Motivation Questions

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Startup motivation and consistency

I'm working on a part-time unpaid startup now and everyone seems to be full of energy at the start. However as we go along, everyone seems to start losing grip and considering it as one of their...

asked Jul 26 '11 at 12:24
Blank
Joset
161 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
How do I make my mother open a side business?

My mother is reaching 55, and she raises ideas for start-ups every now and then. I am a software developer and I'm used to rapid prototyping, so I keep urging her to just go ahead a do it! I...

asked Jul 30 '11 at 22:57
Blank
Nur Ne
186 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.67K Views
When Hope becomes Delusion -- what do you do?

We all know how important it is to remain positive. In the face of insurmountable odds, the strong are those that are able to see the potential, the positive and the path to success. The...

asked May 24 '11 at 02:10
Blank
Joseph Barisonzi
12,141 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Project In A Week / development bootcamp

Our team is thinking of doing a "Project In A Week" (bootcamp), and I'm interested to know if anyone else has experience of doing this or has any advice? The idea behind it is to get away from the...

asked Mar 25 '11 at 02:21
Blank
Tim S
111 points

8 Votes
7 Answers
2.69K Views
Creating camaraderie among people who never see each other

I have a team of people scattered across time zones and the world. Most of these people have never been face-to-face with even one of their colleagues. Most have never heard anyone else's voice. We...

asked Feb 27 '11 at 08:08
Blank
Kenneth Vogt
2,917 points

6 Votes
9 Answers
2.96K Views
I'm exhausted with my consulting business. How can I find the energy?

Cross-post from reddit.com/r/startups. Hey All, I'm Ken, and I run a startup in Houston. I really love my company. We're not super profitable, but we're profitable. My friends and I get to do...

asked Dec 16 '10 at 09:17
Blank
Xkenneth
140 points

7 Votes
11 Answers
3.95K Views
One man startup looking for motivation

I've been working on a web application as a hobby for the past couple of years. It's been challenging and I've learned a lot. Now that I am done and actually have something up and running...

asked Nov 17 '10 at 05:54
Blank
Txoov
38 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.38K Views
Are all random ideas worth the effort?

Suddenly an idea strikes me and I start thinking about it. In the initial hours (can be days), the prospect looks very exciting and promising, however with time I am able to see the...

asked Nov 3 '10 at 04:15
Blank
Dienekes
126 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
2.82K Views
Web Design Startup India -- Feel Alone & Depressed

I just started a new web design & SEO company in India. For now we are targeting US, UK clients only.. so no personal meeting only email marketing stuff. Most often I feel very alone and some...

asked Oct 12 '10 at 01:25
Blank
Kashish
95 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.95K Views
when to switch a hobby/interest to a business

I've managed and started many businesses, and continue to work in a business advisory role today. I've recently initiated the closing of my fourth start-up (mostly due to lack of time, but there...

asked Oct 22 '10 at 01:19
Blank
Patrickgamer
234 points

9 Votes
10 Answers
3.42K Views
Motivational Books

Being an entrepreneur is a difficult task. What books helped you get motivated and keep going? For me it was: Founders At Work

asked Oct 3 '10 at 22:16
Blank
Tiago
333 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.03K Views
Do you think that startup geolocation is relevant in a software vendor marketplace?

I've got an answer for this, or at least... I hope to have an answer, that is 'No'. But since I'm a newcomer with very poor experience in this wonderful world that is 'starting up', I'd like to...

asked Jul 9 '10 at 16:34
Blank
Thesp0nge
118 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.22K Views
How to motivate partners

Sometimes when the going gets tough, team members gets discouraged. Though we embrace failure here and eat it like lunch, some people are not confident enough in themselves to take failure...

asked Apr 22 '10 at 13:54
Blank
G Rex
683 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.3K Views
When startup people get together to work on their startups, they become motivated. How do we get more events like these happening?

One large problem for a lot of entrepreneurs, regardless of whether it's their first startup or their eighth, is motivation. We slowly become less motivated due to delays, or thinking about how...

asked May 12 '10 at 09:13
Blank
Mark Bao
604 points

9 Votes
6 Answers
2.92K Views
Why are YOU doing a startup?

I saw a similar question but posed in a different way with few responses. So thought I'd ask specifically why you are doing a startup? I had drinks with some friends last weekend and one guy I...

asked Feb 27 '10 at 02:44
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
Questions for Daniel Pink re Motivation

We are fortunate to be scheduled Sunday to interview Daniel Pink, Author of several books, most recently Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us (#35 presently at Amazon.) Here's a TED...

asked Mar 3 '10 at 07:05
Blank
Bob Walsh
2,620 points

7 Votes
7 Answers
4.18K Views
When faced with adversity, what techniques do you use to stay motivated and solve problems?

All startups go through tough times and it can sometimes be a struggle to stay motivated when things are going wrong. What are some of the techniques you have found useful to stay motivated and...

asked Mar 6 '10 at 00:05
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.36K Views
What is your motivation to start a business, especially a novel business

Why do you want to build a start-up company?

asked Jan 27 '10 at 23:37
Blank
Steven
1 point

15 Votes
14 Answers
3.09K Views
Looking For Love - I Need 3 Suggestions for Resetting My Startup

When I first co-founded my BtoB startup it was blissful. My eyes would sparkle each time I passed out a business card; every SVN commit caused my heart to flutter. Now it is two years later and...

asked Feb 2 '10 at 05:58
Blank
Fractal Guy
254 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
What are cool gift exchange ideas have you encountered for small startups?

In my offices, books have the tendency to get groans (usually the thick ones), MMORPG game cards can be quite addictive and gets some folks bleary eyed for weeks, while everyone else wishes for an...

asked Nov 23 '09 at 13:25
Blank
Alex Lam
699 points