Payments Questions

14 Votes
6 Answers
11.4K Views
Are there any viable alternatives to Paypal for a small site?

I don't want to have the hassle of dealing with credit card or direct payments directly on my website, the volume and amount of transactions don't justify the effort. I've set up Paypal on the...

asked Nov 12 '09 at 00:10
Blank
Rich Seller
181 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
3.3K Views
Strategy for unveiling a social network?

I have identified a niche community, for which I want to build a social network. From compete.com, I see that the TAM is at least 10K unique active users. Their web activites revolve around an...

asked Nov 14 '09 at 11:38
Blank
John
96 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.76K Views
Collecting payment info before vs. after trial period?

Does anyone have any data (or opinions) on whether to collect payment info during the sign-up process, or after the trial has ended? Collecting it up front probably converts better (though not...

asked Nov 17 '09 at 10:24
Blank
Justyn
892 points

10 Votes
7 Answers
5.2K Views
New startup - how to handle billing?

My subscription-based application is going to be written in Ruby on Rails; I have two routes I can go as far as billing is concerned: I can use a hosted service that takes care of managing the...

asked Nov 20 '09 at 03:06
Blank
Wayne M
211 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.92K Views
When do subscription services charge you every month? When does that payment period end?

When subscription based services charge you a monthly fee, when do they charge it? First of the month? Same date next month? 30 days from original pay? For example if I pay for a subscription on...

asked Oct 28 '09 at 08:40
Blank
Vindexus
126 points

4 Votes
10 Answers
3.24K Views
Why are international sales so poor compared to US domestic?

We sell software online. Our international trial to purchase ratio is abysmal compared to US domestic. I'm trying to determine why? Some possible answers: Higher piracy overseas PayPal and PO are...

asked Nov 1 '09 at 02:19
Blank
Shawn Anderson
21 points

19 Votes
11 Answers
8.86K Views
When to use merchant account instead of PayPal?

I wonder when it makes more sense to open a merchant account and use a payment gateway instead of old plain PayPal option? This should depend on the revenue processed, because merchant account has...

asked Oct 18 '09 at 15:41
Blank
Oleg Kokorin
459 points

-3 Votes
4 Answers
2.05K Views
What is a good resource to find entrepreneurs in the early planning stages of their business?

My company Merchants Choice Payment Solutions provides credit card processing for businesses. Our main focus is to first and formost educate the merchant on how the industry works and how to set up...

asked Oct 19 '09 at 05:30
Blank
Rick Montgomery
12 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.1K Views
Accepting online debit/credit payments in Italy

According to Wikipedia, accepting online credit card payments is possible in Italy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_card#Italy. Anyone have experience implementing such a solution? Who has a...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 02:42
Blank
Friism
111 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.62K Views
Off-the-shelf paywall?

I'm in the process of building a subscription-based content service. Users pay a monthly fee for one of a number of levels of service, and in return get regular emails and website access...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 22:17
Blank
Epall
50 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
3.32K Views
Barriers to truly global payment processing?

As a startup in Australia, one of the problems commonly faced here is getting a suitable payment service that customers world wide can use. It seems that since the implementation of global AML/KYC...

asked Oct 11 '09 at 10:24
Blank
Anthon
470 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.74K Views
Components of a payments system (end to end)

What are the components of a subscription/payments processing system/platform? Does anyone have a good explanation of how providers like Zuora, Authorise.net etc. come together?

asked Oct 11 '09 at 10:48
Blank
Anthon
470 points