USA Questions

7 Votes
1 Answers
2.2K Views
Which country to incorporate web startup in?

If we have a web startup originally targetting users from country A, but the majority of users end up to be from America, is it sufficient to have the company incorporated in country...

asked Mar 3 '13 at 19:30
Blank
Nyxynyx
193 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Legal Status of USA/UK Start up forming

I and a partner wish to set up a company. One of us lives in the UK and the other in the USA. We both want to make sure we are one legal entity so we can sell shares, or if the start-up was bought...

asked Feb 15 '13 at 21:46
Blank
Slappybag
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.79K Views
EIN after conversion from LLC to c-corp

We converted (created new entity then merged) from an LLC to a c-corp. The new c-corp has a different EIN than the LLC. Do we need to notify/update our employees, clients and vendors about the new...

asked Feb 18 '13 at 06:23
Blank
Aaron
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.65K Views
Finder's Fees and SEC regulations

I've been advised on multiple occasions that agreeing to a finder's fee as a percentage of capital raised is illegal in the United States, unless the "finder" is a licensed broker-dealer. Despite...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 02:33
Blank
Channel72
106 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
Single-member LLC and filling out tax forms for advertisers who pay me

I have accounts with various advertisers and affiliate companies - let's just say Amazon Affiliates for the purposes of this discussion - and I've now registered a single-member LLC. During the...

asked Feb 8 '13 at 11:05
Blank
Artem Russakovskii
106 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
Get foreign investment (US VCs and Angels) for startup in Europe

We are a startup in Europe. (A Saas music web app + mobile app and we are now exiting from stealth mode.) I wonder how to reach US Venture Capitalists and Angels from Europe. We are incorporating...

asked Jan 20 '13 at 18:49
Blank
Mike
113 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.2K Views
Acquiring Tax ID Number

We just got filed as an official LLC in CT and were wondering how we get our Tax ID number(EIN). We would like to open a bank account for the company and assume we need that to open one.

asked Jan 2 '13 at 06:40
Blank
Matt Clark
135 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.4K Views
How do I pick a bank for my LLC (USA)?

I want to open a business bank account for my LLC to keep my finances separate. How, in general, should I go about shopping for a bank account? Relatedly, are there any particular banks that excel...

asked Jan 12 '13 at 14:04
Blank
Max
108 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
Accounting method for software business

I'm nearly complete and preparing to launch my business. However, I've noticed that taxes aren't as simple as everyone makes them out to be. I'm mostly confused about cash vs accrual accounting for...

asked Dec 17 '12 at 16:00
Blank
Asdaf3wq
18 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
Company in US wants to hire a UK worker

We are a extremely small start up, just starting out and we need to hire our first marketer. The wages are low, but the work is fun. We put out an ad and many people have come back to us, but we...

asked Dec 12 '12 at 04:17
Blank
Spoiled Techie.Com
102 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
Incorporated in US but expenses in another country?

I'm forming a US C corporation in Delaware. Paid the service fees to a lawyer and everything's ready to be filed. My goals are very simple as: Having a US presence for user credibility, Opening...

asked Nov 20 '12 at 17:07
Blank
Kavoir.Com
129 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
UK tax on US software company

This was partially addressed in another question, International tax on digital products for a US company, however, I'm still unclear as to what I need to do if the UK removes this threshold next...

asked Nov 16 '12 at 10:41
Blank
Geoff M
115 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
An LLC working in multiple states

I recently filed my company as an LLC expecting to get some small jobs in my local area. Through my professional connections I might land a contract that would span in multiple states across the...

asked Nov 17 '12 at 00:48
Blank
User21643
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Guideline for self-filing a provisional patent application

I'm looking to file a provisional patent application in Canada and the US. From what I've been told, the process is not easily out-sourceable, and I'm on a shoestring startup budget. I would like...

asked Oct 19 '12 at 01:59
Blank
Blueberryfields
426 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.94K Views
Collecting payments on behalf of someone else in the US

I'm developing a service that would collect subscriber's money for the webmaster, and we'd pay the website owner at the end of the month. So for example, 10 subscribers pay "us" (the service)...

asked Nov 1 '12 at 16:55
Blank
Nimbuz
174 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.6K Views
Tax consequences of server location

We are about to set up our production environment in AWS and are wondering about the tax consequences of where the servers are located. We are a Swedish start-up and since AWS is cheapest in the US...

asked Oct 4 '12 at 16:15
Blank
Yrlec
108 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
Does US subsidiary makes foreign company liable for US sales taxation?

1 - Company A is an European company that sells digital products and services all over the world, including the US. The company does not pay US income tax because it does not have an US...

asked Oct 2 '12 at 05:26
Blank
Captain Hartman
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
What kind of liability insurance should a contract engineer have?

I have been working in a company for a month. They buy my service instead of hiring me, so they ask me to set up my company. I do some drawing and design work for them. I want to know what kind of...

asked Sep 1 '12 at 14:47
Blank
Marco
130 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Taxes for Europeans working for USA llc- short term

I have an American based llc production company. I want to hire European artists for a short period (1 month for a show) . whats the best route for their taxes and mine? Would it be more...

asked Jul 16 '12 at 08:02
Blank
Richard
6 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
7.55K Views
How should a small US Corp hire and pay workers in the Philippines?

We are a small US Corp that hired a couple of workers in the Philippines to help us with some of our online work. We are paying them directly, but that means they do not have Social Security or...

asked Jul 17 '12 at 03:32
Blank
Frank
11 points