Marketing Questions

Marketing is the process of communicating the value of a product or service to customers, for the purpose of influencing buyer behavior and/or precipitate behavioral change.

14 Votes
10 Answers
6.03K Views
Is there evidence of better results with a free version vs. free trial?

Some companies opt for a free version in hopes of converting to paid. Others offer a free trial. I can see merit in both, but I'm curious what your thoughts are around which is preferred and why....

asked Dec 3 '09 at 16:47
Blank
Justyn
892 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.03K Views
Best practices for correspondance with user / customers

Anyone aware of any books, articles, blogs, anything, that talks about best practices for communicating with users. Issues like, how often, at what user actions, what language to use, what formats,...

asked Dec 5 '09 at 00:29
Blank
Aassaf
16 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
How do you run a good alpha/beta program?

What are good tips to run an alpha/beta consumer program for a web app? I want to engage the early users, test out a number of things and generate buzz. What are any tips or resources you can think...

asked Nov 7 '09 at 05:40
Blank
Jer Levine
173 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
3.15K Views
Software for making pitch/marketing videos

I am about the create a pitch/marketing video, so I would be keen to find out about any software that helps you create various animations, overlays, etc. Possibly bundled with some sound effects.

asked Nov 9 '09 at 07:50
Blank
Miro
146 points

4 Votes
15 Answers
3.8K Views
Using British accent in screencasts

We're going to put some screencasts and we are based on London. However our market is not only local and I'm a bit worried about our potential customers from America and from other parts of the...

asked Nov 9 '09 at 09:51
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
6.89K Views
What is the rate for marketing and sales consultants?

I was wondering what the pay rate is for marketing and sales consultants that mainly work with startups. I know some companies hire on commission-base only and some offer share/equity in the...

asked Nov 10 '09 at 09:07
Blank
Arman Arami
399 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
Screen captures vs short videos which is more effective at converting customers?

Has anyone measured the effectiveness of static screen captures with text versus a screen cast with voice in converting customers (for a software application)? Do you find that it is a natural...

asked Nov 11 '09 at 16:16
Blank
Oleg Barshay
2,091 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
Is "Shareware" a bad word?

Should we market our "Try Before You Buy" software as Shareware or not? I've heard that it may have a bad connotation and you're better off calling it something else. Should I try to avoid using...

asked Nov 13 '09 at 14:59
Blank
Lkessler
1,471 points

10 Votes
5 Answers
3.05K Views
What Press Release Distribution Service Should I Use?

The number of press release services out there is mind boggling. I am an ISV (Independent Software Vendor) with a niche software program, and I'd like to send out a Press Release to the software...

asked Nov 13 '09 at 16:15
Blank
Lkessler
1,471 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.89K Views
Website launch strategy with

My partner and I would like to lunch a new marketplace for products that, for obvious reasons, we can't disclose at this point. We don't have any patent or proprietary IP to raise the entrance...

asked Nov 13 '09 at 19:11
Blank
Gera
91 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.75K Views
Best resources for learning Wordpress?

I am in the process of (re)learning Wordpress. General searches return a plethora of resources for learning, but it's difficult to cut through the clutter. What resources do folks here...

asked Nov 14 '09 at 06:23
Blank
Joe
298 points

5 Votes
11 Answers
3.42K Views
How totally insane would it be for your price to be "whatever you think it's worth"

This is a hosted (zero-install) web application. You create and account and stuff happens. The unattended costs (ignoring tech support, ads, etc) are easy to compute per customer. Here's the idea:...

asked Nov 14 '09 at 07:19
Blank
Jason
16,231 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.5K Views
How do I turn a word doc into a polished looking guide / ebook?

I have a 20ish page guide in a word doc that I want laid out as a polished looking pdf, with a table of contents and nice headers /footers/ margins/ headings/ subheadings and fonts . I want it...

asked Nov 14 '09 at 13:57
Blank
Adam
446 points

11 Votes
2 Answers
3.64K Views
Solving the Chicken and Egg Problem

My partner and I are in the development phase of a website which essentially is a new marketplace for a sector that we believe is lacking one. However most of our resources are going for design...

asked Nov 14 '09 at 19:44
Blank
Gera
91 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Is there a career in early-stage marketing?

The person I have in mind is an early-stage marketing & sales person, someone who exclusively specializes in taking early-stage startups from a beta customer or two to some point of critical...

asked Nov 18 '09 at 23:24
Blank
Cortez
26 points

8 Votes
2 Answers
5.63K Views
How to market an android application?

My colleagues and I have just completed our first Android app. This is going to be a free multimedia application that can download/preview ringtones and wallpapers to your android. Now we need to...

asked Nov 19 '09 at 09:57
Blank
Vidar Vestnes
141 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Strategies for finding potential customers for a tiny app

Background : I used to work for a software consulting firm. For obvious reasons, one thing that was critical to both our company and our customers was keeping track of the time spent on specific...

asked Nov 19 '09 at 13:50
Blank
Lyudmil
111 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.43K Views
What is a good benchmark for a "download conversion rate"?

What is a good benchmark for a download conversion rate? In other words, what % of my website traffic can I expect to click "Sign Up Now" button to start a plug-in download (examples: xobni.com and...

asked Nov 19 '09 at 14:42
Blank
Dean Wright
86 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
Which interactive channels startups use the most to start their lead generation activities?

Assuming startups prefer using internet marketing to promote their services/products, I was wondering which interactive channels (display advertising, mobile marketing, email marketing, social...

asked Nov 20 '09 at 08:38
Blank
Arman Arami
399 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.89K Views
Marketing ERP products to education institutions

Looking for people to share you experiences in marketing an ERP product in the education space(schools/colleges/universities). What challenges you faced and how did you overcome them ?

asked Oct 25 '09 at 15:45
Blank
Kabir
96 points