Accounting Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.82K Views
Are shipping charges taxable?

I purchase products and resell them, adding services that relate to computers and technology. For example, I might purchase a laptop, install custom software and settings according to my customer's...

asked Sep 29 '11 at 11:40
Blank
J Yelton
113 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.55K Views
Novice questions on starting a business

Lets pretend I'm starting an on line company which sells email accounts; I have some (probably laughable) questions because I'm new to this: Do I have to register as a business with Companies...

asked Sep 10 '11 at 23:45
Blank
Jwbensley
113 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.73K Views
How to calculate margin on my marketplace app?

My marketplace app has been live for about 2 months now. Sellers list products with me, I handle the transactions, and then charge a 15% commission. If I pulled in, say, $500 last month on...

asked Aug 29 '11 at 23:24
Blank
W. Matthew Wilson
104 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.65K Views
Going with a CPA or Enrollment Agent

My business partner and I are currently looking for an accountant for our growing business. At the moment we have met with two different accountants. One was a CPA and one was an Enrollment Agent....

asked Sep 2 '11 at 00:25
Blank
Edgar Miranda
230 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.38K Views
When should we put salary under cost or expense?

We are currently structuring our book accounts and really do not have any idea when should we put employees salary under cost or expense. Some said that we should put it under cost but some others...

asked Aug 3 '11 at 21:10
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.44K Views
How to record monies owed to me by my new startup? (bookkeeping question)

I have recently started a startup. I am totally bootstrapping the startup, and so costs are being kept to a minimum. There is no way the company can afford to pay me my normal (or even...

asked Aug 9 '11 at 15:45
Blank
Voidstar
55 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.77K Views
1099 required for payment?

I run a small website. I sold $100 of ad space to a local business. They asked me to send them a 1099 so they can set me up in their accounting department. I'm not sure how this works or why I need...

asked Jul 21 '11 at 05:06
Blank
Website Needs 1099
8 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
4.29K Views
What is a good free Business management software?

I'm starting up a lawn mowing service, and I want to know if there is any free software, where I can track sales, customers, expenses ect. It doesn't need to be feature-crazy as my business will...

asked Jul 4 '11 at 07:05
Blank
Ratz
118 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
Startup Taxes and Accounting: Finding services, Best practices, & How not to go to jail

There are many money issues that neither add to my code base nor user base. For example: payroll taxes and excise taxes W2 W3 W4 I9 941 940 1120 + all the equivalent state forms all of those...

asked Jun 13 '11 at 14:32
Blank
Evan
133 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
What are the variables that I must consider in putting together the accounting and legal fees budget?

I am estimating the total amount I need to spend to get things started the right way, but I can't figure out how much I should allocate for accounting and legal services. My startup will be...

asked Jun 12 '11 at 19:09
Blank
Mario Caropreso
36 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
What should I do when VAT adds up differently to my supplier's invoice?

Sometimes when I order a product, the VAT calculation comes out slightly different when I enter the data into my accounting package. Typically the difference is 1p but sometimes it is more. This...

asked Jun 4 '11 at 02:36
Blank
Tim Long
108 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
looking for Accounting solution

I am looking for an accounting solution. I have an online store where I currently use PayPal, Shopify, and of course my own bank. I have not been able to find a good accounting solution yet. I am...

asked May 6 '11 at 03:07
Blank
Hank
1 point

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.85K Views
How To Do Single Person LLC Accounting?

I am in a single person LLC, so I am allowed to file my taxes on my personal return and I don't have to cut myself paychecks. I would prefer to take all of the money out at the end of the year....

asked Apr 28 '11 at 08:38
Blank
Skaz
254 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
How to handle tiny income streams?

As a site owner, I often get emails from random people about doing blog posts, asking for promotions, etc. This amounts to a tiny income stream, often at random timing and rate. The transactions...

asked May 1 '11 at 07:09
Blank
Genadinik
1,821 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
3.18K Views
Is there any tax advantage or incentive to leave money in an LLC at the end of the tax year?

We're forming a 2 person LLC and part of what we're trying to figure out is how much to leave in the LLC to build up some capital reserves. Since an LLC is a pass through tax entity if the LLC...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 10:57
Blank
Todd H
196 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
3.2K Views
What is the difference between a C corp and an S corp?

What is the difference between a C corp and an S corp? I'm seeking clarity to a comment to this question which says the type of corp changes from S to C if equity is vested in a company and not a...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 17:12
Blank
Nissan Dookeran
177 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.55K Views
Switching from a Canadian corporation to a Canadian sole-proprietorship

I currently run a Canadian Corporation, but I'm finding taxes (both accounting fees and bookkeeping) a real pain and expense. I would like to keep the corporation and basically find out how to...

asked Apr 14 '11 at 14:37
Blank
Geek Gal
16 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
Two startups - how to split the 'common' costs?

I'm in the process of starting up a new company, while ramping up an existing one. Are there any generally accepted ways to manage / document the splitting up of office rent, equipment, etc? In the...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 03:39
Blank
Ev Conrad
561 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
3.13K Views
Cloud-based accounting software

I am in the process of starting a business. The nature of the business is Photography (weddings, etc.). What would be a good accounting software solution (preferably cloud-based or SaaS)?

asked Mar 18 '11 at 05:38
Blank
Brian David Berman
140 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.97K Views
How do I classify money I put into my own business for tax purposes?

S-Corp. I am currently the only shareholder. Doing taxes for my first year. How do I properly account for money I've put into the business both in my accounting system, and for tax purposes? Is it...

asked Mar 8 '11 at 13:09
Blank
Jefflunt
113 points