Getting Started Questions

These are the basics you'll need if you're looking to be an entrepreneur and start marketing yourself.

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.96K Views
How do I apply for a visa to work on my startup in the U.S.?

I am a founder from China. I am looking for a chance to move to the U.S to build up my company, especially California - a great place for IT companies. The Startup Visa (EB-6) is a great bill, but...

asked Sep 27 '11 at 21:16
Blank
Anlai
375 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.39K Views
What are the pros and cons of incubating a new startup within a successful existing company?

I have a well thought out idea for a new startup. The startup will be unrelated to my current small company that is doing quite well. My basic options are to incubate the new startup within my...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 02:21
Blank
Keith De Long
5,091 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.05K Views
How do you move forward with a novel e-commerce idea?

I have an idea for a web product. It's a new type of e-commerce site. I have the most fundamental questions. The first is how to even go about getting any advice for it. One concern is that a one...

asked Sep 14 '11 at 08:48
Blank
Craig
16 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.62K Views
Is 17 too young to apply to Y Combinator or any other incubator program

We are team of two 17 year old students with an "idea". Is it possible to even be considered for Y Combinator etc. We realize we dont have much credentials in terms of experience and education but...

asked Sep 9 '11 at 07:45
Blank
User13214
23 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
When someone should focus on local market or go for the big catch?

Hello there is an old saying that says "you should better be first in your village rather second( or thirth or fourth) in your town". My question is something that a lot of people think (maybe...

asked Sep 10 '11 at 03:46
Blank
Nikolai
125 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.7K Views
Advertisment on startup is a good idea or not?

As everyone knows that in the beginning days of startups everyone tries to lay low on the cash flow so my question here is that is it a good idea to have ads on the startups(websites)? And if the...

asked Sep 11 '11 at 20:22
Blank
Safran Ali
272 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.2K Views
Self employed or a Limited company, which should I register my startup under?

I am a web developer and I am currently self-employed work with several companies on different projects. As I am also thinking of building start-up. And I don't own a team, I work alone by far so...

asked Sep 13 '11 at 01:46
Blank
Safran Ali
272 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
Is there any platform on which I can find a developer/designer for my project?

Is there any platform where we can find developer/designer or where designer and developers collaborate and contribute. There are lot of website where this things happens but they are much like a...

asked Aug 30 '11 at 20:08
Blank
Parry
108 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
Want to get into Android app development, but have questions about the buisiness side of doing so

So I'm a CompSci student going into my second year of university in Montreal, Quebec at Concordia and I've been planing on getting started with Android development. I'll be getting myself a Samsung...

asked Aug 31 '11 at 09:49
Blank
Portaljacker
106 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.68K Views
How to find reliable business partners

I've been trying to get involved, get my name out there, and network with fellow local entrepreneurs in my area. I am a 22 year old developer/designer, student and entrepreneur at heart. From what...

asked Sep 2 '11 at 23:57
Blank
User9968
229 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.56K Views
What is the hourly rate of a freelance marketing consultant?

I am in a start up with very limited financial liquidity (less than $10,000) I reached a stage where my online store is taking shape, I have a stock of product now and enough to start a sales...

asked Aug 26 '11 at 12:11
Blank
Ramzi
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.78K Views
Going away to school and my new StartUp

I'm on my last year of University and about to go to Sweden for 5 months as a part of an exchange program. Unfortunately, my one-man startup is in a critical stage. My startup has about 40 paying...

asked Aug 12 '11 at 16:27
Blank
Nick
173 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
Low Barriers to entry

I am looking to start a service business that has very low barriers to entry and I am concerned with competition. Has anyone had a similar problem or concern? If so, what have you done to overcome...

asked Aug 16 '11 at 09:41
Blank
Grandejessica
6 points

17 Votes
9 Answers
29.4K Views
Advice for overcoming fear of quitting a good job to build a startup

I am having a lot of anxiety and fear when thinking about quitting my high paying job to join a startup that has a lot of potential. I have great hours, an excellent management team, and rewarding...

asked Aug 17 '11 at 02:50
Blank
Imaginative
205 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.61K Views
How to find co-founders?

I have approached friends and family about my idea, but none of my friends are really into business like I am. Also, I come from a family of zero business owners. I'm starting college at a...

asked Aug 17 '11 at 12:48
Blank
Ryan
13 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.25K Views
Where should I register my LLC

I want to start my own business. I have developed a few iOS Apps and Android Apps under my real name.All these apps were published before I became employed (Full Time). I want to continue...

asked Aug 18 '11 at 01:19
Blank
Cocoa Dev
122 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
I have a website idea I need to share with major companies

My idea works with the help of major companies, however, Im afraid if I share it with them they may steal the idea. I know there isnt much I can do to protect myself from this happening. My...

asked Aug 5 '11 at 03:18
Blank
B Run
11 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.52K Views
competing with Amazon, how to, the smart approach

For a number of months I have been thinking how to create an e-commerce solution that competes with Amazon. I came up with an idea that is probably lame, but i'd like to understand why it will not...

asked Aug 5 '11 at 23:31
Blank
Somid3
195 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.58K Views
Starting my own website building business and not a freelancing business

I develop web sites for over 10 years now (among other programming jobs), and I'm burning inside to start my own business, for a long time now. And, of course, I'm afraid to begin yet another "lost...

asked Aug 6 '11 at 04:17
Blank
Cawas
120 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.44K Views
How to record monies owed to me by my new startup? (bookkeeping question)

I have recently started a startup. I am totally bootstrapping the startup, and so costs are being kept to a minimum. There is no way the company can afford to pay me my normal (or even...

asked Aug 9 '11 at 15:45
Blank
Voidstar
55 points