Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

8 Votes
3 Answers
2.94K Views
How to relieve customer's concerns about what happens to my one-man startup web service if I die?

I own an S Corporation that has launched a niche market web service and have signed up a few customers. I'm still very much bootstrapping this and doing everything myself (a one-man show). I'm...

asked Nov 2 '10 at 16:40
Blank
Tauren
240 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
YCombinator Silicon Valley Re-Location

I'm not a US Citizen and I live in Canada. I'm not a Canadian Citizen either. I'm in Canada on a Study Permit. I believe I have some ideas that can be turned into Startups and eventually into...

asked Nov 6 '10 at 03:34
Blank
Jasdeep Singh
118 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Competing products -- what's the law?

I had an idea for a web app about 3 years ago, but I haven't had time to build it. This year I've finally got some time and some interest/availability from a colleague, so we've decided to begin...

asked Oct 9 '10 at 10:36
Blank
User4732
28 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.09K Views
Patents for Content Management Systems

I'm currently developing a Content Management System designed to manage video media. I have taken a look online and seen that there have been (US) patents filed for content management systems in...

asked Oct 10 '10 at 00:52
Blank
Richard
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
6.82K Views
What is the difference between a reseller and distributor agreement?

I have a new partner that would like to resell our software under a white label or co-brand arrangement. They will also be handling some IT services surround the product but they will not be...

asked Oct 15 '10 at 03:21
Blank
Stacey
484 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Trademarks on company name - would "BodyLife" and "BodyForLife" collide?

I'm trying to understand how similarities in trademarks are dealt with. To take an example (that I used in a previous unrelated question), assuming a trademark existed for "BodyLife", a company...

asked Oct 19 '10 at 20:47
Blank
J Delage
277 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.84K Views
Is it fair use/protected use to use a registered trademark on my website

We provide software that can measure performance of another company's product which happens to be trademarked (word/phrase - not a symbol). We want to name it specifically. Is this protected/fair...

asked Oct 21 '10 at 15:08
Blank
Tim J
8,346 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.69K Views
How do I protect myself from being cut out once the core software is built?

Not that I have any reason to suspect that this would happen, but to be diligent, I need some advice on this. I have been invited on board with a promising new Software as a Service web project,...

asked Oct 22 '10 at 05:31
Blank
Bomb Defused
227 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.09K Views
Legal restrictions and tax regulations in global ecommerce

Currently, with all the power the Internet provides, it's relatively easy to start online business. There are no obvious restrictions on the process. A business from almost any location can sell...

asked Sep 25 '10 at 18:32
Blank
Rem
352 points

12 Votes
4 Answers
8.51K Views
How can I quit from my own company

I co-founded a consulting company in Vancouver 4 years ago with 2 partners. One of us is working full-time with the company and getting a modest salary. Me and my other partner are doing couple of...

asked Sep 26 '10 at 10:35
Blank
Boolean
388 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.46K Views
When should a startup ask employees to sign NDA?

There are lots of contradictory opinions on signing (or not signing) an NDA. The position on this mostly depends on the point of view: is it an employee's point of view or an employer's one. In...

asked Oct 2 '10 at 18:23
Blank
Rem
352 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
What type of work should I not do before being incorporated?

I'm working on an idea (consumer web) but am not yet incorporated. I am considering farming out some work to free lancers. Is there any issue in doing that before incorporation? What about my own...

asked Oct 9 '10 at 00:52
Blank
J Delage
277 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.11K Views
Umbrella Company

My dad also loved the business plan I had. He has his own company (which is not even close to what I am doing). He registered it as a sole proprietorship. He is an engineer so thats his company. He...

asked Aug 28 '10 at 10:27
Blank
Bhargav Patel
784 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
Build an online dictionary by combining several printed dictionaries. Is it legal?

I intend to build an online application for defining the meaning of words, synonyms, etc. in a certain language. This information will come from a combination of printed dictionaries. I'm almost...

asked Sep 1 '10 at 17:51
Blank
Dyn Zack
216 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.65K Views
Should I look for an attorney that is in another city?

I live in Houston, but many of the attorneys that deal with software startups (the type of business I'm involved in) are in Austin. Is it wise to find an attorney in another city to handle business...

asked Sep 10 '10 at 08:46
Blank
Javid Jamae
347 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.67K Views
What do I need to do legally for an evening and weekends web startup? (UK)

I'm currently working on a web app and associated blog, mainly for experience in web design and marketing, but also to hopefully make a bit of extra money on the side. I work full time so this is...

asked Sep 13 '10 at 02:19
Blank
James
173 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
Is it legal to re-use web design from a GNU public license project?

I found a web design layout that I like, and it is from a GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE open source project. Will I run into any legal issues here? I know I should talk to a lawyer, but just curious...

asked Sep 22 '10 at 03:51
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
UK employment law - equality & diversity

I'm trying to find out if there are any regulations regarding the implementation of diversity/equality policies in the UK. Personally I feel that true equality is completely blind and I would...

asked Sep 23 '10 at 17:44
Blank
Benmcfc
138 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.47K Views
Startup in United states

If I need to start a company in United states what are the procedures and legal affairs? From where I can get more information on this? I'm not a U.S Citizen.

asked Sep 23 '10 at 22:16
Blank
Sarat
134 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.62K Views
Wanting to create another startup, should I create another LLC?

I already have one "startup" going, which is my web development job on the side. I have created an LLC for that. I now what to start another startup in a whole other industry. It will basically...

asked Sep 23 '10 at 22:52
Blank
Martin
1,340 points