Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.42K Views
Is there such a thing as Privacy Insurance (for storing SSN/EINs)?

Part of my service includes storing social security numbers (SSNs) and employer identification numbers (EINs). I went through the proper protocol of setting up a separate server to store them,...

asked Feb 16 '10 at 13:37
Blank
Yasmine
206 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.82K Views
Best way to tell users to upgrade from lite version to full version in a desktop app

We have a lite version of our desktop software and many features have been removed in this version. What's the best way to tell people we have those features but they can't access because it's the...

asked Feb 17 '10 at 20:43
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.67K Views
Looking for Guidance in running business development arm of a startup

I'm looking to join a very small company (5 employees) and run all of business development/sales and marketing. My professional experience lies in 8 years of Sales in the online media and...

asked Feb 18 '10 at 10:35
Blank
Danny
113 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.4K Views
How to do marketing for generic software products?

I would like to know how to market products that are very flexible and are not attached to a particular business niche. For example, Spreasheet software: You can do almost anything with it......

asked Jan 22 '10 at 04:47
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.71K Views
How to hookup with possible partners?

I have always been an interested is starting and running my own business. I have built small websites basically for the fun of it, never intending them to get large. I run my own company now but my...

asked Jan 23 '10 at 05:41
Blank
Aaron
124 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.65K Views
Where do business people with fat checkbooks "live" and hangout?

We have identified specific industries that we market our software product, but in general that would be any company that is developing software for sale and/or internal use. Also recognize that...

asked Jan 23 '10 at 12:21
Blank
Poopsky
195 points

16 Votes
13 Answers
4.62K Views
Lite Version or Trial?

Our product (desktop software, not SaaS ) price is about $1000. Shall we cut features and release a free lite version or just a trial with all features for a limited time? I see that lite version...

asked Jan 23 '10 at 19:52
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
4.05K Views
How long of a closed-beta is enough?

We have developed a product offered as SaaS, that helps businesses to manage their entire business online (details at www.trakeze.com). We have been running a nice long (more than 6 months)...

asked Jan 24 '10 at 04:45
Blank
Puneet Gangal
281 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
Is there a low-mid market for java?

When looking at forum/community software and ecommerce, it seems java doesn't really have a low-mid market? When I say low to mid market, I mean something like $299-1999. Is there a reason for that?

asked Jan 30 '10 at 09:48
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.54K Views
To Build or To Mockup?

I have a desire to build a software package in a niche area that already has some established competing products. I believe my Feature Set and ease of use could propel me well in the market. Most...

asked Feb 1 '10 at 16:15
Blank
Aaron
124 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.09K Views
What is your upgrade policy for a new release?

For a desktop business application, what should the upgrade policy be? Should upgrades be free? 50% discount? What if they just bought the old version last month?

asked Feb 2 '10 at 11:10
Blank
Steve Hanov
596 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.03K Views
Java and .net software market, what are the differences?

If one was to write a web application (commercial), what differences market wise is there between the java world and .net? Say I build an ecommerce application, would I be locking myself into a...

asked Jan 8 '10 at 04:40
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.91K Views
Would like some feedback on JIRA, Intervals, Unfundle, and other bug/issue tracking packaged

I would like to get your opinion on bug/issue tracking packages. In my last software dev company we used JIRA with one of the flavors of Subversion. That was in 2007, so a lot has changed since...

asked Jan 13 '10 at 06:07
Blank
Apollo Sinkevicius
3,323 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.96K Views
How do I broach the idea of me owning the rights to software when a company is paying me to write it

I am working on a web application that is going into beta test next week for safety engineers, but the company that is paying for it is safety engineers. Ideally, if I had the ownership of the code...

asked Jan 16 '10 at 16:53
Blank
James Black
2,642 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.22K Views
Software startups - should I deploy a PAD file?

A PAD file is a file that describes your application and your business. You can host it on your website and submit it (example ) to download sites and software directories that can then index and...

asked Jan 19 '10 at 05:22
Blank
Dan Gravell
341 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
6.95K Views
I created a software product. How and where do I promote it?

So I had an itch to scratch, and out came my startup. Granted it's a simple product, but what it does it does well. Now that it's launched and available for purchase, I'm at a loss for where to...

asked Jan 20 '10 at 03:23
Blank
Jeff Paquette
161 points

3 Votes
8 Answers
3.01K Views
Giving away free licences to universities, charities and open source projects

How do you feel about giving away free licenses (original price: $2000 ) to universities, charities and open source projects of your software to spread the word? Is it a good idea? Shall we...

asked Dec 20 '09 at 00:13
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
3.82K Views
How to sell Enterprise software

Some questions related to the selling of Enterprise Software.. It seems the best way to sell to Enterprise companies is to build a solution the customer as a consultant(ie have them pay for...

asked Dec 23 '09 at 01:25
Blank
Mathaix
510 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.34K Views
Launching Enterprise Software

The enterprise software business is unique. What steps would you take for launching your enterprise software once it is ready? Thanks. Edit: Lets use targeting the manufacturing industry...

asked Dec 23 '09 at 05:23
Blank
Big Tuna
349 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
Releasing software in different countries

I'm writing a software application that will be used by fostering and adoption agencies/organizations that I plan to sell in English speaking countries (at first). The application is a desktop...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 13:58
Blank
Smart Company Software
1,190 points