Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
Feature fatigue

Is it just me or is there such a "diagnoses" as "feature fatigue"? On more than one occasions I noticed that when I am about 75% though new feature development I am starting to stall and my...

asked May 7 '10 at 03:44
Blank
Usabilitest
1,698 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.83K Views
What is a disruptive strategy for a start up?

Can anyone explain to me what a disruptive strategy is for a start up company in software. Apparently launching a disruptive strategy gives a start up a higher chance of success according to...

asked May 13 '10 at 03:25
Blank
Stacey
484 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.23K Views
Is professional indemnity insurance worth it for a software company?

This may be a silly question, and as you can see from the other question I recently asked, I'm trying to uncover the mystery about various types of insurance here in the UK, and the US as well....

asked May 14 '10 at 18:43
Blank
Nbeecroft
515 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.52K Views
CRM/support software recommendations?

Up until very recently we were doing all support through our support e-mail address. However, as the business grows, it is getting harder and harder to follow through support requests and dispatch...

asked Mar 30 '10 at 05:07
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.14K Views
Can an innovative data visualization be patented or protected in some way?

I'm working on developing a product in the US with many potential competitors. None of the current products deals very well with analysis once the data is collected. I have several unexplored data...

asked Apr 5 '10 at 15:39
Blank
Kpierce8
113 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.76K Views
When should we start getting worried? (selling software)

Assume the following situation: You are small Developing a product for a niche market Your product is better than others (I know it's not, but for the sake of argument let's say it's ) No...

asked Apr 11 '10 at 03:22
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.91K Views
Do you think jQuery will ever become a startup: making money with software libraries

Do you think they are making money out of jQuery javascript library? It seems it gets a lot of efforts in doing something like jQuery, what's the catch? More generally speaking, if someone decide...

asked Apr 14 '10 at 06:52
Blank
Marco Demaio
175 points

8 Votes
10 Answers
5.39K Views
Would a 1-man operation be better with downloadable or Saas model software?

If you are a 1-man show (to begin with, and want to stay small), would you be better suited to selling downloadable software or would a hosted version be more idea? With hosted, you don't have to...

asked Mar 11 '10 at 10:19
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.57K Views
Annual Maintenance Payments

We are planning on introducing an annual maintenance fee for a new enterprise-level product we will soon be launching. How do you handle when the payments are to be made? For example, let's say a...

asked Mar 12 '10 at 23:28
Blank
Cocowalla
327 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.39K Views
should I register the product's name (a commercial software)?

EDIT I could formulate my question differently... Seen that this is a startup forum, there may be a possibility that someone else has written and sold a commercial software (I've got nearly 200...

asked Mar 13 '10 at 07:25
Blank
Tristan St.
180 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.89K Views
Any startups in software service industry?

Here, I've seen almost all the discussions are related to startups offering some kind of a product. It looks like a de-facto standard when anyone talks about a startup on this forum. Is there...

asked Mar 23 '10 at 18:13
Blank
Sandeep Satavlekar
325 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.29K Views
What exactly is a prototype , mockup and paper prototype

I have my idea ready and want to build it immediately and pitch to investors but people have been asking me to build a prototype, some ask me to build a mockup or deck or working model or some ask...

asked Mar 25 '10 at 08:34
Blank
Syed
445 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.38K Views
How do you discourage piracy of your software or IP?

We're reviewing/exploring anti-piracy measures for a new software product. There is a desktop and a web component. What tactics are you using to prevent/discourage piracy of your software and IP?

asked Feb 19 '10 at 08:08
Blank
Keith De Long
5,091 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.66K Views
How is the software libraries market?

Hello all Does any one here know or working in the software libraries market? Developing network stacks, helpers, convertors, components and such?

asked Feb 21 '10 at 07:50
Blank
Meir
238 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.2K Views
Topic suggestions for software developer's conference?

I help book topic sessions for the annual Software Industry Conference which will be held this year in Dallas, TX. The conference targets both beginner and experienced Micro ISVs, and internet...

asked Feb 22 '10 at 12:46
Blank
Gary E
12,510 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.91K Views
Free Customers Management Software

Free Customers Management Software for contacts and leads management needed.

asked Feb 22 '10 at 16:51
Blank
User2630
8 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
Are there any existing Business Intelligence solutions that are free or inexpensive?

Are there any existing Business Intelligence solutions that are free or inexpensive? For 1-3 users?

asked Feb 23 '10 at 09:14
Blank
Danny
113 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.38K Views
What software or development tools do you use to create and maintain your website?

I'm looking for more great software tools (than the ones listed below that I already use) to not only create and run a website, but to verify and maintain it. All our websites run on Unix servers...

asked Feb 26 '10 at 15:42
Blank
Gary E
12,510 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.65K Views
Does it hurt to release often?

I'm a big believer of "release early, release often" but what's the limit? Our software Traditional - Desktop software We are new but already got many clients Updates requires about 15-30...

asked Feb 5 '10 at 06:57
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
How to interrupt my potential customers with marketing campaign?

I have a list of potential customers who I must 'interrupt' in order to get their attention. I have a website where they can join a mailing list, but for one reason or another my potential...

asked Feb 11 '10 at 16:25
Blank
Smart Company Software
1,190 points