LLC Questions

A corporate structure whose members cannot be held personally liable for the company's debts or liabilities. Combines characteristics of corporations and partnerships or sole proprietorship.

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.33K Views
Didn't file LLC tax return for first calendar year, but no income/outflow

I formed an LLC 18 months ago, in 2010. Nothing happened in 2010- it didn't issue equity; it didn't have any income; and it didn't have any expenses (other than formation expenses, which I paid...

asked Mar 19 '12 at 06:55
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.99K Views
Need to include expenses you paid yourself on an LLC's tax return?

I may have made a goof here and want to fix any problems. I formed an LLC in 2010. In 2010 and early 2011, I paid the LLC's expenses out of my own bank account, using my own checks, and I had no...

asked Mar 20 '12 at 21:32
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
7.78K Views
If I sell my LLC in an equity deal will I be taxed for long term capital gains?

I founded a startup in late 2008, as a sole proprietorship LLC. I was the only member in the LLC. It stayed that way until August of 2011, less than a year ago, when I added a minority partner to...

asked Mar 22 '12 at 04:26
Blank
Arbingersys
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
Setting up a small business in United States with Canadian citizenship?

Where can I find more information on setting up a small business in USA as a Canadian citizen? I need to incorporate in the USA, would this automatically allow me to work in USA? Or does there need...

asked Mar 24 '12 at 15:53
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.55K Views
Forming an LLC-living in CA, related permits, tax treatment

My scenario: I currently reside in CA. However, I will be locating to the state of Washington by the end of 2012. I (no other employees) am starting a 100% online service-based company, which will...

asked Mar 7 '12 at 10:53
Blank
Karen
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
What if I decide that I want to change the state that I formed my LLC in to a different state?

For example, say I form my LLC in Delaware and then decide several months down the road or maybe even a couple years down the road that I want to change the state to Florida and form my LLC in...

asked Mar 7 '12 at 20:38
Blank
Kay
9 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
4.23K Views
Address to use? - Registering as a Foreign LLC in CA, formed in Delaware

I have a home business and clients will never need to come to my home in order for my business to operate. If I form my LLC in Delaware, I will have to register as a Foreign LLC for the state that...

asked Mar 8 '12 at 06:09
Blank
User16817
63 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.66K Views
I formed an LLC on November last yr and dissolved it on December, should I report this LLC to IRS?

I formed a Delaware LLC on November last year, and soon I found that the c-corp is more suitable for my situation, so I decided to dissolve this LLC, it has been dissolved on December last year...

asked Feb 25 '12 at 09:12
Blank
Silent
111 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.28K Views
LLC profit/loss distribution in case of mid year ownership change

I understand that profit/loss is distributed among the LLC owners according to their ownership stakes. What about if profit/loss if the ownership stakes change? Say for example, there are 3...

asked Feb 26 '12 at 15:49
Blank
Timecapsule
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
11.2K Views
Non-diluting equity for founders on an early startup LLC

The CEO of a LLC early startup plans to assign non-dilutable equity to the founders. Each founder will take a small amount of equity, leaving a pool for future employees and investors. IMHO, what...

asked Feb 11 '12 at 02:38
Blank
Anon User
62 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.97K Views
Equity split and keeping control of an early startup LLC in the long term

The CEO of an early stage LLC plans to keep control of the company in the long term. To achieve this, he plans on keeping at least 51% of the equity. The company has 6 founders in total. While it...

asked Feb 11 '12 at 04:31
Blank
Anon User
62 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
4.83K Views
Selling assets of my company, can I treat as capital gains tax at 15%?

I've been approached by people wanting to buy the assets (not stock) of my company (single member llc) which consist primarily of my mobile app its source code the server code that supports the...

asked Feb 12 '12 at 10:39
Blank
Kirk
26 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.67K Views
Tax obligations of foreign operations for a US LLC

I live in a country where corruption and bureaucracy are widespread. Opening a business takes months and costs a lot of money, and will require one to hire somebody solely for handling all...

asked Feb 15 '12 at 23:55
Blank
User
192 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
7.07K Views
Should I form my LLC in NY or NJ for a mobile app company?

Two friends and myself are developing a mobile app that we will sell on the Apple app store and the Android marketplace. We have decided to form an LLC to sell the application. Two of us are...

asked Feb 17 '12 at 01:58
Blank
Frank
26 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.16K Views
What is the definition of capital account?

It seems that it's a virtual term. It is not a bank account. It is the net result of gains-losses. And it seems that there are two types of such accounts – the llc's, and members'. The account...

asked Feb 3 '12 at 08:04
Blank
Startup1
90 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
A start up with 10k award, formed LLC, now how to pay my tax

I have a start up that received 10k award from a business competition. I formed LLC to start my business, now my question is how can I minimize my tax reliability. 1) Should I state in my return...

asked Feb 3 '12 at 15:56
Blank
Josh
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.65K Views
Undisclosed equity: advantages and disadvantages

The CEO of a LLC early startup plans to distribute equity among the founders. Each founder will not know how much equity the other founder has. What are the advantages and the disadvantages of...

asked Feb 6 '12 at 23:14
Blank
Anon User
62 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
LLC Tax Laws ::: Groupon Vouchers

TheCompany, LLC is a Groupon type service that offers local business discounts in the form of a redeemable voucher. I, TheCompany.com will offer a platform that businesses can make "Daily Deal"...

asked Feb 7 '12 at 08:07
Blank
Dan Kanze
118 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.79K Views
I can't seem to find this answer anywhere regarding LLC

I live in CT but I have office space in NH, where would I register for an LLC? I don't plan on moving there and have employees in NH, so what should I do?

asked Feb 8 '12 at 05:19
Blank
Kas08016
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.82K Views
Does opening a bank account for an llc make a person personally responsible for the account?

I've asked a bank what they require in order to open a bank account for an llc, and the main thing was a "certificate of good standing". Since the "certificate of good standing" or even the...

asked Feb 10 '12 at 05:10
Blank
Startup1
90 points