenue share basis?

We're a startup company providing payment services/network/platform, we are similar but not like conventional payment service providers. The product has just been developed, compliance is underway...

asked Jan 3 '12 at 00:59
Blank
Justin
6 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.8K Views
What should a technical co-founder look for in a business co-founder?

This is the flip side of this question about what to look for in a technical co-founder. If I have technical skills and can build a prototype myself, what sort of skills or experience should I...

asked Dec 19 '11 at 08:59
Blank
Hartley Brody
1,317 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.94K Views
How can a startup market its services, without having an impressive portfolio or clientele?

I am asking particularly about software and IT services company, but I think question can be answered generally as same dilemma is shared by entrepreneurs of different industries.

asked Dec 22 '11 at 23:00
Blank
Ali
179 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
OEM Licensing Payment Term

How is the typical OEM licensing payment term? For example if another party want to buy 50 licenses, do they need to pay in full amount ? or some percentage in initial agreement and the remaining...

asked Dec 23 '11 at 02:49
Blank
Jazar
123 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
10.7K Views
How do you calculate source code value if someone want to buy it?

I wondering how do I can determine the source code value if someone want to buy it ? For example, for $1000 product, how much is the source code value ?

asked Dec 23 '11 at 02:56
Blank
Jazar
123 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
Sales Commision for Project

I wondering how much is the typical commission percentage for sales (third party) that helping me to winning a project ? Do the commission based on project value or from net profit ?

asked Dec 23 '11 at 14:36
Blank
Jazar
123 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.84K Views
How to convince a sales rep to take a commission job?

I have contacted a sales rep with good experience and his recommendations are good. But he is interested in salary jobs that pay 80k, with me his 25% is six figures and he only has to sign 8...

asked Dec 24 '11 at 14:38
Blank
Sergio Alvarez
46 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.73K Views
Does anyone know of golfcentric angel investors?

I have been working on finding an investor for the LTPGA - The Less Than Perfect Golfers Association, Inc. Finding a golf-centric angel who has a sense of humor would be ideal. The basic math is...

asked Dec 27 '11 at 14:39
Blank
Bubba G
1 point

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
Estimating Sales Compensation

I've been operating under the assumption that I want to set the commission rate for my commission only sales reps based on: (# of sales) * (average deal value) * (r) = compensation or r = c/(N*V)....

asked Dec 9 '11 at 18:21
Blank
Umassthrower
458 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
How do I effectively approach potential business customers to be involved in my consumer product?

I've created a series of mobile apps for the cruise community called Ship Mate that gets a significant amount of daily use. In it I've added the ability to highlight business in the different ports...

asked Dec 15 '11 at 10:48
Blank
Jan
143 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.73K Views
How to set up sales bonus in case of long sales cycle?

We are selling specialized accounting software for real estate management companies. As you would guess, nobody changes accounting software every month, so our sales cycle is 1-2 years and we are...

asked Dec 6 '11 at 02:10
Blank
Tambet
215 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.47K Views
How to determine competitor's pricing model when impersonating a customer is challenging

This question accompanies my recent previous question, Are there any methods you can think of to determine a comptetitors pricing model under these stipulations: The pricing sheet is not publicly...

asked Nov 16 '11 at 01:58
Blank
Maple Shaft
323 points