Venture Capital Questions

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.53K Views
VC not needed? What am I missing from these costs?

My roommate and I are partners and only employees in a startup focused on a single web application (for now). We discussed VC, but based on the costs we thought of it seemed unnecessary. Here are...

asked Jan 20 '12 at 12:14
Blank
Mirov
384 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
How investment works when the entrepreneur is a foreigner?

I'm a foreign entrepreneur, If a US investor shows interest in investing in my company. At what stage do i have to meet them? do you think it's worth it to spend $2000 in travel expenses and yet...

asked Jan 22 '12 at 02:19
Blank
Ryan
139 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
Including a demo with your pitch email. Good or Bad?

Recently I've been emailing local VCs with accelerator/partner programs (With only "contactus" and no application forms) in order to apply. The mail was the standard small bit a of background about...

asked Jan 23 '12 at 17:17
Blank
User744319
94 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.9K Views
Where to raise funds before quitting a regular job and found a company?

I came across kickstarter webpage which offers an excellent opportunity to raise money needed to launch a product/service without prior personal financial investments. We are a team of engineers...

asked Dec 12 '11 at 21:34
Blank
Niko
128 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.24K Views
How do you decide whether to commit to a project?

I have several startup ideas waiting in a drawer, some of which are probably worth further exploring and continuing to a full business plan and start execution. A different person would probably...

asked Oct 27 '11 at 20:58
Blank
Robert Koritnik
308 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.63K Views
Do I bring the Business Angel to the VC-Pitch?

Would it be wise to bring our Angel to the VC-pitch? The Angel would make a good impression. He is definetely better at pitching than everyone in the team. But what impression would it make, if...

asked Oct 31 '11 at 21:45
Blank
Tim
16 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.19K Views
Finding institutional investment / VC while employed full time

I am currently employed at a large software company and have recently sprouted a new business idea which I believe (as all true entrepreneurs would) has big potential. The concept would likely...

asked Oct 21 '11 at 13:03
Blank
Razrlite
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Checklist of things for presenting for Angel Investment

What things should an entrepreneur have noted, ready to present an investment opportunity to an Angel Investor?

asked Oct 5 '11 at 22:05
Blank
Richard
44 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
Why would you want to avoid "participating preferred stock"?

There's a really nice info graph on techcrunch explaining dilution of stock. http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/13/understanding-how-dilution-affects-you-at-a-startup/ After reading it I wonder if...

asked Oct 14 '11 at 11:53
Blank
Peter K.
194 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.43K Views
Do angels/venture capitalists expect you to invest your own capital?

I recently talked with some nice retired business people about startups. They gave me some great help but one thing that they said stuck out and I wanted to confirm or deny it. I was told that the...

asked Oct 4 '11 at 09:05
Blank
David Mokon Bond
234 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.9K Views
What is are fair equity stakes between early tech founder and later biz founder?

I've been developing a SaaS project for about 4 months now. About two weeks ago, I invited a friend to join the project to work on building relationships with vc's, drafting documentation, a little...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 00:53
Blank
User12764
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
What's a good [Dragons Den] pitching model?

Would-be start-up's pitching to VCs (at least, on Dragons Den) need to offer a % of their business, in exchange for an agreed amount of up-front capital & (sometimes) a bit of business...

asked Sep 6 '11 at 11:56
Blank
Ivi
6 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
1.88K Views
Real-life scenarios of encounters with VC/Angel funding?

I've started lately to think about what's common sense when it comes to seeking funding from VC's or Angels. So What I would like to do is spend a few hours on reading some stories by actual...

asked Sep 8 '11 at 01:03
Blank
Industrial
78 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
Will an angel investor be turned off by the founders not wanting to quit their day jobs just yet?

....my co-founder and I are working on a SaaS product and there is a chance we may seek an angel investment. Do you think us wanting to keep our day jobs for 3-6 more months will be a turn-off to...

asked Sep 12 '11 at 16:51
Blank
Dmurtagh
157 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
2.36K Views
How do you respond to an unfriendly VC?

I contacted a VC after being introduced by a mutual friend. A couple of days ago I received an email with an arrogant & a little too proud attitude. My options: Ignore him (I'm not dependent...

asked Sep 1 '11 at 06:29
Blank
Fgfggfsfgssfdsfsdf
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.4K Views
Venture Capital Equity

How much equity should VC get for $400K in startup funds? And what's the best way to figure this out if I adjust my capital requirements?

asked Aug 19 '11 at 06:09
Blank
John
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
How to do market research with a focus group?

To help me raise funds for a new company (medical device) I decided to do some market research. I was able to arrange a focus group in a local hospital where I would like to get some input from...

asked Aug 2 '11 at 01:37
Blank
Ronny
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
I have a static prototype, can I get angel investment?

I have a static prototype for a very promising company. The prototype is not dynamic, just made to show how the site works. I need an investment to actually develop the functionality and get some...

asked Aug 7 '11 at 03:29
Blank
Dawson Whitfield
6 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
4.71K Views
What does "warrants for the equity kicker" mean?

I was reading an article in a VC's blog and I found this explanation about venture debt: "The terms are usually three years, interest only, balloon payment, with warrants for the equity...

asked Jul 29 '11 at 04:08
Blank
Sd Reyes
156 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
How long to wait for investing?

I'm the tech guy and doing a lot of technical development for the startup. How long does one wait around for the business people to get funding from VC's and Angels? is there a ballpark of how...

asked Jul 22 '11 at 04:51
Blank
User9968
229 points