Venture Capital Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
The Dream Team - What investors look for?

I know that the first thing investors look for is a good strong team. Until recently, I thought that just meant the founder and co-founders. However, I was just checking out angelist, and most of...

asked Jun 27 '12 at 04:51
Blank
Derek
164 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
Seek advices: Raise Money or not?

I've $100,000 from my personal money for a new company. I was thinking about going to Austin, TX, as I've heard Silicon Valley is more to raise money than to actually develop apps. Viewing all the...

asked May 25 '12 at 23:55
Blank
Hartator
116 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
Buy or Rent/Lease

Assuming a venture-backed startup with seed financing that plans to raise further rounds: does it make sense to buy things or should it go for renting/leasing? "Renting" something (office...

asked May 31 '12 at 23:28
Blank
Sascha Konietzke
118 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.56K Views
Next steps after launching a social network

So my co-founder and I spent 10 months and launched a social network 2 weeks ago. We are doing simple fb ads and craigslist advertising and have reached 200 users. As anyone will say, our idea is...

asked Jun 2 '12 at 01:24
Blank
R W
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
How to kick start a web service with no working capital on hand?

I have a project on the table with a business model that involves creating a web service to streamline all the best pieces of internet marketing into one platform. Full details need to be kept...

asked May 17 '12 at 00:28
Blank
Chad
32 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
Determining fund raising stage for venture capital

I've been running a site (community platform) for a couple years and now we are growing fast, getting strong user traction and started implementing a customer oriented business model. In order to...

asked May 20 '12 at 06:35
Blank
Jean Pierre
48 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.78K Views
B2B or B2C, How should I represent my startup in VC pitch

My web application offers subscription service to both individuals and groups. The subscription is per user basis. Most purchasers will buy on behalf of his company (individual or group). When...

asked Apr 30 '12 at 14:32
Blank
New Tothe Game
8 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
Once you find a VC/Business Angel or other, how long does it usually take to close the deal and get the money?

Imagine you found a VC or Business Angel or other to invest in your project something around 200,000 USD. How long does it usually take to close the deal and get the money? (A min-max and average...

asked May 1 '12 at 23:02
Blank
Denislexic
106 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.74K Views
When VC's buy into a business who gets the money?

This might be a really dumb question but I've heard of a few cases where VC's have purchased into a business and it made me wonder. Facebook's purchase of Instagram recently made me think to ask on...

asked May 4 '12 at 11:25
Blank
Lloyd
360 points

10 Votes
5 Answers
2.5K Views
When should I leave day job to pursue startup full-time?

I am trying to determine when I should quit my job to pursue a startup. Here is what I feel are the pros/cons of leaving Pros Can focus more / no time constraints Iterations are much quicker (I...

asked May 6 '12 at 01:28
Blank
David
51 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
When can I start using CrowdSource Funding?

Now that the JOBS Act has been passed and signed when can I start raising capital through CrowdSource Funding?

asked May 9 '12 at 09:22
Blank
User17876
26 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
Need based funding vs Valuation based funding

I have come across several situations wherein the VC invests based on funds needed to get certain things done in a startup.This seems ok, but most will want nothing less than 20% of the company....

asked Apr 21 '12 at 17:07
Blank
Priyank
113 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
What is the interpretation of "full protection" here?

Excerpt from a Venture Capital book: If an investor with a $100M fund has set aside $5M to invest in a particular company over its life, what proportion of the $5M should it invest in the first...

asked Apr 9 '12 at 00:44
Blank
Ryan
162 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.3K Views
Is it necessary to have a Co-founder and team and then go to VC

I have single-handedly written all code needed for an alpha/beta till date. Now i want to go beta and hire marketing professionals and a developer. For that i need money and VC funds. Shall i...

asked Apr 13 '12 at 23:02
Blank
aditya tiwari
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.51K Views
OO-design req's for investment?

I'm NOT seeking investment (legally stated for now), but I've pitched my business/goals to a few angels just for practice. The business is in data processing and is very procedural. As such, the...

asked Mar 28 '12 at 09:06
Blank
Xepoch
234 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.05K Views
What should we expect in an accelerator interview?

Checked, but didn't see an answer to this: My partners and I have applied to a NYC accelerator. They have invited us to do an in person interview to determine if our project is a good fit. Aside...

asked Mar 21 '12 at 05:24
Blank
Confused
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.82K Views
when to pitch to whom?

we have a relative small project and although it is going slow , there is some progress and good signs,but still far away from feature complete Anyway my question is when to pitch for VC or when...

asked Mar 1 '12 at 23:18
Blank
Altuure
103 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.76K Views
Is it better to raise from a seed stage VC or angels who are investing their own money?

I'm going to start raising funds for my company soon. I already have more than a prototype website and can take payments, but still need to get a little more development complete. I'm undecided on...

asked Feb 15 '12 at 17:59
Blank
Anagio
293 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
Finding Investors. Who can you trust?

I see lots of investor hunters or finders on the web, but who can you trust? For instance many want a fee upfront to introduce you to 10 or 20 qualified leads. This is mostly done via phone and...

asked Feb 6 '12 at 06:28
Blank
Msw
21 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Why does a web startup need millions on VC capital?

One of the great benefits of the web application business is that startup costs are generally fairly low compared to brick and mortar businesses. Web hosting is getting cheaper and programming...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 04:59
Blank
Jason C
41 points