Accounting Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
Virtual corporations, state registration and taxation

This question seems to have been beat up on this site, but I can't find a direct answer. If I have an internet business incorporated in Delaware that sells software online, and I personally live...

asked Mar 1 '11 at 10:39
Blank
Andy
111 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
Tax services for an almost non-existant corp

I founded an s-corp with a couple of friends in the early part of 2010 that hasn't shipped a product nor made a dollar yet (and likely won't ever). Unfortunately, I'm really not in the financial...

asked Feb 9 '11 at 15:14
Blank
Chris Cummings
108 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
7.52K Views
Examples of Manually Entering Payroll in QuickBooks for 1 person S-Corp

First, my apoligies if I'm on the wrong board. Please point me to the right site. I have a 1 person S-Corp in California and use Paychex for the payroll. I simply want to enter the data into...

asked Feb 15 '11 at 02:44
Blank
Dave
160 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
5.86K Views
How do I correctly document my initial investment and any ongoing investment in my S-Corp?

I'm starting a small business and have decided to form an S-Corp. Like many, my goal in forming an S-Corp is to avoid limitless personal liability and to take advantage of the (potential) tax...

asked Jan 30 '11 at 09:30
Blank
Mcohen75
157 points

14 Votes
1 Answers
3.08K Views
What is the single ONE book should every startup owner read about accounting?

What is the single most useful accounting book for the bootstrapped entrepreneur? It is my single largest flaw in my business education, I imagine a lot of people are in the same boat.

asked Jan 18 '11 at 11:34
Blank
Steve French
621 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.46K Views
Loan from directors to the company

How might you record a loan from directors to the company in the books? From my perspective this is an investment into the company which I hope will be refunded when the company makes...

asked Jan 5 '11 at 05:56
Blank
Romkyns
118 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3K Views
What is the best invoicing tool you have discovered?

We're running an online store of electronic devices, and we need to start creating invoices for our clients. What is the best invoicing tool you have discovered?

asked Dec 16 '10 at 12:09
Blank
Sd Reyes
156 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
1.89K Views
For tax purposes what is best currency to collect?

I have a canadian company selling to a European company who's currency is GBP. For tax purposes should I sell to them in Canadian dollars or should they pay me in pounds?

asked Nov 23 '10 at 02:00
Blank
Stacey
484 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.14K Views
Is an experienced accountant necessary for an s-corp formation?

I need to form an s-corp in Delaware. The corporation will be taking on angel funding as soon as it is formed. I have retained an attorney experienced in the formation & funding processes. The...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 09:13
Blank
Alex
23 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
5.19K Views
Claiming Laptop as LLC expense

I don't have a separate bank account for my LLC (I am sole owner). I am planning to buy a new laptop. How do I claim it as an LLC expense, come tax time? Related questions: What are pros/cons of...

asked Oct 27 '10 at 04:45
Blank
User5027
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.22K Views
Should I use online accounting software in Canada?

My part-time bookkeeper and I are currently reviewing Xero for accounting. I like the online aspect of being able to enter and view data online (my bookkeeper works from home). The cost seems...

asked Oct 27 '10 at 12:14
Blank
Jonotron
13 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
5.92K Views
Is it possible to delay customer invoices to the next financial year so I can save tax?

I'm operating a startup in its 1st year. This year's sales from consulting services is very good but the pipeline for next financial year is very very weak. My question is, legally, can I delay...

asked Oct 10 '10 at 06:43
Blank
User4737
26 points

10 Votes
4 Answers
3.69K Views
How much money do you spend on accountants (for a small startup)?

For small startups of 3 or less owners: How much money do you spend on accountants per year? What is a reasonable amount? do you recommend "doing it yourself"? does it matter the quality of the...

asked Sep 29 '10 at 06:14
Blank
Gush
53 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.88K Views
c-corp tech startup with expenses but no income - worth getting a bank account and accounting services for writeoffs?

I recently formed a c-corp and am looking for outside investment very soon. I'm paying out of pocket for startup expenses (office lease, office equipment, software licenses, etc). I will spend...

asked Oct 7 '10 at 02:07
Blank
User4683
28 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.45K Views
Book keeping - accounting question

Example You are a Service business, your customer pays you $100 for "Service X" via credit card. You charge the customer an additional 2% of total sale for paying via Creditcard. Hence the total...

asked Sep 17 '10 at 23:51
Blank
167 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
looking to start a CPA practice

I have an accounting degree from New Zealand (many years ago!) but have never used it as a qualified accountant here in California just as a business consultant. I want to get my CPA license and...

asked Jul 23 '10 at 08:07
Blank
Roginla
88 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.13K Views
Should I incorporate myself, use a high end law firm, or somewhere in the middle?

I am launching a startup (who isnt :) ) and while I am not planning on looking for outside funding, I'd like to leave the option on the table in the event that I catch a tiger by the tail (meaning...

asked Jun 19 '10 at 01:00
Blank
Ev Conrad
561 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.36K Views
How do you choose the base currency for online and mostly international sales?

We are about to launch a website offering products. My "gut" feeling is that a good proportion of our customers will be based in the US. We are currently based in the UK, though that is likely to...

asked May 16 '10 at 17:40
Blank
Morpheous
236 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.39K Views
Project Accounting Software for an Ad Agency?

I am working with a startup ad agency that has some very large clients for some large, complex projects. Many of their projects are subcontracted to other vendors and to crowdsourcing platforms,...

asked May 21 '10 at 07:16
Blank
Jim Shook
417 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
3.04K Views
Building an Effective "Chart of Accounts"

I am currently setting up Quickbooks for my manufacturing business. I have tons of historical data to enter. I added all my vendors and I am now at the point of creating my "Chart of Accounts."...

asked Jun 7 '10 at 22:38
Blank
Clint
695 points