Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
How to organize a multi-national startup, with distributed work between its members, located in different parts of the world?

How to organize a startup, which contains different people from different parts of the world with no common office? Where to register it? How to deal with taxes? Which legal issues could arise?...

asked Dec 10 '10 at 22:42
Blank
Psihodelia
137 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.82K Views
Online sale without any presence in USA?

We selling in India via e-commerce website. We are in talks with few logistic companies to help us build logistics (warehouse and home delivery) in USA. Do you think this is legally possible or we...

asked Dec 15 '10 at 02:26
Blank
Manuj
51 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
Is there a minimum amount of money to become taxable?

Is there such thing as not making enough money to get taxed in NY state? What is that amount?

asked Nov 21 '10 at 09:38
Blank
Moshe
409 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
Where to Research / Purchase Keyman Insurance

My partner and I have been looking for keyman life insurance so one or the other could buy our equity if we were to be disabled or killed; however, finding information about a policy is difficult....

asked Nov 22 '10 at 06:29
Blank
Kyle West
708 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.94K Views
Where should I set up my global internet business?

Is there a widely recognised 'best place of business' for global social-media style internet businesses, and what are the considerations? Considerations I'm thinking about are taxation, regulation,...

asked Nov 25 '10 at 19:48
Blank
Trish
186 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
2.54K Views
Falsify address of company on hosting website

My problem is that we're planning on using Windows Azure hosting, but we're from Jamaica. Windows Azure does not yet allow hosting in Jamaica. Is it okay for a company to falsify an address to get...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 01:26
Blank
Shawn Mclean
220 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Specific startup tax question and other starting advice

I'm in the process of creating a startup. Right now it's just a series of apps in the iTunes app store but there's a ton more I want to do with it. The apps were made available for sale almost 3...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 10:09
Blank
Jan
143 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
Would I have to patent my computer systems in order to produce them and sell them to markets?

Would I have to patent my computer systems (such as desktops and laptops) in order to produce them and sell them to markets? Similar to Dell and HP would operate.

asked Dec 1 '10 at 14:43
Blank
User5732
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
Legal issues with a sports gambling startup

I am working on a startup that deals with sports gambling. Real money is not wagered on the site but can be involved outside of the site, similar to an office pool. My startup is at the point where...

asked Nov 6 '10 at 21:51
Blank
Dornz
16 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
5.39K Views
Maintaining LLC control with less than 50% ownership

Hopefully someone can gimme a hand. This is actually a question for a school project, but I've got some ideas kicking in my head for a startup, so I have good cause to know this for personal...

asked Nov 7 '10 at 08:30
Blank
Matt H.
130 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.75K Views
Registrations for E-Retail business in USA

We plan to start e-retail (online retail business of organic products) in USA and would like to know the following: - Do we need to take license to start online business? - Any registration...

asked Nov 13 '10 at 05:07
Blank
Manuj
51 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
2.66K Views
New startup advice

I work for a church here in California as a gfx designer. 8 months ago I had an idea for a web service we could use at the church I work at. I spoke to my pastor (boss) about the idea and he said...

asked Nov 13 '10 at 06:13
Blank
User5366
31 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.9K Views
Legality of building a brand based on color association?

I'd like to create a brand, naturally, but I have a problem. You see, there are only so many colors in the world and the number of colors has not changed much since the 1980s, when software...

asked Nov 18 '10 at 05:53
Blank
Moshe
409 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.39K Views
What type of legal agreement makes sense for joint venture?

I have a reseller who would like to buy a licensed version of our software product and share the revenues we make on the joint sale of the product within a specific territory. What type of...

asked Nov 19 '10 at 04:39
Blank
Stacey
484 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
How do you know someone signing an agreement has the right to do so?

Always, wondered this, and never found a good answer. Guess the opposite applies, too -- how do you know someone does NOT have the right to enter a legal agreement on behalf of a company? Please...

asked Oct 23 '10 at 05:01
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.3K Views
Question about prepaid accounts for an online site

I am in the early stages of developing a site that tries to provide a direct way of rewarding photographers who provide good material. Its a small idea but I want to implement it and see how the...

asked Oct 25 '10 at 22:02
Blank
K Seudo
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
Creating a QA site - Becoming a lot like SE

I wanted to create a new website that was a Question and Answer site in a specific niche (one that SE is not in right now). My problem is that the more I design and create the website, the closer...

asked Oct 26 '10 at 03:24
Blank
Martin
1,340 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.23K Views
Set-up Online Store (e-commerce) in USA

We are based in India and wish to set-up online store of Organic Products (Food and Textile) in USA under a brand name. I have few questions about this: - Do we need to set-up a company there i.e....

asked Oct 26 '10 at 18:44
Blank
Manuj
51 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.56K Views
Freelance Web Designer - Should I do LLC or just file SE 1040

Just keeping it simple. I am a freelance web designer, I have an accountant, and I take payments payable to my name. Is there any reason I should form an LLC? Am I safe to continue doing what I'm...

asked Oct 27 '10 at 11:30
Blank
Justin
76 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.71K Views
Cheapest way to llc/merchant account?

My current startup(which consists of two) is going through incorporation, registering the merchant account and hooking it up with Braintree. I saw Jason L Baptiste's interview on Mixergy where he...

asked Nov 1 '10 at 04:14
Blank
Emil Hajric
161 points