Finance Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.11K Views
[UK] Pros and cons of self billing for first time contractor?

I've just started my own company and I'm initially contracting - I've been asked if I want to send invoices, or do self billing. I've had a look online and I can't see any reason not to self bill,...

asked Apr 26 '11 at 18:46
Blank
Martyn
128 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Small Business Checking Fees

We're comparing banks for our small business checking, and noticing something counter-intuitive: the banks appear to have established a maximum for cash deposits. For example, Wachovia offers...

asked Apr 28 '11 at 12:02
Blank
Aj.
212 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
How to form an INC Company

I would like to know how inc companies are formed. Is it only beyond some threshold revenue or asset barrier that companies can be incorporated as incs. I have seen most of the US major companies:...

asked Apr 28 '11 at 18:24
Blank
Pathum Mudannayake
178 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
Chicken/Egg: New Startup, Need Credit Card

We're a new startup and need a credit card to make some online purchases. We're looking into options and all of them seem to want at least two years of business history, positive cash flow, etc....

asked Apr 29 '11 at 11:20
Blank
Aj.
212 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
What is the best way to get commissions from transactions on my web site

I am thinking building web application where buyers and sellers could meet and buy/sell items/service. (There wont be any item to sell butthey will pay for service ) But i dont know how to get...

asked Apr 21 '11 at 23:33
Blank
Seyn
3 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.09K Views
Most important skill a businessman should have

What is the most important skill one should have when starting up or running a business? is it financial handling?

asked Apr 24 '11 at 13:27
Blank
Pathum Mudannayake
178 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
Identifying failing and bad start-up companies (for sofware developers)

I recently caught up with a former colleague, a mid-level software developer. For the last year, he has been at a failing (badly), self-funded, single-owner software startup. According to him, the...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 00:49
Blank
Mqv
52 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Working out key financials

Hi i am writing my business plan, I have identified my potential revenue streams such as; 1) Ticketing and Merchandising 2) Advertising As well as a few others, however how do you go about...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 07:49
Blank
Pmillio
57 points

12 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
Why do startups need so much money?

What are startups raising millions of dollars for? I know running a website can get costly, but seriously, millions? I just don't get it. And if you say advertising, I still don't get it, because...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 14:37
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2K Views
How do websites that don't charge anything make money?

The obvious answer is "advertising" but I've heard of a lot of decently popular sites that don't make much on advertising. How else do you make money? are they just hoping to get bought out? And...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 15:18
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
How should I charge web customers for small transaction amounts?

EDIT 1: So in short, is there a free way for me to get $1 from a customer and send that $1 to my bank account. If free is not an option, what is the cheapest way for me to get that $1 to my bank...

asked Mar 16 '11 at 19:09
Blank
Oshirowanen
201 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
Best way to pay users

Lets say I make the next google ads service (hypothetically speaking), how can I pay my users in more or less real time? with minimal or no additional cost to the company.

asked Mar 17 '11 at 01:14
Blank
Nami
113 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
income in paypal

Does income in my paypal account need to be declared for tax purposes, or does it just have to be declared for tax purposes if I transfer my paypal funds to a real bank account?

asked Mar 17 '11 at 18:19
Blank
Oshirowanen
201 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
Do I need 1099-MISC forms for someone paid via paypal?

If I pay someone via paypal, do I still have to fill in the 1099 and/or w forms?

asked Mar 17 '11 at 19:00
Blank
Oshirowanen
201 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
1.25K Views
Cloud-based accounting software

I am in the process of starting a business. The nature of the business is Photography (weddings, etc.). What would be a good accounting software solution (preferably cloud-based or SaaS)?

asked Mar 18 '11 at 05:38
Blank
Brian David Berman
140 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.29K Views
How do you produce an accurate financial forecast if you have no operating history?

Our company has been asked to produce a financial forecast. Normally you would use data from similar businesses in the same industry. But, how can we do this when our business model is different...

asked Mar 10 '11 at 10:00
Blank
167 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Hourly billing application

What application do you guys use for hourly client billing/tracking? Probably a "stupid" question, but very useful for those just starting.

asked Mar 14 '11 at 10:33
Blank
Chad Brewbaker
111 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
What/who decides which stock exchange a company is listed on?

What/who decides which stock exchange a company is listed on? How is the decision taken (if it's actually a decision)?

asked Jan 30 '11 at 10:20
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.15K Views
What costs are involved in operating a Web subscription service?

I am in the process of determining the pricing details for a subscription service (I have the standard, premium and plus accounts) and I'd like to create a spreadsheet of what expenses are involved...

asked Jan 3 '11 at 06:01
Blank
User3462
345 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Simplest way to financially accept ad revenue?

I am a professional developer with a couple of hobby websites. I have been paying hosting costs out of my pocket over the last couple of years and don't really mind as the users have been grateful....

asked Jan 12 '11 at 09:14
Blank
Blu
113 points