Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.2K Views
Distribution contract review rates and services

I would like to have a distribution contract reviewed by a lawyer specialized in worldwide intellectual property, to ensure that the contract is fair for all parties involved. I asked to one...

asked Aug 9 '10 at 21:46
Blank
Hpique
103 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
5.1K Views
1099 limitations of how much work you can give a contractor. Need some help with that

I think I am pretty good (having dealt with tons of contractor developers) at staying within independent contractor rules and keeping the Labor Department at bay, when it comes to using...

asked Aug 10 '10 at 08:17
Blank
Apollo Sinkevicius
3,323 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
Are there legal concerns for creating add ons for large applications?

I know this is more of a legal/lawyer question, but I'm sure others have run across this at some point so any insight is helpful. I'm looking to create a mISV which builds and sells add on tools...

asked Aug 10 '10 at 23:22
Blank
Joe Doyle
105 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
What would be the best way to setup my company?

I currently have a 2 other sites I have with different people. I am currently working on my own project that is totally different from those other websites. I am looking to setup a company as...

asked Aug 17 '10 at 22:44
Blank
Jdeleon
70 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.13K Views
Should I incorporate myself, use a high end law firm, or somewhere in the middle?

I am launching a startup (who isnt :) ) and while I am not planning on looking for outside funding, I'd like to leave the option on the table in the event that I catch a tiger by the tail (meaning...

asked Jun 19 '10 at 01:00
Blank
Ev Conrad
561 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Potential liability in guaging the interest of potential partners?

I am nearing readiness to launch a site for which I am looking to bring on a couple of SMEs (existing market participants) as sweat equity partners. I am drafting a letter to gauge the interest of...

asked Jun 24 '10 at 04:29
Blank
Mike In Philly
8 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.02K Views
Did you use an incorporation service? What service did you use?

There are a good amount of services that help you incorporate your startup for S Corp, C Corp or LLC, like Incorporate.com and Agents & Corporations. They help you put together the documents...

asked May 17 '10 at 01:43
Blank
Mark Bao
604 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.9K Views
What's the most important thing that startups should know about tax (in the US)?

Tax is a strange thing to deal with. What's the most important thing that incorporated startups in the US should know about tax?

asked May 20 '10 at 04:07
Blank
Mark Bao
604 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.5K Views
What's the best way to execute a provisional patent filing?

I'm working on getting a SaaS start-up off the ground. Right now I'm focusing on building a "launch-able" prototype to help me in conversations with potential partners and investors. Some of the...

asked May 24 '10 at 06:45
Blank
Ellery
96 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.86K Views
How do I find a good lawyer?

I am bootstrapping a startup and need legal help with: Creating terms of service and privacy policy Registering the business Consult for advice whenever needed Do you suggest: Finding an online...

asked Apr 23 '10 at 08:51
Blank
User2306
232 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.84K Views
When should I register a LLC/S Corp?

I currently have a website in beta. I am not earning anything (for now) with this site. It doesn't have terms of service or the privacy policy listed on it. It appears that some people's opinion...

asked Apr 23 '10 at 09:22
Blank
User2306
232 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
Foreign Incorporation utilizing USA

I'm a Canadian citizen living in Canada and I've been investigating putting together a US-based corporation. My partner is a US citizen, but it appears that it will be difficult for me to be able...

asked Apr 24 '10 at 07:08
Blank
Startup Advice
55 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.06K Views
First steps to starting an LLC?

I would like to get advice from others on what steps I should take before starting an LLC. I want to offer software development services through my company, and just want some pointers on things I...

asked Apr 26 '10 at 10:44
Blank
Thomas
116 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3K Views
Feasibility of this type of iPhone app

Let's say I create a mobile application that contains a "Top 100" list of local restaurants. Value-adds may include directions, integration with OpenTable, and links to the restaurant menu, among...

asked Apr 28 '10 at 02:49
Blank
Seenu
428 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
59.7K Views
Signing an NDA as an individual, not a company

I feel my question is silly, mainly because I am unaware of the English legal terms. I am in the process of (legally) forming a small company for videogame development. I have created a game which...

asked May 1 '10 at 02:08
Blank
Bill
128 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.55K Views
Protections for minority shareholder in SHA (shareholders agreement)

We are in early startup phase. One founder has a big majority stake and we are co-founders with small 5 minority stake. We have good relations and we are happy with the stakes, but we would like to...

asked May 4 '10 at 23:59
Blank
Waldec
11 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
3.85K Views
To what extent are algorithms patentable, especially in the US and Europe?

I'd like to use an algorithm that has been published. It's not a must have for me, but would be convenient. The creator might be difficult to contact, but that's obviously not a reason to do the...

asked May 6 '10 at 01:07
Blank
J Delage
277 points

8 Votes
3 Answers
2.61K Views
Have you had actual legal issues in a startup?

In getting started we all take shortcuts. I'm thinking about when we: hire employees without having employee manuals or making them agree that they are at-will employees enter into an agreement...

asked Apr 15 '10 at 12:34
Blank
Dane
1,866 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
What is the process required/recommended to convert a website into an LLC?

Given that I have a website that is making revenue, live in California, and would like it to be claimed under an LLC, what is the process to accomplish this? Should I be forming a sole...

asked Apr 20 '10 at 06:24
Blank
Matthew
118 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.01K Views
Time and money for early-stage merger (or acqusition) of companies?

How much time and money does an early stage merger take? I have an unfunded startup. I am talking to a company that has completed their Round A. It seems like they might want to acquire / merge...

asked Mar 6 '10 at 10:59
Blank
John
96 points