Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.31K Views
steps/tips to create an online company

A friend of mine and I are planning to start a new company in the US. He and I are full time employees on different companies, but we are planning to invest out of work hours/weekends to start our...

asked Mar 11 '11 at 07:03
Blank
Tivo
35 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
Legal issues around selling anonymised data?

I'm thinking of starting a business. It would be a website that would act much like a social-bookmarking site. It would be funded by selling data about websites and this data would be collected...

asked Mar 11 '11 at 18:13
Blank
Dan Waterworth
118 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.9K Views
Conflict of Interest Scenarios

Do any of the following six scenarios give rise to Conflict of Interest, for me and my company and/or for the other person and his company: I appoint a well-connected professional on my company's...

asked Mar 13 '11 at 12:41
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.47K Views
Can I expect a distributor to indemnify against patent infringement?

I've developed a low volume high priced product, which I currently sell in the EU market. A UK based company would like to sell my product in countries including the US. I don't want to start...

asked Mar 13 '11 at 18:21
Blank
Steven F
66 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
4.74K Views
What is a good template legal document used for beta testing phase?

Is there any legal documents or agreements that I need to show to my beta testers? Basically cover things like, they won't decompile it, that I am not responsible for any damage etc. I don't...

asked Feb 22 '11 at 17:46
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.7K Views
When a reseller is in the middle who signs software license Agreement?

I am licensing my software to my software distributor reseller. My reseller wants to use my license agreement that should be signed between us and Licensee. Does that make sense? If it does then...

asked Feb 10 '11 at 05:27
Blank
Stacey
484 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.28K Views
Is there an online network of independent lawyers looking for one-off or quick work?

I'm looking for a network that matches lawyers to people looking to get a contract written or have a bit of legal work done. I know there are lots of freelancing sites and networks out there for...

asked Feb 14 '11 at 15:11
Blank
Tbaums
298 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.36K Views
Can I be sued for a website that posts to other websites?

here in my country there are a lot of sell-buy-type sites like ebay somewhat. Two of them are the most popular. I'm thinking in creating a website that when you list something to sell, it...

asked Feb 15 '11 at 06:08
Blank
Carlosdubusm
16 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.48K Views
What type of agreement for a software sales rep who handles software installations?

I need an agreement for this but not sure what type of agreement for this. I have an independent sales agent who want to market our software and provide installation and first level customer...

asked Feb 16 '11 at 06:34
Blank
Stacey
484 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
What type of agreement to secure an intent to buy?

I worked with a new partner to create a customer before we signed a var agreement.(we had a NDA though) We sold the customer our software but the actual contract for the sale will not take place...

asked Feb 17 '11 at 01:27
Blank
Stacey
484 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
Should a software license and maintenance support be on same agreement?

If I am selling to an SMB or enterprise should I have seperate agreements for license and annual maintenance /tech support?

asked Feb 17 '11 at 02:56
Blank
Stacey
484 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
Software distributor or Sales Agent which one makes more sense?

A company (which consist of one person) wants to sell my software (underour brand name and license agreement) but wants to do installation and 1st level support to the customer but doesn't want to...

asked Feb 18 '11 at 04:22
Blank
Stacey
484 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.03K Views
Partnering on an idea with 2 separate and distinct companies

I am in a current situation that I need some advice on, I think it will be easiest to explain with a simplified example. I am involved in a startup company that specializes in software development...

asked Feb 19 '11 at 08:17
Blank
Shane
326 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
3.48K Views
Revenue Split - I am doing 100% of the programming work, he's the idea man

My friend had a fantastic idea for an iPhone game. I am currently working on it, as he lacks the technical expertise at the moment to work on such a large project. Here's my problem: what is an...

asked Feb 20 '11 at 12:35
Blank
Brobd
53 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.64K Views
Trademark infringement on product name

This may seem a little off topic and I apologize, but this is the closest SE site I can think to post on regarding my issue. I live in the state of Illinois. I have an app in the Apple iPhone...

asked Jan 26 '11 at 15:02
Blank
Maq
197 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.81K Views
Is it legal using virtual currency in a swapping stuff website?

The site www.listia.com uses credits as a way to buy goods through auctions. These credits are not real money with the exception that you can buy more credits with real money if you desperately...

asked Jan 27 '11 at 18:46
Blank
Shir
51 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.52K Views
Is it ok to aggregate headlines and republish them?

I have an idea for a web app that will target to a specific audience and will collect news and blog articles, analyze them (for keywords, trending topics and more) and then display the article...

asked Jan 30 '11 at 18:41
Blank
Mike T
174 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.35K Views
Can anyone share experiences in licensing content?

I have two companies that have interest in licensing my business's content (training materials). I want to offer exclusive and non-exclusive pricing options, maintenance fees (for annual updates),...

asked Jan 31 '11 at 07:22
Blank
User6935
36 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
4.2K Views
For a Corporation (S-Corp) that I run out of my home, which expenses can the Corporation pay for?

I've formed an S-Corp in California for a small local business. Like many small business owners I'll be operating the business out of my home. What expenses can the corporation pay for without...

asked Feb 1 '11 at 08:08
Blank
Mcohen75
157 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.91K Views
Does someone violate copyright laws when quoting song lyrics?

I know there are tons of sites out there that list song lyrics that are surrounded with advertisements and pop up ads. I don't imagine the song writers had this in mind when they were writing their...

asked Feb 6 '11 at 07:20
Blank
Scott
468 points