Getting Started Questions

These are the basics you'll need if you're looking to be an entrepreneur and start marketing yourself.

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.97K Views
Starting an online bank

What is involved in starting a bank? I am aware that rules might differ from country to country. But let's say I wanted to start an online bank in the US. What is needed?

asked Jan 28 '10 at 03:35
Blank
Thom Pete
1,296 points

20 Votes
10 Answers
4.75K Views
Am I aiming too high, or maybe I'm just not meant to be an entrepreneur?

I live in Mexico, and come from a middle-low class family (and that's third world middle-low class) and all my life I've had in me this entrepreneurial dream which I have not been able to make...

asked Jan 9 '10 at 07:12
Blank
Soska
103 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
How to decide when to reject an order

A month ago we (a group of four IT people) founded a small company here in germany. Two of us still finishing up college and myself and the other collegue have a full time job on a big european IT...

asked Jan 12 '10 at 19:21
Blank
Henrik P.
113 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
2.51K Views
If I have multiple types of programs should they each be in different companies

If I do get the ownership of the two applications, one for safety engineers and one for dental clinics, these are vastly different applications. Then I am working on my google applications, which...

asked Jan 16 '10 at 16:59
Blank
James Black
2,642 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.97K Views
Side Projects. Any Success Stories?

Any success stories out there where someone with a full time job managed to start a business in their spare time? If so, how did you do it? How do you stay motivated? Did you do it alone? On a...

asked Jan 2 '10 at 16:45
Blank
Bret
136 points

6 Votes
9 Answers
3.76K Views
Strategies for coming up with ideas

The first step in any startup must be coming up with an idea and this seems a big first hurdle. A lot of people seem to come up with these ideas either to address problems they are experiencing...

asked Jan 7 '10 at 02:26
Blank
James
173 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.86K Views
How to ensure success before launching?

Dharmesh Shah made mention about talking people to people who are interested in your domain about your product before releasing your idea. he talks about it in this video over at mixergy. Excellent...

asked Dec 13 '09 at 06:55
Blank
Espinet
221 points

6 Votes
8 Answers
7.33K Views
What companies failed because they released too early?

Most bloggers are saying you should release early, iterate often, and fail fast. But some companies are notorious for releasing early, but then getting a bad reputation which led to their failure....

asked Dec 19 '09 at 05:41
Blank
Jason
16,231 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.41K Views
Release or wait for data to be available?

We are planning to launch a web site for real estate ads. Actually, it's a web site where real estate agents can post properties(houses, flat, land) to sell or to rent. Then other people can look...

asked Nov 21 '09 at 00:58
Blank
Pattchen
16 points

0 Votes
5 Answers
3.07K Views
How should we approach selling to entrepreneurs?

We recently launched a new service business. Our target is the potential entrepreneur. Our goal is to help the people go from curious to competent in making the go/no go decision in launching...

asked Nov 26 '09 at 09:02
Blank
Ideareview
61 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.56K Views
First Product Launch - help!

I'm hoping to launch my first product of my first start-up in the month or so (New Year time-frame). Any advice as to how to avoid problems and get it out there quickly, easily and effectively?...

asked Nov 27 '09 at 19:15
Blank
Alistair Collins
181 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
3.91K Views
How do you start a software business when you have no idea about it

Let's say that I have come up with a good software idea that needs to be built and designed. Let's also imagine that I have no background in IT and therefore need to find somebody to build and...

asked Nov 30 '09 at 03:19
Blank
A. Garcia
1,601 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.64K Views
Which type of business to form?

I'm currently starting up a small business with two other partners who are very trustful friends. The business is mostly software, along with one small piece of hardware. We've talked about the...

asked Nov 17 '09 at 12:58
Blank
Brianz
223 points

6 Votes
12 Answers
3.18K Views
Advice for First Time Enterpreneur

From your experience, what would you like to advice First Time Enterpreneur ?

asked Oct 26 '09 at 08:57
Blank
Rachel
173 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.33K Views
Early Start-Up Advice

What would you say is the most important advice you would you give to someone just beginning a Start-Up?

asked Nov 4 '09 at 02:43
Blank
Alistair Collins
181 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
6.57K Views
How can I determine potential market demand?

I would like to determine the potential market demand for a non-software, travel product that requires significant up-front capital for manufacturing. What open source software, if any, would you...

asked Oct 15 '09 at 23:47
Blank
Val Lynn
483 points

12 Votes
10 Answers
6.33K Views
Use home address for business?

We are a tiny early-stage startup operating out of our own home. We would like to be able to give out our contact information to potential customers, but are not sure whether it's a good idea to...

asked Oct 19 '09 at 00:40
Blank
Shirley Cohen
61 points

11 Votes
12 Answers
6.19K Views
How did you conceive your startup idea?

I think a lot of conceivable startups have already been conceived. A lot of workable business ideas have already been worked out. How did you manage to conceive your startup idea? All is well if...

asked Oct 22 '09 at 17:59
Blank
Graviton
871 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.5K Views
Service based company or engineering management?

I have been working as a software developer for 3 years. I have worked in j2ee. I always wanted to start a start-up myself of a service based company. I have decent funding from well known business...

asked Oct 22 '09 at 18:38
Blank
Akkyy
26 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.56K Views
What frustrates you most when building a startup?

I found that this forum is a very encouraging site for people that is building a startup. I can also see based on most of the questions, basically what people are looking for, are words of...

asked Oct 23 '09 at 16:35
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points