Website Questions

Setting up a website is a key step in starting a new business and in today's world, an effective web presence is a vital marketing tool.

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.85K Views
Where to find wikimedia designer?

Our site has a growing wiki that is based on wikimedia. I'm looking for people with experience designing the interface, custom skin, etc How do I go to find one?

asked Dec 16 '09 at 17:15
Blank
Baraider
36 points

3 Votes
9 Answers
3.85K Views
Looking for a wordpress template for a website?

I am looking for a WordPress template to use specifically for purposes of building a website for a consulting firm. Not a blog. Most of the templates I find are designed for blogs. Do you guys know...

asked Dec 17 '09 at 13:10
Blank
Arman Arami
399 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
2.56K Views
Should I open up my app's data so anyone can use it?

I've built a site for climbers - a worldwide, user editable guidebook for climbers. Recently, I've been toying with the idea of making all of the data that has been submitted to my site open...

asked Nov 21 '09 at 02:40
Blank
Codebeef
148 points

19 Votes
9 Answers
4.36K Views
Do I launch website now or wait for my application to be v1.0?

I'm in the process of developing a desktop application and I expect the first version to be finished by mid-march 2010. I have purchased the domain name and I'm very happy with the one I've got. My...

asked Nov 23 '09 at 11:27
Blank
Smart Company Software
1,190 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
4.3K Views
What is the best web site chat provider to use?

I want to add a chat capability to my web site. Wondering recommendations from folks. Looking for something relatively inexpensive and relatively easy to implement but want it to be functional....

asked Nov 25 '09 at 00:59
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.08K Views
Do I need a company website or just product websites?

I'm a husband and father and have a full time job. I'm developing a few web apps in my very little bit of spare time. I'm pretty sure I should have a website dedicated to each app. I want to keep...

asked Dec 1 '09 at 03:29
Blank
Coder Dennis
691 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.7K Views
Are you required to claim ownership of the site?

Are you required to claim ownership of the site by your company in the footer or the about page? You know something like "onstartups.com is owned by Onstartups, LLC" or "Copyright: Onstartups,...

asked Nov 8 '09 at 03:22
Blank
User1376
9 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.67K Views
What can I learn about internet business from these charts?

Out of curiosity I compared traffic of various social networks and top portals, got two interesting charts...

asked Nov 8 '09 at 19:33
Blank
Arpit Tambi
1,050 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.9K Views
Website launch strategy with

My partner and I would like to lunch a new marketplace for products that, for obvious reasons, we can't disclose at this point. We don't have any patent or proprietary IP to raise the entrance...

asked Nov 13 '09 at 19:11
Blank
Gera
91 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.76K Views
Best resources for learning Wordpress?

I am in the process of (re)learning Wordpress. General searches return a plethora of resources for learning, but it's difficult to cut through the clutter. What resources do folks here...

asked Nov 14 '09 at 06:23
Blank
Joe
298 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.62K Views
Legal question + website copy protection?

My work partner and I have just finished to built a new community website about sport. We also have created a Private Limited Company in UK (with the help of an accountant). We both don't know...

asked Nov 18 '09 at 23:19
Blank
Fabrice
23 points

18 Votes
12 Answers
18.6K Views
Domain names with a hyphen, good or bad idea?

I'm looking for a domain name for my new project and one of the variants is available but has a hyphen between the two words. The non hyphenated variant is registered in the cayman islands. Are...

asked Nov 19 '09 at 12:34
Blank
Sam Saffron
432 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Strategies for finding potential customers for a tiny app

Background : I used to work for a software consulting firm. For obvious reasons, one thing that was critical to both our company and our customers was keeping track of the time spent on specific...

asked Nov 19 '09 at 13:50
Blank
Lyudmil
111 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
3.46K Views
Resources for creating an effective landing page

What are your favorite websites for learning about or building effective landing pages for online advertising? How should these pages relate to your main site? I'm a software programming geek that...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 07:30
Blank
D Thrasher
894 points

12 Votes
16 Answers
7.99K Views
Best way to get a good website for a small business

My partner and I are C++ developers, not web/CMS developers and we need a decent site for our company and product launch. I have been dabbling with wordpress and Drupal, but the results are...

asked Oct 29 '09 at 01:14
Blank
Tim J
8,346 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
9.2K Views
How many ecommerce websites are out there?

Our company is providing a service to ecommerce websites, and we're struggling to find reliable stats on how large our potential base is. Does anyone know where to obtain a reasonable estimation...

asked Oct 30 '09 at 16:51
Blank
Ar Vee
143 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
3.07K Views
How would you market your service to a start-up?

I run a web solutions business and have helped start-ups implement their web strategies. Although, at this point it is pertinent for me to proactively approach new start-ups that are cash-rich and...

asked Oct 31 '09 at 00:16
Blank
Dhaval Doshi
29 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.73K Views
Heard of Any Good Social Media Business Growth Stories?

I'm curious if anyone has any examples to share of local businesses that have grown using social media alone. Good examples: Real Estate Agent facebook...

asked Nov 4 '09 at 12:34
Blank
Adam
446 points

0 Votes
6 Answers
3.12K Views
Suggest a basic, cheap CMS or templating engine

I run a software company selling downloadable software. Currently my site is written entirely in HTML, using a text editor. I upload it by FTP. The chief problem I have identified with this...

asked Nov 5 '09 at 20:28
Blank
Dan Gravell
341 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
2.83K Views
Why is startups.com so freakily similar to this site?

Or it's the other way around?

asked Nov 6 '09 at 05:28
Blank
Oleg Kokorin
459 points