Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.51K Views
Subscription payments for download software

We will be licensing 2 downloadable software products, both aimed at animation / game development professionals / studios (1 plugin, 1 SDK / library) where subscription pricing is not currently...

asked Jan 6 '10 at 02:10
Blank
Ian Wilson
88 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.11K Views
Finding business partner for almost finished software

I'm about 70% done with a Windows based application that my market research anticipates about 250,000 users. I would like to partner with a serial software/web entrepreneur who can setup the...

asked Jan 7 '10 at 09:22
Blank
Jeffrey Hicks
313 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
3.61K Views
Launch on a tiny budget

I have a product I'm developing on my own, with no other investors or partners. Via another project I'm developing, I have an IP Waiver and NDA that I can use for the project, I'm using my personal...

asked Dec 8 '09 at 03:08
Blank
Elie
4,692 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
System/Advice for LT Goals Yet Allow for Unplanned Opportunities

With the new year approaching, I am working on my 2010 goals and priorities. In the past I used Franklin Planners and Outlook. I also have a Blackberry. I continuously look for ways to help me stay...

asked Dec 8 '09 at 05:03
Blank
Starr Ed
948 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
5.5K Views
How to identify the problems to solve in an industry you know nothing about

I'm not sure how to word this but I'll do my best. I'm in the software business. I know this industry very well and am able to identify problems within this industry. However, there's a ton of...

asked Dec 8 '09 at 12:20
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.57K Views
Market Research having time but no money

I'm thinking in making my own "market research study" (if that applies) by no spending money but time. My resource: the web. The idea is make the most complete possible list about my possible...

asked Dec 10 '09 at 07:10
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
How to sell the rights of a software project to another developer/entrepreneur?

I have one product I started developing earlier this year which I haven't touched in several months now. At some point I began to realize that as a single developer, I'm simply not prepared to...

asked Dec 11 '09 at 08:36
Blank
Steve Wortham
287 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.58K Views
Keeping current with new technology and applications

What sites, blogs, etc do you use to keep up with new business technologies and applications that do not market by traditional methods? I am non-technical and realized there is so much out there....

asked Dec 13 '09 at 19:59
Blank
Starr Ed
948 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.33K Views
School Management software

What are the services that must be included in a school management software? How should one market it What is your take on the idea?

asked Dec 15 '09 at 05:14
Blank
User1934
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
Anybody with Foster Care/Adoption experience?

I'm developing a foster care application for fostering and adoption agencies, and I'm about 35-40% complete. I'm looking for someone who has experience of fostering agencies or organizations whose...

asked Dec 15 '09 at 12:17
Blank
Smart Company Software
1,190 points

4 Votes
11 Answers
7.13K Views
.NET vs J2EE/JAVA vs PHP

We are currently building a new social networking platform, and I was wondering everyone's opinion was on what base to build it on. I know this is an age-old debate between .NET and PHP, just...

asked Dec 17 '09 at 05:29
Blank
Sthomps
46 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
3.69K Views
What web tools are key to your bootstrapped startup?

We're very happy with the tools we're using, but always open to new ideas. Anything you have that you're particulary proud of or happy with? Our arsenal includes many of the usual...

asked Dec 17 '09 at 06:54
Blank
Joseph Fung
1,542 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.84K Views
Looking for open source social network softwares to build a site like this one?

I am considering building a social network similar to this one and startups.com but for a different market. I am somewhat familiar with StackOverflow but looking for a platform that gives me more...

asked Nov 23 '09 at 09:06
Blank
Arman Arami
399 points

19 Votes
9 Answers
4.36K Views
Do I launch website now or wait for my application to be v1.0?

I'm in the process of developing a desktop application and I expect the first version to be finished by mid-march 2010. I have purchased the domain name and I'm very happy with the one I've got. My...

asked Nov 23 '09 at 11:27
Blank
Smart Company Software
1,190 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
1.91K Views
Resellers or Affliates?

What should I consider first, and why? Setting up a Reseller Program for my software product. or Setting up an Affiliate Network for my software product.

asked Nov 24 '09 at 16:47
Blank
Lkessler
1,471 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.51K Views
Is there a good service for managing simple email lists

I have a select set of customers that I would to provide info to on a regular basis via email. I could just create a email alias in outlook but then I would have to manage any subscriptions or...

asked Nov 25 '09 at 08:14
Blank
Dane
1,866 points

-1 Votes
3 Answers
1.69K Views
View and Markup Options?

Greetings, I am looking for options on reasonably priced (or free / open source) view and markup software that can be integrated into an existing web based, product development software. I know...

asked Nov 27 '09 at 16:03
Blank
Jz199
59 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.64K Views
Next Step for My Product / Business? Minimum Viable Product

I have created a minimum viable product that I'd like to turn into a business. I have used pay per click advertising to get: 10ish free subscribers Then 2 paid subscribers It is a monthly...

asked Nov 28 '09 at 12:20
Blank
Dog On
308 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
3.79K Views
what should be in a software license/terms of service/end user license agreement?

I suppose I should find a decent attorney for this, but I'd like to see if I can find some "free" resources first. My company is about to release a software product (actually bundled together...

asked Dec 1 '09 at 02:48
Blank
Tim J
8,346 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
4.4K Views
Strategy for pricing a desktop application

I'm trying to figure out how to price a desktop application that I'm currently developing. I have read a few articles on the subject, but I'm unable to come up with a clear path. A bit of...

asked Dec 1 '09 at 11:17
Blank
Smart Company Software
1,190 points