Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
Accepting money too early

I want to start charging for some features on my site, but I don't have the business side sorted out yet. As a South African, I was thinking of starting an LLC in Delaware for example and my...

asked Jan 26 '10 at 00:49
Blank
Matthew
108 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
Offering Google Apps accounts to customers

I'm starting a business that helps small businesses build and maintain a website. I will be managing most aspects of the website, including domain names and email addresses. I like the idea of...

asked Jan 26 '10 at 02:21
Blank
Jacob
138 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
4.78K Views
What's a good book for learning business law?

Most books on business rarely talk about the legal side of business. After reading some business books I have realised that there's so many things about legal side of business that we have to...

asked Jan 30 '10 at 20:32
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.14K Views
Google APIs - what's the story with their licensing?

My new build package features a link with Google maps. However, having had a look at their terms and conditions, I am unsure exactly where I stand with integrating their tools within my chargeable...

asked Jan 31 '10 at 04:45
Blank
Dr. Phil
86 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.85K Views
Legal issues with contract labor?

Are there any legal pitfalls I should know about when creating a service where I pay users to provide a service to customers? The model I'm thinking about is like Amazon Turk for a certain...

asked Jan 10 '10 at 06:37
Blank
User2212
11 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
6.4K Views
Do I need an NDA for initial meetings with marketing agencies?

We are a new start-up currently building a CRM/Sales team management package that we plan to bring to market in a couple of months (we are based in UK). We already have our launch customers in...

asked Jan 11 '10 at 20:56
Blank
Dr. Phil
86 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
8.93K Views
buying a customer list

we have been approached by a competitor going out of business of website design to buy their customer list. as exciting this might be it also might bring various issues to the table and to take...

asked Jan 16 '10 at 21:58
Blank
Gobezu
101 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
5.56K Views
Anyone started a company while on H1B visa?

Has anyone here started a company while on H1B worker visa? If yes, what legal issues did you face? Could you explain how you overcame those issues?

asked Jan 19 '10 at 00:28
Blank
User2143
56 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
2.62K Views
partner messing around with employees

a bit unusual maybe but a real life encounter and might be a lesson for some of you and for me too in terms of what to do here and after from fellow startupers a partner in 2 various start-up...

asked Jan 19 '10 at 15:11
Blank
Gobezu
101 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.87K Views
Royalty based partnering agreements

I'm working on defining a partnering agreement to be the technical co-founder on a SaaS startup. The founder/CEO has the experience in the service industry which we are targeting, but found that...

asked Jan 3 '10 at 03:46
Blank
Torrie
230 points

10 Votes
1 Answers
7.74K Views
Putting Together a Privacy Policy and Terms of Service

I am putting together a privacy policy and terms of service. I have read these two posts: http://answers.onstartups.com/questions/2783/where-to-start-writing-a-terms-of-service-privacy-policy...

asked Jan 3 '10 at 15:55
Blank
Matt
460 points

9 Votes
2 Answers
9.5K Views
Is there a legal way for a foreigner to start a business in US?

I am on a work visa (H1-B) in the US. From what I understand, the only way for me to make money is through my employer. I've some skills that I think I can use to create a product (or website...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 06:20
Blank
User2143
56 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
4.48K Views
How to build a strong "Divorce Strategy" in an Operating Agreement

What types of things might I think about and incorporate into my operating agreement as it relates to a "divorce strategy" (either amicably or not). Please respond with good questions my partner...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 08:12
Blank
Scott Blanc
90 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.56K Views
are payments processors mutually exclusive?

I'm bootstrapping a software business for the first time. I worked in 'stealth mode' for one full-year and now I've got about 100 private-beta-testers loving the software (and already begging for...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 10:18
Blank
Tristan St.
180 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
4.3K Views
NDA, should I sign it?

I have this open-source project I run (http://www.mediabrowser.tv ) a few months ago I posted on the business of software forum and my blog that I need to find a way to monetize it. Since, I have...

asked Dec 11 '09 at 14:53
Blank
Sam Saffron
432 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
8.72K Views
Is it legal in US or Canada to accept donations?

Is it legal (US/Canada) to accept donations if you're not a government registered non-profit organization? I've seen it on a couple of sites and was wondering what are the laws surrounding those...

asked Dec 12 '09 at 13:34
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.81K Views
Legal document checklist (NDA, ...) when hiring part-time developers abroad?

I'm currently hiring some part-time developer abroad and wanted to make sure that I made them sign all the needed legal documents. So, normally in those cases, what would you make those future...

asked Dec 14 '09 at 15:59
Blank
Gommm
265 points

10 Votes
3 Answers
12K Views
Is it legal to copy a user interface?

Is it a copyright infringement to copy a user interface? I'm not talking about the specific graphics, but the layout and the way users interact with the application. For example, Blippy 's UI...

asked Dec 16 '09 at 02:31
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
9.62K Views
Should I agree to an indemnification clause?

I have a sole proprietorship in Canada, and sell software that I have created to corporations in the US. One of them has asked for an indemnification clause. First of all, I don't know how to write...

asked Dec 16 '09 at 13:16
Blank
Steve Hanov
596 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
4.84K Views
Is it ridiculous of me to ask for changes to a companies standard NDA agreement?

A client of ours recently asked us to sign their standard NDA. We also deal with many of their competitors. We have not signed any NDA's before. They want us to sign the NDA so that they can share...

asked Nov 23 '09 at 01:59
Blank
Todd
18 points