Venture Capital Questions

5 Votes
3 Answers
4.74K Views
Guide on writing a good business plan for a technology startup

I'm looking for advice on writing a business plan for a VC or Angel investor in the technology field. What are they looking for in a business plan/pitch? There are some good basic guides on...

asked Jul 4 '11 at 08:37
Blank
Hisnameisjimmy
126 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Should VC pitch be in 2nd person or 3rd person?

Should business ideas pitched to venture capitalists be narrated in 2nd person or 3rd person? One does not actually sell the product/service to the VC, but in a sense it does "sell" the whole...

asked Jul 6 '11 at 02:34
Blank
Peter Knego
103 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.36K Views
Difference between strategic investment and venture capital

What are the differences? Or what are the other investment on a company we should watch out?

asked Jun 25 '11 at 21:49
Blank
Victor
593 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.43K Views
What venture capital firms have a track record of backing law related websites?

My assumption, which I am perfectly willing to have challenged, is that these VC's would understand the industry and grasp pretty quickly the significance and value of what it is I'm trying to do....

asked Jun 27 '11 at 03:06
Blank
Nat Colley
11 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.89K Views
Evaluating a "Promise" from a startup company for pay raise, benefits, stock options within a specified period of time?

I would appreciate any advice based on a current situation that I am in that I think a lot of people involved in startups (especially developers) find themselves in at some point. Basically, I'm...

asked Jun 29 '11 at 15:19
Blank
Rick
136 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
How can a company attract venture capital?

What are some ways that a company can attract investors? I am the proud owner of a profitable software as a service (SaaS) company and I need capital to grow. But this is more of a broad question....

asked Jun 13 '11 at 10:26
Blank
Rook
123 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
Using a consulting development company vs Building your own team

Our team has a huge 7 digit venture capitalist funding and we want to make a web service that we get money on every time people use it. The software does not depend on us coming out with more...

asked Jun 5 '11 at 04:16
Blank
Anthonypliu
136 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Approached by investors from overseas

What types of things do I need to consider if I get approached from a venture fund overseas? I had an early-stage venture fund from Germany contact me looking to learn more about our startup and...

asked Jun 5 '11 at 05:46
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
Raise capital for idea, team and market

How do we go about raising seed money for our startup that is at this point nothing much but an idea (working towards a prototype), team (2 technical persons with over 10 years experience in...

asked Jun 6 '11 at 10:38
Blank
Xoail
365 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.5K Views
Plain english translation of these finance terms

What does these mean in plain English, guessing the best way to describe it is by giving theoretical numbers for best worst case instances, though that's just my thought - I'll leave it up to you...

asked Jun 3 '11 at 01:56
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
What is the best way to increase brand awareness when you have no physical building?

I have the most experienced and talented people (120 instructors making up 20 MLB teams) for teaching baseball in Minnesota but no one knows because I don't have a building (overhead). How do I get...

asked May 18 '11 at 10:24
Blank
C J
14 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.26K Views
What has been your experience with VC/Angel Investor funding?

Have you taken VC money or angel investor funding for your enterprise? At what stage? What has been your experience so far? I know Joel advises against it and hasn't used VC money so far, and I...

asked May 20 '11 at 20:21
Blank
Water Cooler V2
139 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.69K Views
What are the keys to writing a good teaser?

I'm curious what are the main things required to make a good 2 page teaser, to be presented to a potential buyer of a company, a European company. Some tips as well as links to examples would be...

asked Apr 27 '11 at 10:18
Blank
Shk
4 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
How to earn VC/Angel Investor financial and technical talent support?

More specifically, has any of you managed to convince both financial support, and getting additional technical talent to support the expansion of a startup concept/prototype? If so, where and how...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 08:50
Blank
Stanigator
133 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.78K Views
Does absence of competition put you off?

We're bootstrapping our latest business idea. Everything I've done has been boostrapped. This will be a complete stop and change direction (so could be a total distraction for a month while we...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 23:26
Blank
Matt
2,552 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
Planning for venture funding in India and the road ahead

I worked for few government organizations on contractual basis for four years. They were my premium customers for custom software applications. After freelancing for these many years and learning...

asked Apr 21 '11 at 23:33
Blank
Rpk
208 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.75K Views
List of VCs who are interested in early-stage web technology investments

There are some VC funds who only invest in late-stage companies and some who focus on early stage I am trying to find (or build) a list of those who are interested in taking part in early-stage...

asked Apr 22 '11 at 01:53
Blank
Bryan Migliorisi
449 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
When do you start searching for VC's?

I was reading this article on traction and it had an interesting comment in it: If you wait until you're "ready" to fund you're too late. Funding is about developing a relationship over time....

asked Apr 23 '11 at 05:52
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.02K Views
Is it critical to partner with a local VC? East-West a problem?

I'm in NY. It's been suggested I limit the scope of my VC courting to my native coast. I appreciate the intimacy of the entrepreneur/VC relationship, but if I'm looking for early-stage funding,...

asked Apr 16 '11 at 04:51
Blank
Anonymous
16 points

12 Votes
1 Answers
4.19K Views
Why do startups need so much money?

What are startups raising millions of dollars for? I know running a website can get costly, but seriously, millions? I just don't get it. And if you say advertising, I still don't get it, because...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 14:37
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points