Finance Questions

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.88K Views
What's the most important thing that startups should know about tax (in the US)?

Tax is a strange thing to deal with. What's the most important thing that incorporated startups in the US should know about tax?

asked May 20 '10 at 04:07
Blank
Mark Bao
604 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.77K Views
What resources do you use to get yourself educated in finances required to start a business?

I'm not formally educated in finance but I want to learn it so I can start my business, what resources would you recommend?

asked Jun 7 '10 at 19:01
Blank
Elisha
64 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.08K Views
How much equity in exchange for angel money?

I am not sure what the going rate is for angel money in the software space is it 100k for 10% equity?

asked May 1 '10 at 00:12
Blank
Stacey
484 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.61K Views
What type of funding are you using?

I'd like to start a thread discussing the type of funding different startups are using and why. I think that there are a lot of people here who would like to hear the general experiences,...

asked Mar 30 '10 at 03:10
Blank
Ev Conrad
561 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.02K Views
Experience with payment gateway for ecommerce site?

Anyone have experience with ANY of the below payment gateways (some do merchant services as well) that you can comment on: Payjunction Authorize.net Braintree Looking at these three gateways....

asked Mar 31 '10 at 03:40
Blank
Scott Blanc
90 points

1 Votes
7 Answers
3.28K Views
Startup fundamentals: Finance for Non-Financial Managers

I am an entrepreneur who thought of an idea and executed. We are growing and now I am realizing basic challenges that all business face when it comes to operations, employees and financial...

asked Mar 12 '10 at 23:28
Blank
Gesco
71 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.13K Views
Why is the finance industry so lucrative?

Why is the finance industry so lucrative ? According to Yahoo Finance, the finance sector has by far the largest market capitalization of all sectors. And yet, I have a hard time understanding why...

asked Mar 14 '10 at 22:54
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
2.86K Views
What does it take to be an Angel?

I'm a wannabe Angel. I don't sit on a huge pile of cash, but my intention is to help startups in whatever possible way within my capacity. I haven't made a decision yet, as this thought has...

asked Feb 12 '10 at 19:18
Blank
Sandeep Satavlekar
325 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.95K Views
Starting an online bank

What is involved in starting a bank? I am aware that rules might differ from country to country. But let's say I wanted to start an online bank in the US. What is needed?

asked Jan 28 '10 at 03:35
Blank
Thom Pete
1,296 points

5 Votes
9 Answers
3.59K Views
What application do you use for managing your business' finances?

I was wondering what applications other people here use to manage their business finances. I looked at some programs such as Simply Accounting and QuickBooks, but both of their free versions are...

asked Jan 16 '10 at 02:57
Blank
Elie
4,692 points

11 Votes
8 Answers
4.69K Views
Business Bank Account Suggestions

Recently, my partner and I created an LLC and have secured about 30K in capital to start our online company. We are in the process of choosing a bank to work with and would appreciate some...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 01:52
Blank
Scott Blanc
90 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
3.58K Views
Launch on a tiny budget

I have a product I'm developing on my own, with no other investors or partners. Via another project I'm developing, I have an IP Waiver and NDA that I can use for the project, I'm using my personal...

asked Dec 8 '09 at 03:08
Blank
Elie
4,692 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
4.4K Views
What's the Best Credit Card for a Start-up?

I've been using our debit/bank card to make purchases, and I'm not entirely comfortable putting that out there. I'd also like to potentially be earning points for things, although I don't want to...

asked Nov 21 '09 at 00:36
Blank
Josh Sam Bob
1,578 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.55K Views
Reagrding pricing ...Should it be few big fish or many small fish

We have software which can run as per user SaaS model and also as custom deployment. To advertise we are planning to host it and give it free for some time / users. But there is another argument as...

asked Nov 24 '09 at 23:30
Blank
Jigar Shah
131 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.59K Views
Are there standard approaches to equity and compensation when joining early stage startups?

I recently met the founder of a web startup who is looking to build his management team. I would fill an executive position on that team. Last year, the company received initial angel funding...

asked Nov 27 '09 at 15:04
Blank
Robert
43 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
Know any SaaS Start up / ISV Ratios?

Many fields have standard guideline ratios for numbers. For example, in the catalog industry the rule I hear is that all costs excluding labor should never exceed 70% of revenue for a...

asked Nov 17 '09 at 15:05
Blank
Adam
446 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.02K Views
Cash reserves guidelines

For those that are running profitable ventures, some amount of cash reserves are necessary to: Smooth out the variability of cash flows Be prepared for emergencies such as an office flood or a...

asked Oct 25 '09 at 16:34
Blank
Oleg Barshay
2,091 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.62K Views
How do freemium services/open source softwares etc. make ends meet?

From a long time, I have been wondering how do services which are free or based on freemium models operate? Open source free softwares like Firefox, VLC player (if you are aware of it) or other...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 05:32
Blank
Himanshu
56 points

9 Votes
6 Answers
3.2K Views
What is more important - having funding or keeping control?

I am starting-off a venture with limited capital that will be sufficient to keep my business afloat for at least 12-18 months. I believe that my product will get some traction during this period,...

asked Oct 17 '09 at 20:44
Blank
Joydeep
185 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.62K Views
How big should a company's rainy day fund be?

"They" have always said that, as an individual, we should have enough in cash savings to cover 3-6 months of living expenses. Have you heard of a rule of thumb for (small) businesses? How do you...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 12:32
Blank
Alex Papadimoulis
5,901 points