Tax Questions

Entrepreneurs can set up their business as a Sole Proprietorship, C-corporation, S-corporation, partnership, non-profit, Limited Liability Company, or Limited Liability Partnership.

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Charging U.S. sales taxes on product purchased online and sold from foreign location

We are building an online application that will allow users to create and purchase high-quality typographic logos and business cards. The application is taking a while to develop so we've decided...

asked Apr 9 '12 at 21:41
Blank
Miguel Buckenmeyer
482 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.77K Views
Considering selling imported goods through ebay and/or etsy.com How to not get on the bad side of US government?

I hope this question is on topic. I have a plan to make a bit of extra income. I know a person in Africa (let's keep it this general for now) who can help me import some cheap local non-edible...

asked Apr 10 '12 at 12:31
Blank
Job
101 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.82K Views
Do I need to charge Tax to my Clients Customers?

Possible Duplicate: Online Sales Tax: location based on transaction server, shipping address, CC, or location of purchaser? My company is UK based but many of my clients are based in the US,...

asked Apr 13 '12 at 02:20
Blank
Jon Winstanley
101 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.37K Views
Vesting restricted stock and the 83(b) Election

Is it possible to have a Section 83(b) Election when the only risk of forfeiture of the restricted stock is for unvested shares and there are no repurchase rights for vested shares (ie all vested...

asked Apr 13 '12 at 13:54
Blank
Jj.
29 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.42K Views
Formula to evaluate the earnings potential when joining a startup

I'm trying to come up with a rough formula to help decide if I should join a startup. I'd like to weigh my current pay vs joining a startup, taking into account opportunity costs and possible final...

asked Apr 14 '12 at 03:26
Blank
Nick P.
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.72K Views
Software E-Commerce/E-Business Foreign Entity LLC and License and Tax requirements

I am wanting to startup a software, app, games business conducted through the internet. I am in Missouri, the state where I plan to do work from. I did research and found that Delaware or Nevada...

asked Apr 14 '12 at 21:33
Blank
Nightmare
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.82K Views
Start-up Tax Deductions while on H1B

I have started my own software start-up since Jan 2011 where I was on H1B visa. I am also full-time employee at another company which is independent from my start-up. I got my green card last Feb...

Tax
asked Apr 15 '12 at 19:17
Blank
I Code
111 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
How and when is sales tax calculated when payment is made with a foreign currency?

When the buyer is paying cash, how and when is sales tax calculated when payment is made with a foreign currency? Guessing it's the same as if the transaction had been paid in currency the tax is...

asked Mar 30 '12 at 10:43
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.32K Views
LLC no money earned

We registered an LLC company. The company has not made any money, do I still need to pay the California state tax? PLease let me know.

asked Mar 31 '12 at 15:34
Blank
Yugoday
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.51K Views
Paying sales and use taxes in the state of incorporation for sales outside the state?

I have an LLC that is formed in NC. The LLC sells software online; the software is downloaded through the website. The website is run through GoDaddy, which is in Arizona, I think. The programmer...

asked Apr 2 '12 at 11:20
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.6K Views
I filed C-Corp tax returns as S-Corp will this be a problem?

I incorporated an S Corp using legalzoom services but they just created a C corp for me. I filed my tax returns as an S-corp with the IRS and the state. I had no activities with the company. I want...

asked Apr 4 '12 at 06:53
Blank
Zapoo
303 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
2.83K Views
Tax laws when trading to the US from europe

What are the tax laws regarding sale of a SAAS to US companies when you are UK based? I know you dont have to charge VAT but would you need to file a US tax return or charge US taxes?

asked Apr 4 '12 at 22:09
Blank
Tom Squires
1,047 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
7.74K Views
Converting from an LLC to a C Corp; can we use the same EIN?

When converting from an LLC to a C Corp, can we use the same EIN for the C Corp?

asked Mar 15 '12 at 11:11
Blank
Jon
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
Tax requirements for non-US contractors?

I work with contractors often, and of course go the W-9 + 1099 route with US-based folks. I'll be hiring a handful of part-time non-US contract developers soon (one in Brazil, one in Switzerland)....

asked Mar 15 '12 at 13:30
Blank
Bmoeskau
356 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
File your LLC's tax return before your own?

I am one of 2 members of an LLC that I started. The LLC had no income in its first year-only a small loss. I'm reflecting my share of the loss, as on my K-1, on the my own tax return. If I file my...

asked Mar 18 '12 at 23:59
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.34K Views
Didn't file LLC tax return for first calendar year, but no income/outflow

I formed an LLC 18 months ago, in 2010. Nothing happened in 2010- it didn't issue equity; it didn't have any income; and it didn't have any expenses (other than formation expenses, which I paid...

asked Mar 19 '12 at 06:55
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
Need to include expenses you paid yourself on an LLC's tax return?

I may have made a goof here and want to fix any problems. I formed an LLC in 2010. In 2010 and early 2011, I paid the LLC's expenses out of my own bank account, using my own checks, and I had no...

asked Mar 20 '12 at 21:32
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
1.42K Views
Foreign Outside USA, Incorporated, now what? (taxes and income)

Can someone describe me how I should pay taxes being foreign, any basic guide? If I can't perceive any salary, how do I make money as a shareholder (not american)? More details: I'm in Mexico....

asked Mar 21 '12 at 00:25
Blank
Alejandro
48 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Tax law benefits?

I am thinking about starting a small charity to help find and support the "untapped Genius" in everyday people or people that might otherwise just end up in a dead end job or unemployed. The...

asked Mar 21 '12 at 11:15
Blank
Amin Brodie
39 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.65K Views
Taxes for a European SAAS startup selling in the US

I'm looking into selling a web application to US customers. Is it necessary to create a US subsidiary such as a Delaware LLC or not? How are taxes worked out? Income tax, sales tax? I know this is...

asked Mar 4 '12 at 10:35
Blank
Frenchie
4,166 points