USA Questions

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
Best Structure for Investor Buyout

The company I'm an investor in requires a significant capital infusion, and is trying to find a structure to remove several current investors who are not participating in daily operations of...

asked Nov 24 '11 at 08:56
Blank
Andy
111 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
Separate bank accounts?

If you are a simple sole proprietor with a DBA, do you need (by law) to have a separate bank account? I know life is easier if you have a separate bank account, but I am wondering about the...

asked Aug 26 '11 at 06:03
Blank
Kevin Soviero
180 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.72K Views
Vendor's License E-commerce site

I am creating an ecommerce site that sells products all across the country. I am based in Ohio and so is the company. I want to know what vendor's licenses that I need to acquire to start selling...

asked Aug 14 '11 at 06:16
Blank
User889115
13 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.44K Views
Why are most successful web startup from the US? What are the factors?

I'm currently based in singapore. I have noticed that most startup, especially those that grow into super successful giants are mostly from US: facebook, groupon, linkedin. Or maybe because I'm...

asked Jun 23 '11 at 16:43
Blank
Melaos
131 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
I am a US citizen and want to become a partner in a friend's UK startup

I am a US citizen and want to become a partner in a friend's UK startup, helping her start a branch office in the US. What is the best way to proceed with this? What forms need to be filled out?

asked Jun 25 '11 at 09:25
Blank
Cara
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Collecting Use taxes

An article on businessweek got my attention today. From the headline: A Texas software vendor we have purchased from for years got audited by the California State Board of Equalization because...

asked Jun 28 '11 at 04:17
Blank
B Mitch
1,342 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.87K Views
Legal constraints, responsibilities, and documentation required for prize based promotions

I'd like to run a prize based promotion in the USA -- and looking for suggestions on legal constraints, responsibilities, and documentation required to execute one. Yes, I know there are lots of...

asked Jun 3 '11 at 10:06
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
6.61K Views
Rental Property LLC tax deduction advice

If I form an LLC and my new company buys a duplex rental unit, my understanding is the 'company' taxes will be a pass-through to my personal 1040 income tax forms, with the appropriate forms. I...

asked May 25 '11 at 06:53
Blank
Edward
26 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
As an European, is it possible to travel to the US on a tourist visa and visit companies to apply for jobs or business assignments in person?

As an European, is it possible to travel to the US on a tourist visa and visit companies to apply for jobs or business assignments in person? I. e. is it possible from a legal perspective, from a...

asked May 13 '11 at 23:52
Blank
Pongy
18 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.05K Views
Is LLC the best option?

We are planning to sell iPhone, iPad and Android apps in US Market. We have a company in India having 4 directors. I think we will have to open up a company in USA for this. Do you guys think,...

asked May 14 '11 at 14:11
Blank
Abhi
31 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
6.68K Views
Can I exercise stock options in a privately-held startup?

My options (ISO's) in a privately-held (VC-funded) startup are slowly but surely vesting. Can I exercise the vested options? What does it mean to exercise options in a privately-held company? If...

asked May 18 '11 at 00:59
Blank
Matt Solnit
123 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.29K Views
steps/tips to create an online company

A friend of mine and I are planning to start a new company in the US. He and I are full time employees on different companies, but we are planning to invest out of work hours/weekends to start our...

asked Mar 11 '11 at 07:03
Blank
Tivo
35 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.66K Views
How to get nonimmigrant Visa to the US for an unemployed startup founder

I'm the co-founder of a startup in India and I'm considering applying to seed-funding programs in USA like ycombinator. My problem is how do I get a non-immigrant visa to the US? I am currently...

asked Mar 1 '11 at 22:14
Blank
Jax
111 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.95K Views
Is it mandatory to get a small-online-startup-business registered in USA?

Specs- Its gonna be a one man show. The person running the business already has a dayjob elsewhere. I guess he's a waiter and I am not sure if he has an EIN. He would like to avoid registrations...

asked Feb 2 '11 at 20:38
Blank
Prateek Mishra
137 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.17K Views
Health Insurance Options

We're a small business (still a good start-up feel, but pretty solid) and I'm curious as to what our health insurance options are? Currently I'd want to insure myself and my other full time...

asked Nov 22 '10 at 04:01
Blank
Xkenneth
140 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.05K Views
How to hire a salesman?

Usually salesmen have a base pay and then commission on each sale. I want to know how a company handles this? I mean for example a salesman's basic pay is $1000 and commission ratio is 10% for each...

asked Oct 30 '10 at 23:55
Blank
Dr. Zuni
11 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.07K Views
Tax implications for buying out my LLP partner?

I am buying out my co-founder of our 3 year old company that we started as a hobby/second job. We are profitable (although you definitely couldn't live off the profits alone!). Anyway, we've...

asked Oct 13 '10 at 02:38
Blank
Pete
116 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.9K Views
Looking up US company details

I'm trying to find out a little bit of information about a US company before potentially doing some work for them. If I wanted to find out about a company in the UK, I would search on the...

asked Oct 14 '10 at 22:08
Blank
Dan Dyer
657 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.24K Views
Foreigner starting a business in the USA

I am officially a "legal alien allowed to work" in the USA (I have a F-1 student visa). I know I cannot work anywhere else, but the university I attend (and no more than 20h a week). I would like...

asked Oct 15 '10 at 09:04
Blank
Jacek
116 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.76K Views
Form a company outside of the US?

This is definitely a different flavor of a common question. Here are the basic stats: Online only startup -- no physical presence. Everyone works from home. We have 8 people in 4 countries (5 in...

asked Oct 4 '10 at 06:15
Blank
User4625
26 points