Venture Capital Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.39K Views
Could funded startup founders work normal hours?

I am looking to raise our first round of capital from angels. My question might seem like I'm not fully invested in my startup, but I am. With a family at home, my days of working 80+ hours a week...

asked May 29 '14 at 16:33
Blank
Thomas Dunham
12 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.63K Views
Should you seek funding if you don't yet have revenues or traction?

It seems that either revenue or traction are the biggest factors in being able to easily get venture capital. Should one pursue trying to raise money without either of those factors? At the moment...

asked May 28 '14 at 21:41
Blank
Cheryl Febus
14 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.98K Views
How do VCs get their troubled startups "acqui-hired"?

A good chunk of startups funded by top-tier VCs get "acqui-hired" rather than closed if it's clear they won't succeed.How do VCs get these "acqui-hires" done and avoid a complete loss? Is having...

asked Mar 27 '14 at 19:26
Blank
Richard Albury
7 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
5.34K Views
General Partners vs Limited Partners in venture capital firms?

What's the difference between GPs and LPs at VC firms? Is one better to try to approach than the other when trying to raise money from their firm?

asked May 16 '14 at 13:12
Blank
Terri Hale
2 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.35K Views
Is my startup good enough for funding?

I'm working on a web app and launching in the next few days, I finally came up with a name "jellyblub" and got the domain. My thing is that I'm a little embarrassed about seeking funding because...

asked May 7 '14 at 20:35
Blank
Franklin De Los Santos
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.67K Views
Can a deal with a VC fall apart after a term sheet has been signed?

Is it possible for a fund raising deal with a venture capitalist to fall apart after a term sheet has been executed?If so, what are some common reasons why deals fall apart at this stage?

asked Apr 29 '14 at 16:56
Blank
Mary Campbell
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Unique ways a VC can source potential startups to invest in?

What are some lesser known ways a VC can find potential startups that would be good candidates to fund? Apart from referrals and AngelList.

asked Apr 4 '14 at 00:14
Blank
Elise Cardella
12 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
4.35K Views
What should my finders fee be?

I have an old friend who is a VC guy. Upon reconnecting with him and catching up, he informed me that he was currently looking to raise 3MM for this company. He asked if I knew anyone.His medical...

asked Mar 28 '14 at 17:56
Blank
User33873
1 point

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.42K Views
Has AngelList killed early-stage VCs?

Is there a point to trying to outreach to early-stage VCs when AngelList is far more convenient for startups?

asked Mar 2 '14 at 03:39
Blank
Janet Johnson
55 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.82K Views
Should I raise money from investors if my goal is not to get acquired?

My goal is to build a profitable company that generates revenue for years without selling out to a larger company.Since most investors are looking for an exit in 4-5 years after investment, should...

asked Mar 26 '14 at 14:26
Blank
Ronald Block
60 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
How is the process of raising money different between a Series A, B or C?

What's the key differences between raising the three kinds of rounds (A, B and C)? Are VCs looking at different metrics at each round? If so, which ones are key?

asked Mar 24 '14 at 15:13
Blank
Edwin Henson
15 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.4K Views
VCs that thought Bitcoin is the next big thing: why invest in Bitcoin related startups instead of just directly buying Bitcoins?

So many Bitcoin related startups have landed money from popular VCs. Who all claim that it's the next biggest thing.If that's the case, why not just buy the actual currency where you're likely have...

asked Mar 21 '14 at 13:42
Blank
Darla Page
40 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.26K Views
Reasons to raise money from investors?

For what reasons do most startups raise money? What are the most common items startups that raise $1M+ spend it on?

asked Mar 19 '14 at 16:29
Blank
Kimberly Deleon
30 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
4.39K Views
Calculating market potential and projections for VCs for an early stage startups?

I am creating a pitch deck to potentially raise a series A round and not sure where to start for projections. How do early stage startups calculate the market size and future projections when there...

asked Mar 16 '14 at 02:21
Blank
Fernando Douglas
35 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
What can you learn from getting rejected by investors?

Most VCs will never tell you "no". Instead they will keep saying they'll get back to you. They do this so that they don't jeopardize investing in future rounds (in case they made a mistake the...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 23:24
Blank
Thea Cortez
10 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
9.57K Views
Cold emailing a VC without an intro?

I don't have any contacts that could provide me an intro to a vc firm or angel investors. I have, however, found that many VCs' email addresses can be easily found on their websites or personal...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 12:38
Blank
Henry Nielsen
25 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.56K Views
Cons of raising venture capital?

Everyone talks about the benefits of raising money.What are some negatives of being a funded startup?

asked Mar 1 '14 at 11:31
Blank
Linda Peterson
60 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Should the entire team tag along when pitching to VCs?

We're a team of 4 (two of us are founders) and the other two are early employees. When we go pitch VCs to try and raise a seed round, should the entire team go or just my co-founder and I? One...

asked Feb 7 '14 at 14:22
Blank
Zohra Sahertian
26 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.62K Views
Why are some startups in "stealth mode" if ideas are worthless. And how do they raise money from VCs?

At any given point, there are many VC funded startups in stealth mode. What's the benefit of being in stealth if "execution is everything" anyway? How do VCs justify funding such a startup since...

asked Feb 26 '14 at 13:00
Blank
Antonio Comer
130 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Warning signs when dealings with VCs and angel investors?

What are some things to watch out for when trying to raise money? In order to ensure you don't end up taking money from the wrong people. What red flags should I be looking at or even before the...

asked Feb 19 '14 at 14:07
Blank
Joel J.
31 points