Small Business Questions

7 Votes
2 Answers
3.56K Views
How to politely reject regular offers for advertisement service that come from the same person?

I opened a gourmet shop 3 months ago. The same people come into my shop and offer various kinds of advertisement, and products that they think will fit into my store. When they come for the first...

asked Apr 29 '12 at 05:35
Blank
Nadia1903
36 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
Singleboard/SOC based products and IP laws for a small company

I run a small business in custom software development in Canada, and I think it has gotten to the point where I can release my own product. My question has to do with using existing...

asked May 8 '12 at 03:03
Blank
Super Tron
108 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
How realistic is it to fund grad school with a web start-up?

A little background first: I just got accepted to a one year master's program in chemical engineering at my school, but I need to find a way to come up with roughly $20,000 - $30,000 over the next...

asked Apr 7 '12 at 13:37
Blank
Nick
118 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
validating assumptions for MVP and acquiring small business customers

We offer a SAAS and I am at the stage where we have a MVP and are looking to validate our assumptions which is that small shop owners will make more revenue by using our system. Our target...

asked Jan 27 '12 at 02:44
Blank
User15995
42 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.08K Views
Best way to say that I charge for coming to you?

I need to tell someone that I charge for going to them. What is the best way to say this?

asked Dec 24 '11 at 16:03
Blank
E Gamer Hdk
28 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.26K Views
Small App Development company with only 1 other person. Is it an LLC or Corp or

I am trying to start up a two person company for App Development. However I want to make this "professional". I don't know if I'm supposed to register my company or how to even start. Am I an LLC...

asked Dec 5 '11 at 16:41
Blank
E Gamer Hdk
28 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.45K Views
Do I need a small business bank account?

I am starting a small business with a partner in a another state. We already have an LLC established. I have done some googling the differences for a business bank account at various banks. Wells...

asked Nov 21 '11 at 13:16
Blank
Mitch
16 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.2K Views
How do I choose an accountant for my small business?

I want to register a small work from home business and do yearly audits. I have found a tax consultant and we exchanged more than dozen emails. After I asked him about where he got his...

asked Oct 24 '11 at 06:37
Blank
Sparkubullet
21 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
Stick with one technology or go for several technologies?

When starting a small software business what would be ideal and why? I mean in the context of technologies 1- Stick with only one technology ( ex: only Java ) 2- Go for several technologies (...

asked Oct 13 '11 at 13:40
Blank
D Shan
68 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
How to market and distribute an app targeted to small retailers

In the planning stage of building an app with a monthly subscription element targeted to small business merchants having 1 - 10 retail venues. Looking for any advice on a go to market strategy to...

asked Jul 17 '11 at 22:21
Blank
Dani
11 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
6.61K Views
What is the difference between a startup and a small business?

I've had a conversation with some friends recently on the differences between a startup and a small business. One of my friends said that a startup in a brand new company, which aims to scale fast...

asked Jun 7 '11 at 18:02
Blank
Slavo
316 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.34K Views
On a Startup, do you track your time as an investment?

I am starting a small venture to attack a niche. It might turn in something bigger, but it all depends on the trend that I am following. I will put some money down to hire a sales rep, but most...

asked Apr 24 '11 at 02:18
Blank
Geo
268 points

13 Votes
3 Answers
4.86K Views
The 100k per Employee Rule in Small Software Business

I remember that Joel Spolsky said that for every 100k of yearly revenue, fogcreek will add another employee. And from my observation, this rule seems quite general among small software related...

asked Mar 15 '11 at 19:14
Blank
Graviton
871 points