Investment Questions

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.31K Views
On a Startup, do you track your time as an investment?

I am starting a small venture to attack a niche. It might turn in something bigger, but it all depends on the trend that I am following. I will put some money down to hire a sales rep, but most...

asked Apr 24 '11 at 02:18
Blank
Geo
268 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Is it necessary for a co-founder to invest money when starting a startup?

Is there a requirement for such stuff where a co-founder actually have to invest a proportional amount of money when setting up their startup as a business/company? What if they just come with...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 12:35
Blank
Equino X
111 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.22K Views
How much equity am I worth?

I had a problem that required a database solution. I designed the concept of the database and over a 2 year period developed a crude system that worked. In trying to find help with the...

asked Apr 17 '11 at 11:43
Blank
Paul
11 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.59K Views
Where can I find businesses for sale?

I would like to buy a small business. Are there any sites that collects businesses that are for sale? I am asking about this in a general way, because that produces answers, which are relevant for...

asked Mar 27 '11 at 05:26
Blank
David
1,567 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.42K Views
Which VC firms are in the New England (East Coast) area?

Are most technology based venture capital firms headquartered in California or are there also plenty of venture capital firms in the New England area (New York, Boston, etc)?

asked Mar 17 '11 at 06:20
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.42K Views
Who uses "Self-Directed" Retirement Accounts to fund start-ups?

In the United States a retirement account like a 401K or an IRA can be incorporated as a "self-directed" account. A self-direct account provides you check-book control over your retirement account....

asked Mar 22 '11 at 13:30
Blank
Joseph Barisonzi
12,141 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.94K Views
How do I classify money I put into my own business for tax purposes?

S-Corp. I am currently the only shareholder. Doing taxes for my first year. How do I properly account for money I've put into the business both in my accounting system, and for tax purposes? Is it...

asked Mar 8 '11 at 13:09
Blank
Jefflunt
113 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.91K Views
How do you account for your time when asked how much has been invested in the company so far?

A potential investor is asking us to account for our own (so far unpaid) time when evaluating the amount of money invested in the company to date. How do we account for it - it's not like we've...

asked Feb 23 '11 at 13:34
Blank
Blueberryfields
426 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.9K Views
What is the best method for me to invest money into my own startup?

All of the current investors in the startup are also employees, and we're investing equal amounts of money into the company. What is the best vehicle for this type of investment, where ownership in...

asked Feb 24 '11 at 05:31
Blank
Blueberryfields
426 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
4.01K Views
Are loans from Individuals common for startups? Is it a good way to grow?

I am the owner of a website that distributes digital content (photo/ footage/ music) for the film, interactive and media industries. We launched four years ago and are among the market leaders in...

asked Feb 25 '11 at 15:34
Blank
User8084
14 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.93K Views
I want to start an investment club

Ok gang, your input will be greatly appreciated here. I have convinced 4 of my friends and relatives to join me in founding an investment club ( a la private equity or VC) the idea is very simple:...

asked Feb 13 '11 at 21:14
Blank
User7566
21 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
5.81K Views
How do I correctly document my initial investment and any ongoing investment in my S-Corp?

I'm starting a small business and have decided to form an S-Corp. Like many, my goal in forming an S-Corp is to avoid limitless personal liability and to take advantage of the (potential) tax...

asked Jan 30 '11 at 09:30
Blank
Mcohen75
157 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
4.49K Views
Examples of companies that made it big without outside investment?

We all know the legendary companies that became huge as a result of investors (both angels & VCs) but are there good examples of successful companies that took off simply on funding from the...

asked Jan 5 '11 at 01:16
Blank
Henry The Hengineer
4,316 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
3.67K Views
Compensation for co-founders and employees in a startup

In my earlier venture attempts, the scenario was something like 3 guys, each of whom would get 33.3%. I found out soon that this was silly because as soon as one of us lost interest, he could do...

asked Jan 8 '11 at 03:38
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.61K Views
A con-artist or an investor

I have two potential investors: 1) My uncle - a trusted and wealthy family member and 2) "M.S." an unknown person that approached me after having heard my pitch and was "instantly enamored with my...

asked Dec 16 '10 at 14:47
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.7K Views
Raising seed capital without too much dilution

My company is in the process of raising additional capital for my semi start up website. Currently we are in a beta testing phase with the intent of testing the functionality of the site on a...

asked Dec 24 '10 at 01:59
Blank
Robert Dolle
118 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.26K Views
Shared investment platforms

I'm very excited to see this beta version of the stackexchange platform! I just had a question I'm sure you guys can answer : I'd like to invest a percentage of my money every month in startup...

asked Dec 7 '10 at 08:37
Blank
Julien
138 points

9 Votes
4 Answers
4.75K Views
Advisable amount of equity to part with during seed funding

What is the advisable range of the amount of equity to part with during seed funding? If I give too much then I risk becoming an employee at my own company during a later round. Worse yet I risk...

asked Dec 8 '10 at 09:19
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.55K Views
In seed funding, can the investment come from multiple sources?

I have two investors that appear interested in my concept. I am going to speak to one tomorrow. I intend to disclose to him that I will also be speaking with another investor very soon. If possible...

asked Dec 14 '10 at 13:20
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.66K Views
Scenario: naive entrepreneur approached by angel investor

I am an aerospace engineer. On a whim I went to an entrepreneurial conference at the university that is in my town. And then, on a whim, at the evening pitch session, I pitched some hair-brained...

asked Nov 17 '10 at 15:48
Blank
John Berryman
388 points