USA Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
I'm a sole proprietorship investing 30k pre-tax money in a new small business

I am investing 30k in a new business with pre-tax money I made this tax year by way of my sole proprietorship. I'm I able to write this off somehow, besides the 10k for start-ups?? If not I was...

asked Sep 1 '13 at 16:28
Blank
Mike C.
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
Owning shares in another LLC, what is the simplest way to go tax-wise?

Let's say I already own a LLC (single-member, disregarded entity). Now, I just closed a new business and have a partner in the US, a new LLC will be formed, with two members - my partner and I. I...

asked Aug 22 '13 at 02:19
Blank
Full Of Caffeine
3 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.59K Views
How can my startup sponsor J1 Visa?

I have a startup, active for 2 years. I found a guy and it looks like the best way is to get him a J1 visa. how can my company sponsor a J1 visa for him ?

asked Aug 24 '13 at 18:29
Blank
User1592987
8 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.71K Views
Tax question for a new startup

When I note expenses for tax deductions, the IRS states that assets aren't considered 'assets' until they are in use by the business. As a new business, we have items such as computers, desks,...

asked Aug 11 '13 at 13:36
Blank
Cbronson
3 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
Hiring off shore contractors, US based start up

Since I am on H1 visa and I am not supposed to work/ contribute directly to my own company, what would be the best way to manage company proceedings. If I plan to hire a manager, who would get...

asked Jul 6 '13 at 04:22
Blank
User596374
116 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
4.06K Views
No I-9 Documents after 3 days. Now what?

I know the I-9 document states that the form must be completed in 3 business days of the employee's first day of work. If the employee says they'll provide documentation, but after three days have...

asked Jul 12 '13 at 03:46
Blank
Captain Crypto
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.86K Views
What should pay be before payroll is setup?

All, I am a cofounder at a startup and we are still in the process of setting up payroll. For the time being, we have estimated taxes and are paying both my cofounder and myself the after-tax...

asked Jul 13 '13 at 01:49
Blank
James
133 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
What are the required licenses for an e-commerce website branch?

I am planning to start a branch of my friend's e-commerce website (based in India). I am a USA green card holder, and I want to open a branch in Chicago so that I can trade all across the US. Can...

asked Jul 20 '13 at 09:32
Blank
Speedy
1 point

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.95K Views
Legality of accepting users only of a particular ethnic group

I'm in the process of launching a matchmaking service that aims to serve a particular ethnic group. I'm wondering if this in any way might constitute discrimination. I know there are countless...

asked Jun 4 '13 at 13:11
Blank
Sherif Buzz
462 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
4.03K Views
Do you pay sales tax on open invoices?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I could not find it anywhere. My company is based in Austin, TX, US, and is an LLC. Do I have to pay sales tax on open invoices? I.e., Invoices for...

asked Jul 3 '13 at 12:39
Blank
Kevin Soviero
180 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.54K Views
H1b transfer for new small corp c startup

How easy/doable/possible it is for an early small (two man) funded start-up to hire someone how is now working with H1B for another company and we apply for a H1B transfer for him to come join us?

asked Jun 1 '13 at 17:44
Blank
I Code
111 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
How do payroll taxes work?

This may sound like a very naive question for a site on Startups, but...how do payroll taxes work? From what I can tell from doing database work at a company they seem to consist of percentages of...

asked Apr 9 '13 at 05:54
Blank
Leeand00
108 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
LLC C-corp in US, how to report my own investment

I'm a single member LLC with C-corp taxes in the US, and I just started my entity in January. I'm trying to figure out how/if I report my own capital injections for expenses as regards my taxes. I...

asked Apr 12 '13 at 16:29
Blank
User25852
8 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
4.69K Views
Forming a US LLC and paying taxes while outside the US

I am currently a resident alien in Virginia. I have been in the US since November 2011 (never left) and I have a J-1 visa, which expires on February 2014. I am going to leave US and go back to my...

asked Apr 17 '13 at 07:39
Blank
Tolgamorf
103 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
DBA, LLC, or what? For a virtual asset marketplace

My friend and I are currently developing a marketplace for virtual assets. However we are not quite sure how we should set the company up. Do we need only a DBA, or should we go with the LLC route...

asked Mar 26 '13 at 05:47
Blank
Sharkman
6 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
1.87K Views
Create Offshore or local?

Being in the Internet age and all, and only buying and delivering services through the Internet: Should I create a company local to where I live or in some offshore business friendly...

asked Mar 30 '13 at 01:44
Blank
Xyz
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.19K Views
1099 requirements for customers in middleman-type business

Note: I WILL be seeking information from a lawyer or accountant if I proceed but I want preliminary info here first. I am considering a business that, for sake of example, is much like Guru.com or...

asked Apr 1 '13 at 08:05
Blank
User478798
3 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.53K Views
Distributing profits when a Joint Venture starts to make money?

My question concerns the tax implications of distributing profits, if and when the hard work pays off. In my case all of the expenses and income have flowed through my business account (S...

asked Apr 1 '13 at 08:43
Blank
Robotronic
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
LLC partnership on student visa and then transfer to H1B

I am on F1 visa. I'm done with my masters and am on my OPT. Can I be a partner in an LLC? What about when I go on H1B. I'm looking to startup in Texas & California both. I tried to look for...

asked Mar 7 '13 at 10:10
Blank
Diablo Sharma
28 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
14.4K Views
TIN to use on W9 when Single Member LLC/Disregarded entity

I own a state-classified LLC company and also have an EIN for the business, which was filed on an SS-4 form (Rev. December 2001) as a Type "Other" and noted "disregarded entity". On the SS-4 form...

asked Feb 27 '13 at 12:30
Blank
User1322092
11 points