Tax Questions

Entrepreneurs can set up their business as a Sole Proprietorship, C-corporation, S-corporation, partnership, non-profit, Limited Liability Company, or Limited Liability Partnership.

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
What's the simplest way to calculate my tax burden?

I'm looking at starting an online game, with revenue coming in through the purchase of in-game bonuses. I've got a team of four people, counting myself, working on setting it up, and it should be...

asked Jun 9 '12 at 01:39
Blank
Bob
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.9K Views
The correct prefix for a UK UTR?

What's the correct country code/prefix for a UK unique taxpayer reference I should give in an invoice when supplying services overseas? I suppose it's simply UK, but I couldn't find anything about...

asked Jun 12 '12 at 04:29
Blank
Lukeshek
452 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.66K Views
I'm an English man living in Germany, where should I register my business?

I suppose this question would be useful to anyone who is natively from one country but living in another setting up a business. I'm an English man currently with a business bank account and sole...

asked May 25 '12 at 17:59
Blank
Littlejim84
141 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
Using Dubai as a tax haven - US nationals

My friend approached me with a business idea of selling a service to allow US business owners to incorporate in Dubai in order to avoid taxes. She resides in Dubai and owns a business there, and...

asked May 31 '12 at 10:55
Blank
Chris
1 point

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.67K Views
LLC vs S Corp for a new business?

I am starting a new business in California and can't decide whether it should be an LLC or S Corp or an LLC as a S Corp. It would be a single person LLC or S Corp (no other shareholders or...

asked Jun 2 '12 at 07:21
Blank
Lynne
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
US Citizen Being a Member of a UK LLP?

Suppose a US citizen becomes a member of a UK LLP, along with 2 other foreigners (non-US citizens). Assume each one of the three has a 33.3% share in the UK LLP. The LLP starts working, and has a...

asked May 17 '12 at 00:59
Blank
User3262424
107 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.54K Views
Sole Member LLC Tax Advice

This sort of falls into personal finance and money but also has a lot to do with business so I am asking the question here. I have just recently started a LLC of which I am the sole member. I am...

asked May 20 '12 at 13:02
Blank
Jason
124 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
5.23K Views
How to "pay" one self in a single member LLC w/ separate checking account?

I own a side company creating web apps. I formed an LLC, registered an EIN and opened a business checking account. Recently, I sold a copy of my software for let's say $10,000. Now, since...

asked Apr 28 '12 at 08:13
Blank
Luckytaxi
177 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.64K Views
Changing from self employed to an LLC

At the moment I work self employed as a web developer creating websites. One such website has become fairly popular and I'm considering adding trademarks etc, is it possible/straightforward to...

asked May 1 '12 at 01:08
Blank
Silver89
106 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.18K Views
Taxation of fringe benefits for shareholders in an S Corp?

In this publication, the IRS lists a number of fringe benefits that you can provide employees and details when/why they would be considered taxable vs. non-taxable. However, at the start of the...

asked May 3 '12 at 01:56
Blank
Jeffrey Blake
115 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Do I need to worry about estimated taxes if I hold a full time job?

Let's say I expect to generate $500/month of steady income from my side company (single member LLC). I work FT during the day and taxes are paid accordingly. Do I need to worry about estimated...

asked May 3 '12 at 12:48
Blank
Luckytaxi
177 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
Does The IRS Think Full-Time S-Corp Shareholders Are Also Employees?

After asking about the taxation of fringe benefits for shareholders in an S Corp, it occurred to me that there could be two types of shareholders. Those who are silently collecting whatever profits...

asked May 3 '12 at 23:43
Blank
Jeffrey Blake
115 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.23K Views
What is the best way to prepare and e-file Form 1120

I own a US C coporation and i've linked a checking account to it with an EIN. I'm a freelancer and I've received some payments for my services through Google checkout & Paypal, The total amount...

asked May 5 '12 at 21:35
Blank
Ryan
139 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.89K Views
What is the best way for a foreign individual to incorporate in US to use payment services?

My business model is subscription based therefore I need to use a payment service that is practical for this purpose. Unfortunately, as far as I researched, such services are only available to US...

asked May 6 '12 at 16:49
Blank
Kaan Soral
66 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
4.42K Views
What is the legal and tax implication of a US company (Texas C Corp) hiring employees directly in India

I am the co-founder/shareholder of a US based software startup (Texas C Corp). Due to some personal reasons I have had to move to India and to make the most of it, I am planning on hiring a few...

asked May 9 '12 at 14:32
Blank
Rajat Mittal
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
How to handle the money with a new start up

I know this might be a bit narrow for a question, but I can also see other start ups working on this scenario it self. We have X amount of money currently sitting in the bank. We just received it...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 06:47
Blank
Spoiled Techie.Com
102 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Impact Investment/Tax Questions

I want to take some of the revenue that I generate with the for-profit business I'm starting, and use it to provide start-up social enterprises that I think are interesting with some funding to...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 06:57
Blank
P.R. Pelrain
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.67K Views
What Does An Investor Do with Their Money Once an Agreement is Made

Its an easy question, but I am new to this along with my investor. When an agreement has been made to invest in a company, what should happen next with the money? I would love to know best...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 13:41
Blank
Spoiled Techie.Com
102 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.3K Views
purchasing a company

I am looking at purchasing a service business in California that states it makes $160K in revenue and $120K in Net income. What Can I expect to net (estimate) after taxes with a LLC? Is it a 39%...

asked Apr 25 '12 at 03:28
Blank
Thomas
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.06K Views
Contractor paying subcontractor

If I have a contract with a client, and hire a subcontractor, then submit his/her hours to the client, receive the payment, and then pay that full amount to the subcontractor, do I need to pay...

asked Apr 7 '12 at 10:51
Blank
Kelton52
113 points