UK Questions

1 Votes
7 Answers
3.77K Views
Looking for a UK online payment solution that only takes a percentage or a flat fee

I'm currently looking for an online payment solution for a business website I'm working on and it turns out it's a bit more complex than I'd first though. I'd like to run at a very small download...

asked Feb 9 '12 at 01:15
Blank
Space Beers
168 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
Can I claim back in expenses costs of my uni degree?

I've registered a UK limited company which is going to sell online language courses. Can I claim back in expenses costs of my university degree, if the degree is highly correlated with what my...

asked Feb 9 '12 at 07:23
Blank
Lukeshek
452 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.65K Views
Suggestions for a merchant account and payment gateway for a UK startup using recurring payments?

We are a new company and have developed an online service that we want to charge a monthly fee to use. So far, we have tried two merchant account providers and have been turned down because we are...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 19:10
Blank
Woo Hoo
193 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Freelance work whilst in Full Time employment and Taxes

I am a Software Developer and I live and work for a company in the UK and pay PAYE taxes and NI Contributions through my wages for this jobs salary. I am looking to start working on a couple of...

asked Jan 19 '12 at 00:16
Blank
Penfold
111 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.57K Views
UK Taxation: Do you need to pay tax on revenue gathered from advertisements and donations

I have a plan for some software / services that I believe can generate some cash through advertisements, selling 'pro' versions of the application in their respective 'app stores' and through...

asked Jan 12 '12 at 02:22
Blank
Krslynx
118 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.53K Views
Does using Fulfilment by Amazon in a different country makes you liable to charge local sales tax in the country?

My business is in Canada. I sell goods online that I ship by mail. I would like to use a fulfilment center in the UK to lower the cost of shopping for my european sales. Do I become liable for...

asked Jan 1 '12 at 19:29
Blank
Alexandre H. Tremblay
186 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.1K Views
How to start a UK online business? (admin)

A few years ago I had an idea for an online business, its going to operate as a freemium model and simply deal with information no tangible goods. since then I have been creating the site learning...

asked Jan 8 '12 at 06:09
Blank
Dave
113 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
Choosing a company name

Location: UK I'm thinking about going freelance and having a decent name, and in near future probably convert to a Limited company. However I found on businesslink.gov.uk that the company name is...

asked Dec 25 '11 at 11:40
Blank
Klj613
36 points

11 Votes
4 Answers
2.78K Views
Running an aggressive promotion against a competing product

We want to run a promotion on our website. In the promotion, if someone can provide us proof of purchase of a competitor's software license, we will give them a free software license of our...

asked Dec 2 '11 at 04:01
Blank
James
58 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
7.19K Views
Sole trader loan

I am thinking of becoming a sole trader. I know as a sole trader I am liable for any debt the company has. Can I place money from my personal account into the business account to start it off? I...

asked Oct 29 '11 at 09:38
Blank
Jack
11 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Payment solutions for the UK

I'm struggling to find a payment solution for my UK based startup. I don't intend to sell internationally for a considerable amount of time. I do have a turnover and can probably satisfy merchant...

asked Oct 18 '11 at 18:47
Blank
Neil
125 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
Operating a UK limited company from California

Hi anyone that can help! I have a UK limited company which is web based. I am thinking of spending anything upto 12 months in CA and wondered if its legal for me to carry on running my UK business...

asked Oct 22 '11 at 02:40
Blank
Rob Phillips
16 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.55K Views
Novice questions on starting a business

Lets pretend I'm starting an on line company which sells email accounts; I have some (probably laughable) questions because I'm new to this: Do I have to register as a business with Companies...

asked Sep 10 '11 at 23:45
Blank
Jwbensley
113 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Can a UK Limited company (with standard articles) issue options?

I am about to start a limited company, myself and the other initial shareholders wish to be able to grant options to individuals who contribute significantly. We understand that we can't issue...

asked Aug 27 '11 at 20:09
Blank
James
121 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
what should go in a Memorandum of Association?

I'm planning on setting up a new business in the UK and gather I need a "Memorandum of Association". How important is this for a one-man company? Unbelievably, googling it does not yield any...

asked Aug 20 '11 at 06:49
Blank
Thom Carver
101 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.2K Views
Recommendations for good UK based SEO Companies?

Looking to get some SEO work done on our new website. Seems like a bit of a mine field. Can any one please recommend good companies that you have experience of working with (and if you don't mind...

asked Aug 2 '11 at 21:26
Blank
Bomb Defused
227 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.64K Views
UK startup bank account for new arrivals

I moved to the UK this week, and want to start a company. A few months ago I registered a Limited Company with Companies House, and I am the sole director of the company. I was able to open a...

asked Aug 6 '11 at 15:49
Blank
George Brown
21 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.58K Views
How to hire your first employee in the UK

We are on the brink of hiring our first staff member in the UK. We know there is a lot of paperwork to be done, but have no idea what that paperwork is and which things are crucial and which are...

asked Jul 9 '11 at 20:40
Blank
Nikolay Piryankov
683 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
I am a US citizen and want to become a partner in a friend's UK startup

I am a US citizen and want to become a partner in a friend's UK startup, helping her start a branch office in the US. What is the best way to proceed with this? What forms need to be filled out?

asked Jun 25 '11 at 09:25
Blank
Cara
21 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.77K Views
Recommend a supplier of (UK) template contracts for software development

I'm looking to purchase a template contract for delivering fixed scope/price software development projects, dealing with IP issues and everything else that needs to be taken into consideration. I...

asked Jun 18 '11 at 06:21
Blank
Dan Dyer
657 points