Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

4 Votes
3 Answers
5.52K Views
Business model for a White-labelled service

I've been asked by a client to create a White-label service similar to an existing product I have. The service will have the client's logo on it. The customers they bring to the service wouldn't be...

asked Nov 24 '10 at 07:00
Blank
Soitgoes
23 points

14 Votes
1 Answers
3.55K Views
How much should we charge for an IT job?

The scenario We just got our very first medium/large size client. They are opening a new company which operates around a web application that will be entirely developed and maintained by us. We...

asked Nov 25 '10 at 03:16
Blank
Marco
173 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
How many paid users during, near and after the trial period

I just started selling my software and I wanted to know what is your average percentage of paid subscribers for each week during/after a 30 day trial period. Example: For 100 users who have paid...

asked Nov 25 '10 at 19:40
Blank
Tom
23 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.54K Views
How to market web based beauty salon management software in UK?

I'm looking for new ways to market our product, a web based software targeted primarily at spas, hair & beauty salons (and could be used by dentists or other small appointment-based businesses)...

asked Nov 26 '10 at 08:53
Blank
Martynas
18 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.14K Views
Online marketing software?

I know little (okay, nothing) in marketing... I have the checklist from Bob Walsh (of 47 hats) as to what steps to take next with respect to targeting my prospective clientele and building out a...

asked Nov 6 '10 at 11:21
Blank
Igorek
886 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.85K Views
Is building a web appliation from scratch cost-effective?

I am trying to find the most cost effective approach to building a web application based in PHP. I want to know if using a PHP Framework such as, Social Engine would be best to avoid having to...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 09:26
Blank
Alex
40 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.69K Views
Start-up IP dispute in Canadian Corp

I'm currently in an intellectual property dispute over software I developed in a new start-up (Canadian corp). It was written under the false pretense that I would have 25% ownership of the...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 09:27
Blank
Adrian Schneider
456 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.83K Views
Looking for uncompleted software projects

I have a bit of spare time at the moment and was thinking of starting a new project or picking up someone else's uncompleted project. In relation to the latter, is there a marketplace for this...

asked Nov 18 '10 at 00:16
Blank
Liam
121 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.45K Views
Mention of LGPL/MIT source code in a commercial software

My commercial software is using some code source licensed under LGPL or MIT. How and where should I mention this? Is it mandatory?

asked Nov 4 '10 at 21:29
Blank
Tom
23 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
4.79K Views
I am setting up a European Branch/Subsidary of a US based Software company. What is the best way to go for this?

Is anybody able to give some advice on: How would I go about setting up a European branch/subsidiary of this company? CHOICE OF ENTITY: Should I register as a branch or subsidiary? LOCATION: What...

asked Oct 10 '10 at 22:36
Blank
Juergen Heinrich Rohr
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
ecommerce and pci pa-dss, is it legal to sell/distribute with out it? many o/s carts are not certified

There are many open source shopping carts that don't have any PCI compliance certification. Is it legal to sell/distribute ecommerce related software that isn't compliant? It makes no sense,...

asked Oct 14 '10 at 23:43
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.66K Views
How did Magento create an commercial Enterprise version when magento is open source?

It's interesting how an open source product has a commercial version, nice business strategy to get market penetration! How did Magento create an commercial Enterprise version when magento is open...

asked Oct 19 '10 at 01:04
Blank
Blankman
131 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.75K Views
Why are so few commercial products (sold, downloadable software) built on ruby on rails?

Is there a reason why there are so few commercial products that are build using Ruby on Rails? Is there market so small where it doesn't make sense? Is deployment an issue? Update I'm referring...

asked Oct 20 '10 at 03:40
Blank
Blankman
131 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.54K Views
What does it mean to 'Tell a Story'?

What exactly do these startup mentors mean when they say 'Tell a good story'?

asked Oct 20 '10 at 06:49
Blank
Blankman
131 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.73K Views
An idea to implement R&D in a software services startup

I have seen that working in a fledgling software services firm as a programmer entails a lot (in fact, all) of the time being spent working on meeting client specs and requirements on their...

asked Oct 21 '10 at 03:54
Blank
Fenderplayer
21 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.32K Views
What do you use/do to stay in touch with business partners that are in a different geographical location?

I'm looking for a good way to stay in touch with the hosts of my Momtrepreneur Exchanges around the country. There's a host in each of our 23 cities so far. It's a pile of people in different time...

asked Oct 22 '10 at 02:53
Blank
Jill
26 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.94K Views
Do I need a business partner?

My first post here, finally decided to stop reading and start asking :) Apologies for being long-winded, but want to make sure I explain myself. I'm a tech-guy myself, have been...

asked Sep 24 '10 at 08:20
Blank
Igorek
886 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
Have you had any good experiences with training software?

There is a sea of training software out there. Many don't have open demos. I'm trying to avoid sales pitches from dozens of companies to demo their software. I'm looking for a good lead or two from...

asked Oct 1 '10 at 04:53
Blank
Todd
16 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.91K Views
Fair equity/profit split when taking on a partner?

I am about to take on a partner to develop a software prototype I built almost a year ago and I need some guidance on deciding equity/profit split. I know out of past experience that I cannot...

asked Oct 5 '10 at 01:16
Blank
Pate
306 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
How do I convince a client to use a computerised accounting system?

This is marketing question but don't know where to ask it. My possible client is relying in traditional manual accounting system. I want to convince him to use acomputerised accounting system. As...

asked Oct 6 '10 at 07:05
Blank
Kool Kabin
106 points