Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.65K Views
Selling through VARs and Systems Integrators

We're developing an extension to a commercial open source enterprise software product. Most customers of the product we're extending buy it trough one of its system integration partners. To reach...

asked Aug 26 '10 at 05:33
Blank
Jonas H.
108 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
Advice to become a technical founder

My aspiration in life is to become a entrepreneur and because of my background (4 years as a software developer) I figure I would go best if I start out as a technical founder at a start up. I...

asked Aug 30 '10 at 23:12
Blank
Dont Judge Those Who Try And Fail
8 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.32K Views
Software development team troubleshooter/auditor. What do you think?

I have an idea for a business and would like some feedback. The other day I was thinking about software development teams and how they function, the things they do right and the things they do...

asked Sep 2 '10 at 12:12
Blank
Smart Company Software
1,190 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.92K Views
How to launch software: Hollywood launch or Gmail approach?

As far as I know, there are two recognized way to launch Software: Hollywood launch 1) Teaser 2) Preview 3) Launch Gmail Approach 1) Few invites 2) Beta 3) Buzz and Marketing 4)...

asked Sep 22 '10 at 18:19
Blank
Systempuntoout
121 points

6 Votes
8 Answers
6.62K Views
CMS for online magazine startup?

I want to start an online magazine website and I'd like to know what platform to use. Something like Wordpress, Drupal, and other CMS systems, any recommendations?

asked Sep 22 '10 at 23:54
Blank
Alexandru Trandafir Catalin
157 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
If one sells ecommerce software, do you HAVE to be PCI compliant at this point?

If one sells ecommerce software, do you HAVE to be PCI compliant at this point? I read it costs upwards of 40K to get your ecomm software PCI compliant. And some of the requirements have things...

asked Jul 22 '10 at 03:40
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.34K Views
How to protect your digital assets for a server based software when your software is installed within a third party Data centre

We have developed a software which is server installable and is accessed by browser. We have just got our first large client which wants to use it, but wants to install it within their data center,...

asked Jul 28 '10 at 17:39
Blank
Shabda
159 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
3rd Party Merchant Services

I'm looking for a 3rd party payment handling site to sell my software. Currently I have shortlisted Avangate (www.avangate.com) and Fastspring (www.fastspring.com). Fastspring seems to have the...

asked Jul 31 '10 at 00:26
Blank
Tanvir Chowdhury
165 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
PA-DSS compliance is a major roadblock for ecommerce startups, what to do?

PA-DSS certification costs over 40K to get. Any ecommerce application that is distrubuted that handles CC transactions has to get this certification. Some of the rules are 'code reviews', which...

asked Aug 13 '10 at 23:19
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.47K Views
How does a company (squarespace) get 40million in minority investment when its revenue is say 5 million?

If a company (squarespace) is doing around 5-8million, how could they possible get a minority investment of almost 40 million? Minority to me means less than 50%, so that would put the companies...

asked Aug 19 '10 at 04:07
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.5K Views
How to research about an application before doing it?

I am planning to make an application to digitalize and organize documents a company, or forum, etc may have. The first thing that came to my mind was about how i should look around for possible...

asked Aug 20 '10 at 16:18
Blank
Prix
133 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.36K Views
Looking to create a video demo of software; Tool suggestions?

I used MS free development tool (sorry forgot the name and not on the computer where I did it) and the video was just old and not that good. I'm not good at the whole video thing but would really...

asked Jun 10 '10 at 13:55
Blank
John Bogrand
2,210 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.42K Views
Auto uninstall demo

Let say I have a Demo and Full versions of my software. Demo is like a Full but with some missing functionality. Someone installs Demo, try it and decides to purchase Full version. He downloads it...

asked Jun 24 '10 at 21:46
Blank
Ross
2,288 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
How to acquire new customers/startups?

I’m given a task to expand our Product Engineering services to US, UK & EMEA markets and identify new customers/startups who would like to build new products/software. We do have proven track...

asked Jul 2 '10 at 03:11
Blank
Pavan M
31 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.3K Views
How to find short term sales for enterprise software?

I understand enterprise software to large companies is a long sales cycle. What is the first step in finding some short term revenue while we wait for the long term sales to come to fruitation?

asked May 18 '10 at 06:31
Blank
Stacey
484 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.41K Views
Project Accounting Software for an Ad Agency?

I am working with a startup ad agency that has some very large clients for some large, complex projects. Many of their projects are subcontracted to other vendors and to crowdsourcing platforms,...

asked May 21 '10 at 07:16
Blank
Jim Shook
417 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.23K Views
What are the costs and tax implications of hiring an independent contractor?

Our company is currently thinking about hiring an independent contractor to expand our software product. I was wondering what the costs (insurance etc...) and tax implications of this might be if...

asked May 25 '10 at 23:44
Blank
Nbeecroft
515 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Reseller Discounts for Annual Maintenance?

We offer our resellers (ones that actively go out and sell to customers) a 25% discount on software licenses. We have just introduced an annual maintenance fee, at 20% of current list price at the...

asked Jun 4 '10 at 18:01
Blank
Cocowalla
327 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.8K Views
How do you know your product or service is market ready?

Is there a checklist or some stats that anyone has used that gives a comfort level to getting to a minimum valid product? I'm a lone startup ISV and find that I need to take extra effort to...

asked Jun 5 '10 at 00:42
Blank
John Bogrand
2,210 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.07K Views
First steps to starting an LLC?

I would like to get advice from others on what steps I should take before starting an LLC. I want to offer software development services through my company, and just want some pointers on things I...

asked Apr 26 '10 at 10:44
Blank
Thomas
116 points