Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

18 Votes
7 Answers
4.89K Views
What can you do when someone blatantly plagiarizes an entire blog post?

It's nice when folks quote parts of your post with a link back. It's another thing when the entire RSS entry is duplicated verbatim, including my "Retweet" buttons and the "Please leave a comment"...

asked Mar 19 '10 at 02:00
Blank
Jason
16,231 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
Sending money to users

I'm considering building a system that allows our users to purchase points, trade them between themselves, then cash them in for real currency. The system will work like this: User A buys points...

asked Mar 27 '10 at 02:24
Blank
Codebeef
148 points

3 Votes
7 Answers
2.38K Views
Best source for restriction free photos

I need help finding images with the right licensing for my application. I need to find images with a license that will allow me to: Have the users of my web application change the stock photo...

asked Feb 23 '10 at 13:42
Blank
Jon Kragh
185 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.99K Views
Recommendations for a rating/review website

I'm building a web platform to allow users rate/review a niche group of organizations and consultants. I would love to blog about the development process and design decisions. Should I keep my...

asked Feb 24 '10 at 08:26
Blank
Boolean
388 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
4.49K Views
Do I need a Registred Agent (I'm using CSC) in Delaware?

My startup is Delaware C Corp incorporated since 1 year and a half. It didn't have any activities until now, and won't for 3 or 4 more months. I just paid the Delaware Annual Franchise Tax directly...

asked Feb 24 '10 at 09:11
Blank
El Magistral
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
Startup Visa: How can we secure funding from abroad? Is it flawed?

There is a proposal lately to push the US government to create a startup visa for brilliant innovators/entrepreneus from outside USA. With this visa, it is said that these innovators will be...

asked Feb 25 '10 at 13:05
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
5.14K Views
What does it entail to form LLC in Nevada, if I live outside Nevada?

What does it entail to form LLC in Nevada if I live outside Nevada? I would like to benefit from Nevada's tax/business-friendly laws. I would be the sole founder a software business. The...

asked Feb 26 '10 at 16:16
Blank
Bill Paetzke
397 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.41K Views
Is it possible for a teen to form an LLC or C-Corp?

Is it possible for a teen to form an LLC/C-Corp? If so, what are the costs, the process and the requirements? I'm a US Citizen but currently live in Bosnia. I'm 17, turning 18 on December 2nd.

asked Mar 3 '10 at 06:14
Blank
Emil Hajric
161 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
4.26K Views
Business selling MP3 downloads - License necessary?

A few friends and I are looking at starting a sideline business selling mp3 versions of various creative commons works (can't get into too many more details). We've done the legwork on the legal...

asked Feb 4 '10 at 01:41
Blank
Tommy Maddox
156 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.56K Views
California Business Law

For the purposes of this questions, let's say I have a domain example.com. Eventually, I want to form Example LLC in California, where I live. However, at this point in time, I don't want to,...

asked Feb 4 '10 at 15:12
Blank
Waiwai933
163 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
2.81K Views
Start with LLC and convert to corporation later

Is it possible to start with an LLC to avoid the overhead and convert to a corporation later when there is some visible traction and need for raising funds from outside investors?

asked Feb 5 '10 at 10:59
Blank
Abhay Vardhan
126 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
5.84K Views
Mutual or Unilateral NDA?

Which do you think is better to begin a relationship with a vendor/contractor or partner/co-founder? What are some of the advantages or disadvantages of choosing one over the other? Thanks

asked Feb 5 '10 at 11:37
Blank
Newyuppie
441 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Securing contract with a freelancer

I wonder - is it possible to sign a contract with a freelancer for a regular contract job securely? I mean how can I justify that all the work he has done will be given to my company and nobody...

asked Feb 12 '10 at 05:34
Blank
Kirill Blazhko
393 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.3K Views
book name as Tag line for my website -- intellectual property issues

I am planning to use the name of a book (about 3-4 yrs old) as the tag line of my website. Its three words long. What are the IP issues here, how do i know if i can use it legally or if the author...

asked Feb 16 '10 at 10:44
Blank
Syed
445 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.52K Views
Bootstrapped Startup - What Legal Forms to Put In place

I am looking for a co-founder now for a project that would love to get up and running. As an initial formality are there any documents out there that can outline in basic terms what each person is...

asked Feb 17 '10 at 15:56
Blank
Aaron
124 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.62K Views
Can you use a domain name that includes a product name from another company?

Can you use a domain name that includes a product or company name from another company? For example, could I register a domain starbucks-reviews.com and make reviews of starbucks shops? Or...

asked Feb 18 '10 at 01:25
Blank
Damian
86 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.77K Views
How did Apple manage to get its trademark?

I mean, isn't "Apple" a bit generic ? Could that kind of word still be trademarked in 2010 or would the request be rejected ?

asked Jan 21 '10 at 11:00
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

10 Votes
4 Answers
8.34K Views
Founders Agreement

Can anyone recommend a place where I can download standard founders-agreement for a tech-startup? Preferably, it should include something about founders vesting (e.g. founders will become diluted...

asked Jan 21 '10 at 18:59
Blank
Murkin
184 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
14.6K Views
Can non-dilutable stock (or equivalent) be issued?

I think I understand stock dilution (and I know in quite some cases it's not bad to get diluted) but I was wondering (it's mostly curiosity but I still think it's an interesting question for...

asked Jan 22 '10 at 08:10
Blank
Tristan St.
180 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
4.43K Views
Internet startup - Legal terms and company setup

I am working on a internet startup, living in New York City. I am planning to setup a company and I am looking for a good Lawyer to help me with the following: a) Setup the company (prob Corp) b)...

asked Jan 25 '10 at 14:59
Blank
User2351
56 points