Employees Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Multiple twitterers / one company

I'm pretty new to twitter ( http://twitter.com/roadbud ). I'm hoping to build customer relationships, provide customer service, engage people with blog, and lead prospects towards our product...

asked Feb 25 '10 at 00:25
Blank
Mike Schoeffler
100 points

16 Votes
14 Answers
20K Views
Should I put my "startup" experience on my resume?

I have a similar question to this one regarding putting your "startup" on your resume. I have a full time job and started a small company on the side. My startup isn't a product company - I've been...

asked Mar 5 '10 at 07:17
Blank
George Jenson
108 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.09K Views
Securing contract with a freelancer

I wonder - is it possible to sign a contract with a freelancer for a regular contract job securely? I mean how can I justify that all the work he has done will be given to my company and nobody...

asked Feb 12 '10 at 05:34
Blank
Kirill Blazhko
393 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.85K Views
Legal issues with contract labor?

Are there any legal pitfalls I should know about when creating a service where I pay users to provide a service to customers? The model I'm thinking about is like Amazon Turk for a certain...

asked Jan 10 '10 at 06:37
Blank
User2212
11 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
4.48K Views
What do I need to know about hiring an intern?

My bootstrapped startup (Textaurant ) needs some help with market research. Since we're so close to two of my alma maters (undergrad is ~1 mile, grad is ~5 miles), I figured I would reach out to...

asked Jan 13 '10 at 03:10
Blank
Josh Sam Bob
1,578 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.93K Views
Has anyone set up an FSA for dependent care?

Does anyone offer a Flexible Spending Account for dependent care to their employees as a benefit? If so, whom do you use as an administrator and what are the costs of administration?

asked Jan 19 '10 at 17:40
Blank
Oleg Barshay
2,091 points

7 Votes
8 Answers
3.69K Views
How to get the passion back and to stay focused and organized?

I've been running my business for 3 years now. It's grown substantially and doing quite well but I seem to be losing the passion of running the business. I'm interested in doing newer things but...

asked Dec 30 '09 at 22:36
Blank
Sam
43 points

6 Votes
9 Answers
14.5K Views
What PEO providers are out there other than TriNet? What questions should I ask potential PEO providers?

Looking at PEO (professional employee organization) providers - just wanted to get a sense for who else is out there other than TriNet. I only know about TriNet from Feld's AskTheVC blog:...

asked Dec 13 '09 at 08:21
Blank
Sachin Agarwal
63 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
3.54K Views
Advice/Resources on Performance Reviews for Employees

We're getting ready to formalize our processes around employee reviews and I wondered if anyone had some great advice and/or links to articles/resources that are valuable on the subject. I've never...

asked Nov 25 '09 at 04:30
Blank
Randfish
1,001 points

4 Votes
12 Answers
4.23K Views
Advice about an offer at a startup company

So here's the situation: I was discovered by a startup company through some of my work. I was interviewed by one of the cofounders, and they were interested in putting me on their team...

asked Dec 4 '09 at 20:39
Blank
Ching B
23 points

2 Votes
8 Answers
5.78K Views
Who owns the IP rights for a product you're making outside working hours (in USA)?

Does the company you're currently work for owns the IP rights if you are creating a product after work hours? Is there anything that can defend me if the company at one point claims that they own...

asked Dec 4 '09 at 21:00
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
3.81K Views
Managing growth in a "private office culture" startup

This question is related to another one, "Ideal office space layout - open or offices?", but I think it's worth a question of its own. There are many voices advocating that developers have to be...

asked Nov 7 '09 at 20:14
Blank
Artur Soler
206 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Is there a career in early-stage marketing?

The person I have in mind is an early-stage marketing & sales person, someone who exclusively specializes in taking early-stage startups from a beta customer or two to some point of critical...

asked Nov 18 '09 at 23:24
Blank
Cortez
26 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.97K Views
The compensation equation - what's a good mix?

Here is the compensation equation, as I see it: Equity - how much ownership one has, and when (roughly) it will be worth something Wage - how much salary one recieves Career - how the position...

asked Nov 18 '09 at 23:45
Blank
Cortez
26 points

5 Votes
10 Answers
5.41K Views
What is the elegant way to quit your current job for your startup?

I'm sure many of you have been in this situation before, where you want to quit your day job to focus more on the startup you have built. Currently I'm having a hard way to tell my employer that I...

asked Oct 26 '09 at 18:54
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.51K Views
Best resource for finding and managing freelance workers?

As a solo-preneur one really needs outside support. Consultants, freelancers, etc. Challenge is finding them, qualifying their experience, and tracking their work; as efficiently as possible as you...

asked Oct 28 '09 at 09:31
Blank
Paul O'brien
521 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.89K Views
Is it fair to go home 5 o'clock sharp so you can have more time to do your startup?

I saw this response in other thread that in order for you to get more time to build your startup, you should go home right ontime (5 o'clok sharp) everyday if you're still working for someone else....

asked Oct 28 '09 at 10:27
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

7 Votes
8 Answers
4.6K Views
Why would someone work in a startup?

I think the most essential question to ask before recruiting someone to work for your startup is to ask their main motivation to work in a startup. Those of you that have experiences with...

asked Nov 2 '09 at 10:30
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.35K Views
How do we know we're ready to grow?

Is it better to make the decision to hire based only on revenue growth? Or if you saved enough money to pay another salary for 4 months, would it be better to grow first and try to increase our...

asked Nov 2 '09 at 11:14
Blank
Max Cameron
56 points

9 Votes
12 Answers
3.65K Views
How do you allow staff to indicate they don't want to be interrupted?

We work in a small open plan office with around 20 staff. A lot of the work we do involves writing fairly technical documents and it is therefore important to allow people to sit down free from...

asked Nov 7 '09 at 02:16
Blank
Duncanmorris
46 points