Business Questions

Increase your odds of business success: start with good people, make something customers actually want, and spend as little money as possible.

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.65K Views
How do I decide on licensing terms for my popular app?

I wrote a sudoku application and put it in the chrome app store. It is quite popular. I have received serious requests from media companies asking to include my application as part of their mobile...

asked Mar 4 '12 at 03:51
Blank
Hvgotcodes
171 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.68K Views
Business bank account

I would like to be able to cash checks made out to "Code Developr" in the USA. I am in the state of Florida. I do not have an LLC or Corporation. The nature of the business at this point will be...

asked Mar 4 '12 at 05:51
Blank
Jasondavis
111 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
First equity what questions should I ask and how?

Last month I was offered for an equity on a startup venture. It's an online store focus on selling customized toys. Their business models looks good and promising. But I just have few doubts and...

asked Mar 6 '12 at 23:38
Blank
Pennf0lio
140 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
What state do I need to file taxes in for my online business?

We have an online web development business with no true 'physical' address. We have incorporated in DE, I reside in CA and use my address for the contact information and my partner who is a true...

asked Mar 9 '12 at 06:55
Blank
Jason Craig
11 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.34K Views
Paying self on start-up business

I'm a technical person, something is puzzling me. Why do owners of business startups have to pay themselves when they're just starting a business? It doesn't seem to make sense, because it's like...

asked Mar 9 '12 at 14:37
Blank
Chuacw
109 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.26K Views
Have an idea - general outline - what's the next step?

A good friend (and former colleague of mine) has put together a general executive summary of a SaaS product idea. She has an excellent presentation, good statement of the need the product meets,...

asked Mar 10 '12 at 08:22
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.83K Views
what methods exist to securely have clients send you their files and other important documents?

I am going to start an online business and would like to know what all the options are out there. I have found sites/services such as yousendit.com. What are other methods/sites that I should...

asked Mar 12 '12 at 12:13
Blank
User16817
63 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.31K Views
How to keep track (on file) of income and expenses?

I want to keep track of my startup's income and expenses. Is excel the right software? And how should I do it, a column for income and a column for expenses? Is there some template you can recommend?

asked Feb 27 '12 at 08:14
Blank
Startup1
90 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.9K Views
Should I offer referral fee to consultants?

I am considering to offer a referral fee to a certain category of business consultants to help drum up business. The fee would be part of a "relationship package" along with an opportunity to write...

asked Feb 11 '12 at 16:03
Blank
Sergei Veinberg
429 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.77K Views
20% equity for introduction to a major client

I have built a product in the past 4 years for traders that is being used by a few accounts. I haven't done any marketing at all so far, the few clients using it are a few beta testers that have...

asked Feb 15 '12 at 02:15
Blank
Joe
6 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.64K Views
How to decide if a business has to be closed?

An obvious point is if there is no sales for a given period of time and if your costs keep piling up, you have to close down. But if the product was not sold like hot cake but had some sales...

asked Feb 3 '12 at 17:58
Blank
Muthu
159 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.68K Views
When does the profit-sharing model break down?

Two co-founders and I have started a project that is going rather well. We sell a service that is paid on a monthly basis but that also has some up-front costs (revenues for us). Thus far we have...

asked Feb 5 '12 at 09:54
Blank
Daniel Gill
175 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
7.13K Views
How to get full grocery store inventory?

I don't have money for a warehouse right now and I want to ship food with JIT inventory. But in order to do so, I need to have a list of products (around 3000 of them) the store sells. And I need...

asked Feb 5 '12 at 23:59
Blank
Sergey
106 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
Huge Dilemma: Leave or Delete section in website

I have a huge dilemma, I launched a dog lover community/store/vet chat/information/directory website in Mexico and for the Spanish speaking community. It was launched 7 months ago and it's starting...

asked Feb 6 '12 at 06:50
Blank
Daniel Michan
66 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
"Doing business as" registration – is it needed for an online only business?

Selling ad space on a website has no physical place of business except for the office, which might be the owner's home. Also, if registering a DBA would be needed, it would have to be all over the...

asked Feb 7 '12 at 02:46
Blank
Startup1
90 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.93K Views
How to share profit based on both effort and skill?

Suppose the following: You have a very small startup (a few people) with almost no startup capital You have a client or two and are making some money, but not enough to afford real salaries Each...

asked Feb 7 '12 at 03:41
Blank
Daniel Gill
175 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.81K Views
Does opening a bank account for an llc make a person personally responsible for the account?

I've asked a bank what they require in order to open a bank account for an llc, and the main thing was a "certificate of good standing". Since the "certificate of good standing" or even the...

asked Feb 10 '12 at 05:10
Blank
Startup1
90 points

0 Votes
6 Answers
2.81K Views
Initial funding for Server cost

I'm nearing completion of my website. I need advice on how i would go about server costs? I haven't got the type of money to pay for a good dedicated/VPS server for high traffic. Should i go about...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 17:17
Blank
User892134
101 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.68K Views
Is it legal or even common to require business partners to sign a prenup in the event they get married?

I'm considering starting a company with a few friends. Each of us are single guys. We're wondering, is it legal or common for a company to require other owners to sign a prenup in the event they...

asked Jan 28 '12 at 13:58
Blank
Dave
124 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
3.47K Views
Startups and full time jobs

I've come over from Stack Overflow. I'm currently working full time as a web site developer, and like many people have got a bit fed up of working for someone else and want to set my own business...

asked Jan 22 '12 at 04:51
Blank
Space Beers
168 points