Marketing Questions

Marketing is the process of communicating the value of a product or service to customers, for the purpose of influencing buyer behavior and/or precipitate behavioral change.

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.63K Views
How to introduce a brand new consumer business model?

Netflix introduced a new way to rent DVD's. Zappos introduced a new way to buy shoes. When both ideas were just starting out, they must have seemed crazy to most. How does one take a "crazy new...

asked Oct 26 '09 at 00:36
Blank
Ez Yz
473 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
3.44K Views
Resources for creating an effective landing page

What are your favorite websites for learning about or building effective landing pages for online advertising? How should these pages relate to your main site? I'm a software programming geek that...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 07:30
Blank
D Thrasher
894 points

13 Votes
8 Answers
3.53K Views
Do users really click the "Email a friend" link and thus "self promote" your site?

Its a common feature of many sites... the "Email a friend" link that sends an email to the users' friend(s). e.g. something like: Hey {friends name} , I found this great site called...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 10:31
Blank
Scunliffe
310 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.29K Views
Legal rights about showing who's using your product

Can I list some of our clients on our website without their knowledge or do we need any specific permission from them? I understand that it's always the best practice get a specific permission...

asked Oct 28 '09 at 21:15
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
3.12K Views
How to describe (and market) an app which doesn't fit any niche

We're a software startup and our app (desktop app) is basically a virtual folder manager where the virtual folders are also tags: you "place" files/folders into several virtual folders and you find...

asked Oct 29 '09 at 09:55
Blank
Andrea D'intino
21 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.8K Views
CrowdSourcing Publicity and finding the traditional media stories for small business

Where can I brainstorm to find (Different, Emotive, and Simple) stories about my small business in order to craft messages that will catch the attention of traditional media? Where do freelance...

asked Oct 30 '09 at 23:39
Blank
Jeffrey Hicks
313 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.47K Views
Legality of using sweepstakes to spawn viral twitter campaign

What if run a twitter campaign like so: Tweet FooBarCompanyXYZ.com for chance to win $xxx.xx Is this legal? Is there some sort of rules about sweepstakes, etc? I live in Arkansas. Do you have any...

asked Nov 1 '09 at 08:26
Blank
Jeffrey Hicks
313 points

4 Votes
11 Answers
3.44K Views
What is the distinction between sales and marketing?

What is the distinction between these two? In today's era it seems one overlaps each other and I'm wondering whether in a startup these roles can be covered by one person. Is it effective? Is there...

asked Nov 2 '09 at 20:46
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.71K Views
Heard of Any Good Social Media Business Growth Stories?

I'm curious if anyone has any examples to share of local businesses that have grown using social media alone. Good examples: Real Estate Agent facebook...

asked Nov 4 '09 at 12:34
Blank
Adam
446 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.46K Views
Online Marketing for Accountants & Lawyers - How should it be done?

If you were the owner/partner in a traditional professional services business, ie an accountant or a lawyer, how would you use internet marketing to build your practice? One path would be to run...

asked Nov 4 '09 at 12:57
Blank
Adam
446 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2K Views
whats the best way to reach owners or decision makers of restaurants and caffes?

any good tips how to reach this particular group of people?

asked Nov 5 '09 at 16:12
Blank
Ondrobaco
131 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.91K Views
B-to-B landing pages and conversions

Within the online marketing space, a standard rule I have heard about landing pages is to limit choice. Ideally you have one page, with your sales pitch and they can either take your desired action...

asked Nov 6 '09 at 03:42
Blank
Adam
446 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
After initial traction, how do you build an exponential growth curve?

TweetMiner is just starting to build some buzz... http://search.twitter.com/search?q=tweetminer http://www.google.com/#q=tweetminer&hl=en&fp=1&cad=b Currently there are 1247 free...

asked Nov 6 '09 at 08:18
Blank
Justin Vincent
176 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.57K Views
Online Advertising Agencies for Niche Marketers

My business, targetmeister.com, sells target stands for shooting. I was exclusively using Google AdWords for advertising and that has been effective, but I need more traffic/sales. Today, I signed...

asked Nov 6 '09 at 23:08
Blank
Clint
695 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.58K Views
How should I start an effective viral marketing campaign?

I'm interested in insider secrets on how to effectively launch a campaign on sites like digg or Reddit. It seems more planning/thought is required than just submitting a link to digg/reddit. Are...

asked Nov 6 '09 at 23:25
Blank
Mathaix
510 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
6.56K Views
How can I determine potential market demand?

I would like to determine the potential market demand for a non-software, travel product that requires significant up-front capital for manufacturing. What open source software, if any, would you...

asked Oct 15 '09 at 23:47
Blank
Val Lynn
483 points

14 Votes
8 Answers
5.92K Views
What are the best ways to get traffic to your website?

Tons of web startups are at the stage of "built it, have visitors, but need more." Compare this to similar sites created when the word "webmaster" was the buzzword of the year, that get 100-200k+...

asked Oct 16 '09 at 03:54
Blank
Mark Bao
604 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.83K Views
Is there an ad network that lets you buy those 125x125 blog ads across sites?

I don't want an ad network that puts you anywhere. I don't want dozens of ad sizes and specs to worry about. I could really use an ad service that let's me easily buy and manage the basic blog...

asked Oct 17 '09 at 07:00
Blank
Paul O'brien
521 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.49K Views
Marketing clean technology

How does one convince customers to spend more money for the environment? Following the inconvenient truth, global warming and raising oil prices last year, it seems that developing clean green...

asked Oct 18 '09 at 16:38
Blank
Ron Ga
2,181 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
How do you analyze inactive customers?

We have an online application. Lots of people are using it but of course not everyone. My goal is understanding the recently inactive people and what I can do to make them more active. What I'm...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 06:20
Blank
Chris
4,214 points