Agreements Questions

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.78K Views
Expiry date for NDA

I am in talk with another company for developing a software for them. They require a Non-Disclosure agreement. Should I ask to specify an expiry date for the NDA? Or does it apply to my entire...

asked Mar 22 '12 at 02:12
Blank
Cnu
123 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.67K Views
Is it legal or even common to require business partners to sign a prenup in the event they get married?

I'm considering starting a company with a few friends. Each of us are single guys. We're wondering, is it legal or common for a company to require other owners to sign a prenup in the event they...

asked Jan 28 '12 at 13:58
Blank
Dave
124 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Asking a company to be a tech partner

I have been on a fruitless search for a technical partner to help me build a web startup. In the meantime, I went ahead and had the MVP built by an offshore company. They've done a pretty good job,...

asked Dec 29 '11 at 03:26
Blank
Li Zhou
323 points

-1 Votes
3 Answers
1.64K Views
Drafting an agreement stating roles

I'm starting a creative partnership, however, the theme, name, and concept are all mine. I've invited my friend in as an artist/partner who will contribute to present and future productions. I'd...

asked Jan 4 '12 at 12:58
Blank
Veronica
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.44K Views
Who owns this product?

What steps should I take to protect myself (and the company) as the sole developer of the product? My business partner will be handling the business side of things. It was his idea, originally,...

asked Oct 11 '11 at 02:53
Blank
Bill
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.54K Views
When do we need to become an official company?

So I'm starting a new venture with a friend of mine. Basically, we are not going to be looking for seed funding, or really any funding for that matter. We are going to be up fronting the costs to...

asked Aug 30 '11 at 23:09
Blank
Slandau
203 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.63K Views
Universal NDA agreements

I'll be starting a "startup" that will require me to see existing code, propritary data, etc. I'm sure that most of my potential clients will not already have an NDA for me to sign so I want to be...

asked Aug 27 '11 at 02:21
Blank
Dustin Davis
272 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
3.07K Views
Divorcing A Partner Without An Operating Agreement

Here's the scenario: Myself and 2 partners have been working on a project since January. Since we are all friends (mistake number 1) we orally agreed to split the future company's equity three ways...

asked Aug 5 '11 at 01:07
Blank
Miles
130 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.91K Views
How much percentage an investor ideally deserve?

Last year we started a software firm, we have managed to build a good technical team and do a couple of projects which helped us hang around. Recently we had an offer from one of the investor to...

asked Jul 13 '11 at 13:08
Blank
Fayaz
35 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.6K Views
Equal Member Against Placing a Buyout Clause in the Operating Agreement

My 3 man equal partnership disagrees on a key issue regarding placing a buyout clause in our operating agreement. One of the three is deeply against any buyout close for both his status as a member...

asked Jun 13 '11 at 08:50
Blank
Steve
113 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.12K Views
Start-up Company - Legal Advice and beyond...Where do I go from here?

My question is pretty broad, but I am just wondering the next logical steps to take in establishing and distributing equity in an iOS App Business Startup. What form or document do I would need to...

asked May 24 '11 at 13:47
Blank
Canty Jeffrey
10 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
2.83K Views
Prospective partner refuses to sign no-compete as person

After much search, it seemed that I have found a suitable partner for my IP based startup. Things seemed to have progressed well until I asked him to sign a no-compete agreement as part of the...

asked Mar 21 '11 at 03:55
Blank
Glen
31 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.65K Views
How much would/should it cost to have a lawyer review a founder agreement?

An associate and I are considering putting together a startup. We will likely (hopefully) have competent counsel draw up the incoporation paperwork. Since this will likely be the firm that my...

asked Feb 25 '11 at 03:40
Blank
Ev Conrad
561 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
Putting limits to technical support for software services, is it good?

I have recently established a company to sell ecommerce software as SaaS. There are some leads that request proposals from me. I am in a dilemma. There are two risks that I want to avoid: I want...

asked Jan 28 '11 at 20:00
Blank
Mert Nuhoglu
116 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
In the agreement for hiring an offshore provider, should the governing jurisdiction be my country, theirs, or both?

I am considering hiring a firm in India for a website development and am in the process of drafting the agreement. I am located in Australia. Standard agreements include a clause stating which...

asked Dec 23 '10 at 13:41
Blank
Trish
186 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
How do you know someone signing an agreement has the right to do so?

Always, wondered this, and never found a good answer. Guess the opposite applies, too -- how do you know someone does NOT have the right to enter a legal agreement on behalf of a company? Please...

asked Oct 23 '10 at 05:01
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

8 Votes
3 Answers
2.93K Views
How to relieve customer's concerns about what happens to my one-man startup web service if I die?

I own an S Corporation that has launched a niche market web service and have signed up a few customers. I'm still very much bootstrapping this and doing everything myself (a one-man show). I'm...

asked Nov 2 '10 at 16:40
Blank
Tauren
240 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.81K Views
What questions should we be sure to answer in an operating agreement?

I'm at the point of forming an LLC with a partner, and wondering about questions that aren't obvious but that should definitely be included in an operating agreement. Questions like, What are the...

asked Oct 11 '10 at 02:07
Blank
Riley
193 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
How to approach retailer to arrange onselling agreement

In our local area there are certain products that are sold at a much higher premium by large big brand retail stores and they move a lot of this product. There are smaller established stores who...

asked Oct 20 '10 at 09:07
Blank
Xiaohouzi79
1,257 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.56K Views
Protections for minority shareholder in SHA (shareholders agreement)

We are in early startup phase. One founder has a big majority stake and we are co-founders with small 5 minority stake. We have good relations and we are happy with the stakes, but we would like to...

asked May 4 '10 at 23:59
Blank
Waldec
11 points