Angel Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
Fair equity in this scenario?

I'm looking for opinions on what you would expect the equity distribution to be in this scenario: Person #1: Came up with the idea, left his job 1 year ago & went unpaid for 6 months, filed...

asked Sep 13 '11 at 21:26
Blank
Boston123
113 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
3.75K Views
how do you protect your idea when going to a venture capital company?

I have an online idea that requires a lot of IT. I am the marketer and can implement on that front but do not have the IT experience or know-how. I would like to find a venture capital company that...

asked Sep 2 '11 at 10:43
Blank
Jodi
26 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.94K Views
How to summarize shares of angels repeating investments?

Provided I raise a first investment from angel on X valuation, then raise another one from same angel on X+Y valuation, what would be the total amount of percentage the angel will have of the...

asked Aug 25 '11 at 06:55
Blank
Sy Ber
109 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.85K Views
How much equity to share with a seed investor, who wants to offer the money as a loan to the company?

I found an investor, who is ready to invest seed capital ( about $ 100,000 )into the company. But she wants to invest it, in the form of a Loan ( payable back with an interest rate slightly better...

asked Aug 12 '11 at 05:19
Blank
Kumar
6 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.9K Views
What does it mean to get angel funded? Is it giving away a %?

When I read about a company getting angel funded, what does it mean? Is it a company selling a % of their company in exchange for seed money? Is there any interest involved?

asked Aug 13 '11 at 06:38
Blank
Codecompleting
106 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.42K Views
I have a static prototype, can I get angel investment?

I have a static prototype for a very promising company. The prototype is not dynamic, just made to show how the site works. I need an investment to actually develop the functionality and get some...

asked Aug 7 '11 at 03:29
Blank
Dawson Whitfield
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.44K Views
Founder stocks and Employee pool

Is it common to issue equity to CEO as Preferred stock but other co-founders as Common stock? When setting up a 20% employee pool, it is common to have terms that the unissued equity will be...

asked Jul 23 '11 at 13:52
Blank
Howard
126 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.42K Views
How to run a party angel round without a lead investor?

I have been able to get significant interest from a good number of well suited angels for my business, after many months of looking for folks who grok my industry. But now, it's the middle of the...

asked Jul 14 '11 at 15:20
Blank
Britta Riley
11 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
How long to wait for investing?

I'm the tech guy and doing a lot of technical development for the startup. How long does one wait around for the business people to get funding from VC's and Angels? is there a ballpark of how...

asked Jul 22 '11 at 04:51
Blank
User9968
229 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
What do you do when your Angel turns out to be a Devil?

Investor are in it for one thing, profit. That's okay if both the founders and the investors profit. What do you do when the "Angels" who have been funding your work kick out the founders and the...

asked Jul 22 '11 at 06:38
Blank
Busted Flatt
16 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.68K Views
Do Angel Investors get paid before a successful exit?

We have a new startup and are trying to meet with some potential angel investors. We were asked if we have a ROI schedule. I thought that investors get paid only when the company has a successful...

asked Jul 22 '11 at 10:14
Blank
Brandon Mitchell
21 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
Popularity of restricted stock?

Several newbie questions for restricted stocks... Is it common for seed fund to invest in restricted stock? Is it common to issue restricted stock to cofounder? Is it common to turn option to...

asked Jul 5 '11 at 01:47
Blank
Yoga
116 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.75K Views
Share value based on 5 year cash flow projection

I am about to embark on raising money. I am reasonably sure that I have constructed an accurate but very conservative 5 year plan. If the cash flows are to be believed, I will now have to pin a...

asked Jun 30 '11 at 08:37
Blank
Michael
234 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Approached by investors from overseas

What types of things do I need to consider if I get approached from a venture fund overseas? I had an early-stage venture fund from Germany contact me looking to learn more about our startup and...

asked Jun 5 '11 at 05:46
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
My sales person (independent, not employee) wants to be an angel investor

I started a surveillance technology company in May 2010. Since the beginning, we have been working with a person that has been in the security industry for quite a while. He was providing some...

asked May 27 '11 at 04:47
Blank
Michael
234 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.85K Views
What are the best ways of advertising a new green-technology product to angel investors

My company recently completed development of a new highly innovative commercial green-technology product. The product has two versions - for commercial and residential use. I need help of an...

asked Jun 3 '11 at 07:34
Blank
Dom
16 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.25K Views
What has been your experience with VC/Angel Investor funding?

Have you taken VC money or angel investor funding for your enterprise? At what stage? What has been your experience so far? I know Joel advises against it and hasn't used VC money so far, and I...

asked May 20 '11 at 20:21
Blank
Water Cooler V2
139 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Getting Funding for a Tech Startup in Florida

I'm well aware of the vast sums of VC money in the Bay Area, Seattle, and even Boston. I'm located in the Tampa, FL area and am starting my business here. I'm willing to move the business after a...

asked May 25 '11 at 05:44
Blank
Aj.
212 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.24K Views
Structuing Equity Sale in Early Tech Startup

I have a few Angel investors, and a meeting next week with serveral VCs (brought to the table by the primary Angel), and I am trying to put together the equity sale package to present to everyone...

asked May 12 '11 at 23:48
Blank
Entrepreneur
11 points

9 Votes
5 Answers
2.55K Views
Looking for investment while still working full-time

I had it in my head (since I need my salary to pay my bills) that I would continue working full-time until either a) the business earned enough that I could quite or more likely b) we secured seed...

asked May 14 '11 at 00:10
Blank
Nick
1,171 points