Getting Started Questions

These are the basics you'll need if you're looking to be an entrepreneur and start marketing yourself.

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.56K Views
I have a startup that is almost ready and I'm finding it hard to get companies on board, what can I do?

I know this question has been asked many times before in a plethora of different ways, but I couldn't find anything to help me out, so my apologies if this comes off as a duplicate of another...

asked May 25 '11 at 09:49
Blank
Digital Sea
1,613 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.48K Views
I'm not sure how to satisfy the entrepreneurial itch

I have a good job and a good salary that supports my family, but I find myself constantly dreaming of owning my own business. It's a sort of obsession that I can't stop. It's been going on for...

asked Apr 29 '11 at 10:50
Blank
Bradimier
11 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.67K Views
Where to draw ideas from?

There are many great products and projects going on everywhere. Even if they aren't great - it doesn't matter. People are realizing their ideas and doing what they love. So, where are people...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 03:42
Blank
B?????
118 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.82K Views
LLC or S-corp for a 2 person California consulting company

My business partner and I currently work as independent contractors in California writing software and have decided to turn it into a real company. Ownership will be 50/50. All revenue will come...

asked Apr 16 '11 at 08:35
Blank
Todd H
196 points

7 Votes
8 Answers
5.06K Views
Think I Have a Great Startup Idea, Don't Know Next Steps

Ok, so everyone thinks they have the next big great idea. Let's just assume for the sake of this question that I really DO have a good/great idea. Some background and basic. I'm obviously not...

asked Mar 24 '11 at 03:47
Blank
Phil Sandler
138 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.25K Views
What are the most important personal qualities to start up and succeed in new business

I am a developer, and I've launched and failed once before some time back. I am still analyzing all the reasons our start up didn't take off (we were 4 developers). I wanted to learn from the...

asked Mar 26 '11 at 10:26
Blank
Sanjeevakumar Hiremath
108 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
5.56K Views
How to source deals for my daily deals website start up?

Firstly, I know what you are thinking already, "Not another daily deals website!" - it's true, I am entering an oversaturated, highly competitive market of daily deal websites. It's going to be an...

asked Feb 17 '11 at 17:23
Blank
Digital Sea
1,613 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.03K Views
How to startup an expensive idea?

Ok, so I've got (yet another) idea for a startup, which I think is pretty good. The innovative and most expensive part of it might just not be possible but the project could fallback to a good...

asked Jan 28 '11 at 02:13
Blank
Cawas
120 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.62K Views
Being part of the game while being an outsider

Any recommendations on being part of the game while you are an outsider, living far away from any startup hub*? I try to keep myself up to date with what's going on by watching podcasts, reading...

asked Feb 2 '11 at 21:19
Blank
J. Pablo Fernández
412 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
4.4K Views
I have a great Idea for a Startup, a Web App Business, How and Where to start?

I have a great idea for a web app in personal finance niche. It's a B2C. I have brainstormed and did some research. I made some specs and wrote the idea explaining every functionality. There is...

asked Jan 17 '11 at 22:28
Blank
Andy Mortin
141 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.95K Views
How to Meet Startup Entrepreneurs in Austin, Texas?

Can any Austinites recommend good networking events for meeting other startup entrepreneurs? The TechRanch looks promising - what else should I check out? I'll be in Austin soon and would like to...

asked Jan 19 '11 at 10:12
Blank
Brandon King
959 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.78K Views
best plan on how to open a new optical buisness?

My wife is an optometrist of ten years and is ready to stop working for someone else and start her own establishment. She is very well liked by all her patients and since moving from NY to NJ last...

asked Jan 4 '11 at 02:36
Blank
Kacalapy
129 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.38K Views
Starting a software company in a remote/isolated place

I am in Peshawar, Pakistan ... a place hardly known for software companies. How do I do it here or even online from here? I am capable of developing software, have loads of ideas (some of which...

asked Jan 4 '11 at 04:33
Blank
Mumtaz
138 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.86K Views
Starting a wristband business. What type of corporate entity should we create?

My friends and I are committed to promoting a very specific cause and we have decided to sell wristbands to promote this cause and raise awareness. We intend to set up a website where people will...

asked Jan 4 '11 at 06:12
Blank
A. Garcia
1,601 points

10 Votes
8 Answers
3.73K Views
New Startup - How to outsource everything without losing control

I run one technology startup now that takes up most/all of my time. I have another idea for a technology startup and wanted to outsource everything either through contract workers or salaried...

asked Dec 16 '10 at 14:55
Blank
Steve
56 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
How To Market A Service/Product That Has Never Been Available Before

I'm in the process of building an online service that is primarily focussed on businesses. I can't go in to too much detail about it, but it's a piece of software that would be used by people who...

asked Dec 23 '10 at 00:40
Blank
Mickburkejnr
111 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.75K Views
Is there a project starting/launching platform/community online?

I have a lot of project ideas (like many of you) but I have some issues. There seems to be no easy way to find existing project online or to ask people what they think of an idea. I'm looking for a...

asked Dec 12 '10 at 05:23
Blank
Mig
6 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.23K Views
Improvement of existing product

So I have (what I think) is a good improvement for an existing pet product that I use daily. There are also many people who use the same product that I think would like the modification I've...

asked Nov 7 '10 at 10:08
Blank
Sblackwell
21 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.23K Views
How to get name recognition for your startup?

I was wondering what is a good way to get your company/yourself a known name? Meaning that there obviously several methods to achieve popularity and to provide people a good quality so that they...

asked Nov 17 '10 at 01:09
Blank
Denys S.
166 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
4.16K Views
Starting an apartment rental business

This is my first post on this forum (although I have been posting on a sister site - stackoverflow - for quite a while). I recently left the army and my brother and I are considering buying up a...

asked Oct 22 '10 at 09:58
Blank
Rob
128 points