Employees Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
Founders' reliance on IT manager/network admin

I am (co-)starting a company with the bought assets of my previous (software) company, dormant for over a year. The IT guy from the previous company is coming on board to help revive the server...

asked Feb 1 '11 at 09:02
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
Equity for strategic hires?

We're a small (but growing) consulting firm with software to be developed as a side stream (yes, I know this is an original story :)). 3 partners, equal equity. We've worked with a few people in...

asked Jan 16 '11 at 02:09
Blank
Sean
1,149 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
Creating an online downloadable multiplayer game

I have a concept for an online multiplayer game which would require the user to download a lobby interface to access the online content. I am looking for advice for where to look for people who...

asked Jan 21 '11 at 08:59
Blank
User6730
6 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.15K Views
As a potential employee, should I frown on "zerg hiring"?

In my job hunt, it's incredibly common for me to run into startups that have say 3 people and then have the CTO tell me "We just closed a round of funding, so we're looking to hire 3 or 4 more...

asked Jan 23 '11 at 18:57
Blank
Jason
139 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
3.7K Views
Compensation for co-founders and employees in a startup

In my earlier venture attempts, the scenario was something like 3 guys, each of whom would get 33.3%. I found out soon that this was silly because as soon as one of us lost interest, he could do...

asked Jan 8 '11 at 03:38
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.35K Views
Where/how do I find sales people, in the United States, to work for my start-up. Is there a website for this kind of situation

My start-up is finally coming together; however, I am in dire need of a solid sales team to go out into the market and attract customers. I want to pay them per store they sign-up. Can anyone refer...

asked Jan 12 '11 at 18:20
Blank
User6528
149 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.69K Views
How to motivate team members?

I have recently formed an e-learning company. Things are doing fine however I feel I need to learn how to motivate others in my company and surroundings. When I try to do that people feel I am...

asked Dec 29 '10 at 04:00
Blank
Raja
16 points

6 Votes
8 Answers
3.49K Views
As an employer should we care about the employee's welfare?

Do you think as an employer we should care about the employee's welfare? Should we care about our employees' financial difficulties, and raise their salaries [i.e because prices are going up] or...

asked Dec 5 '10 at 07:59
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
6.81K Views
How much in stock options should we offer new employees?

We're a software startup with annual revenue in the ballpark of half a million. We're completely bootstrapped, and have no current plans to take funding. We currently have 4 employees. We're...

asked Dec 11 '10 at 04:28
Blank
Polemarch
301 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.48K Views
Holiday gifts for employees

I am pretty bad with gifts and in the past years I was awarding monetary bonuses to folks who work with us. I am not particularly keen on the idea of bonuses mostly due to the fact that we can't...

asked Nov 26 '10 at 06:29
Blank
Alex
262 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.28K Views
How to handle external help in a startup

We're a startup that is made up of 4 students. 3 graduated and 1 in his final year. One has taken a job for 4 days a week and is willing to work on our projects the other 3 days. So we have 2...

asked Nov 8 '10 at 11:01
Blank
Shawn Mclean
220 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.52K Views
Does A Startup Need A Full-Time CIO For Making Investors Happy?

Here's the scenario: there's a startup with two founders (and a couple of other participants) in it working part-time while keeping their full-time, primary jobs. They are building a...

asked Nov 12 '10 at 05:34
Blank
Alphadogg
1,383 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.88K Views
Examples of Ex-Googlers/Ex-Microsofters Build Successful Companies and Have a Solid Relationship with Their Former Company?

I am looking for examples of ex-Googlers or Ex-Microsofters ( or other big companies leavers) who, after leaving the established company, went on to build their own, became hugely successful in...

asked Nov 2 '10 at 16:10
Blank
Graviton
871 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
2.4K Views
What Is The Best Way to Manage An International Startup?

My startup has employees who are in different places at different times. What is the best way to manage and to centralise files, emails, communications, ...? Would the web be the best place to start?

asked Oct 6 '10 at 11:51
Blank
Jfw
150 points

11 Votes
9 Answers
5.87K Views
How to deal with key employee who didn't show up for work?

I run a small consulting company, four people. Myself and another employee were out of the office on business today, the third was on a requested and agreed upon vacation. The fourth did not show...

asked Sep 10 '10 at 12:04
Blank
Xkenneth
140 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.99K Views
Hiring an in-office writer

I am in the process of moving my home website business into commercial office space because I need to hire an employee (or two) to help with all of the work. I need to hire a writer - but the...

asked Jul 19 '10 at 23:02
Blank
Steampunk
166 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.21K Views
Starting New School 2nd Question

Also, Initially we will be starting as a business/entrepreneurship school. I've toyed with two ideas for teachers. Experience entrepreneurs or somewhat experienced generalists that have great and...

asked Jul 7 '10 at 16:23
Blank
Ryan Chatterton
921 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
4.01K Views
Staff numbers "rules of thumb"

I am looking for "rules of thumb", or estimates for the numbers of staff required for a startup through growth. For example how many developers per manager, how many support staff per customer,...

asked May 27 '10 at 00:33
Blank
Ian Wilson
88 points

12 Votes
6 Answers
4.09K Views
How to reward early employees?

In many startups there are some #1 or #2 employees who helped the whole business all the way. I've got couple guys like that, I'd love to give them more than the salary (even though our salaries...

asked Mar 28 '10 at 00:28
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.59K Views
What qualification and/or skills should I look for while hiring a web designer?

I am about to launch a website, which I got created through a freelancer. However, I am not very pleased with freelancer's performance and plan to hire someone full-time to make required iterations...

asked Apr 2 '10 at 03:32
Blank
Joydeep
185 points