Employees Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Question about terminating contract with employee

Not sure if this the right place to ask but here it goes: We (myself and 2 founders) found our startup about a year ago. Then we brought on an employee to work part-time and had him sign a...

asked Oct 3 '12 at 06:45
Blank
User19965
6 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
3.1K Views
Potential offer as first employee at startup, worth it?

I am a software engineer with about 2 years experience and currently at a big tech company. I have an offer to join a startup that has just received seed funding of 250k and they're about 6 months...

asked Oct 4 '12 at 18:06
Blank
Rob
31 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.67K Views
Do contractors and part-timers count as employees?

When asked in person, or in an survey, the number of employees a startup has, should one count contractors in that number? What about part-timers or interns?

asked Sep 3 '12 at 04:51
Blank
Philip Seifi
132 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
5.66K Views
Invoicing while full-time employed

I'd need some help in understanding what I need to do, admittedly I am getting into this for the first time. I am full-time employed in a privately held company in the UK. Recently, I started doing...

asked Sep 4 '12 at 19:28
Blank
Diferdin
116 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.93K Views
Working as early employee but not get paid

I got hired as an early employee (employee #4) and considered as key engineer of the company. As compensation, I got some stock option grant (1%), and well below market salary (about 30% of what I...

asked Sep 17 '12 at 00:45
Blank
T. W.
11 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.74K Views
Example of Agreement (template) with Company for doing stuff in spare time

According to related topic: If I'm working at a company, do they have intellectual property rights to the stuff I do in my spare time? (and related : Intellectual Property and Side-Projects in...

asked Aug 12 '12 at 19:24
Blank
Grzegorz Wierzowiecki
126 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.43K Views
How should early employees be compensated if founders have left and the company has pivoted?

I realize that Joel Spoelsky has written an extensive summary of how equity should be allocated (namely, fairly), but I was wondering how things might differ in slightly different...

asked Aug 1 '12 at 06:15
Blank
Nt3 Rp
115 points

11 Votes
2 Answers
3.1K Views
Does the concept of "Unlimited Vacation" increase productivity and attract talented employees?

Does the concept of "Unlimited Vacation" increase productivity and attract talented employees ? I've read about it here, specifically: Unlimited vacation fosters productivity and loyalty because...

asked Aug 1 '12 at 23:57
Blank
User1510230
56 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
Non-compete clause for a early employee

Is it common to ask early employee of a startup to sign a contract containing non-compete clauses? I am against our employee, but I have a little concern on our competitor as they have money to...

asked Jul 15 '12 at 01:28
Blank
Yoga
116 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.71K Views
How to fire people but still maintain a happy/friendly work-space?

People come and go in a startup very often. Even if you try your best to find best talents, there's no guarantee that they are a good fit for your company in a long run. The present culture of...

asked Jun 7 '12 at 17:39
Blank
Hiro
63 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Employees working for other companies?

Our company is a small, Eastern European outsourcing firm, focusing on PHP, .NET, and mobile development projects). As our company is trying to get off the ground, and since we don't have much...

asked May 27 '12 at 18:51
Blank
Davey Boy
55 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
Equity when joining an established business

Given an offer to join an established company, earning at least a couple of million a year in revenue (under 10 employees) and which is a subsidiary to a multi billion dollar parent company; what...

asked May 10 '12 at 01:34
Blank
Maxim Gershkovich
234 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.24K Views
How to expand our workforce from 1 technical 'guru' to a productive team of 6

Like many fellow startups that we know, we've started like with one technical wizard who know a lot of stuff and who knows now where everything is and how it works. The system has undergone a lot...

asked May 3 '12 at 06:00
Blank
Michael Durrant
227 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
The startup I work for is slashing my last pay periods paycheck without notice

This question is not directly related to a creating or running a startup, but I guess this is one of the things that can happen at a startup and I'd love to hear responses from both sides of the...

asked May 8 '12 at 08:32
Blank
Peter
111 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
0.5% equity and 2k/month to be the #1 CDO in a startup

I really need your help. It 's the first time I've been asked to work for a startup. The company has already been made??, founded by 2 partners, and has already received an initial investment, but...

asked Apr 6 '12 at 20:58
Blank
Vin
1 point

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.56K Views
What effect does winning an office lottery pool have on the health of small companies

A couple people at my place of work (small-medium company with < 100 employees) are starting up a lottery pool, and it got me wondering about what would happen if they won. So my question is...

asked Mar 28 '12 at 04:59
Blank
Chris Bye
109 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.67K Views
Choose to pay the employees a little too much or a little too less?

We tend to think that the fair value of a work is the price of it, but it's hard to appreciate. As a web startup, what do you think is the best strategy, keep the pay a little too less to keep the...

asked Mar 22 '12 at 01:12
Blank
Hartator
116 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.62K Views
How do I motivate someone who values his time significantly more than money to come to work on time?

I'm looking for a strategy to negotiate punctuality with an employee who is quite skilled. However, I fear that docking his pay may not have an impact because he values his own time more highly...

asked Feb 20 '12 at 08:58
Blank
User2436
14 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.46K Views
Hiring someone as an employee AND contractor

If an employee wanted to clean our buildings above their normal responsibilities, could we hire them as an independent contractor for the cleaning work in addition to them being an employee? Is...

asked Feb 24 '12 at 01:19
Blank
Matthew Rankin
196 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.54K Views
Hiring first person employee vs contractor

I have bootstrapped a startup in NY and am ready to hire a person. Should I hire this person as a contractor or as an employee. I realize that there are many laws and logistics around hiring an...

asked Feb 25 '12 at 08:06
Blank
User15995
42 points