Business Questions

Increase your odds of business success: start with good people, make something customers actually want, and spend as little money as possible.

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Looking to sell my reporting tool application

I've built a fantastic reporting tool that can be sold to small to medium size companies. ReportingMate is the only reporting software I know that doesn't use report designers and allows...

asked Jan 22 '12 at 08:13
Blank
User15860
11 points

8 Votes
3 Answers
3.39K Views
How do minors legally start a business?

I am a fifteen year old Web and iPhone developer. I'm looking to get apps published on the App Store under a business name. So, this leads me to a few questions. (I already have a bought...

asked Jan 22 '12 at 14:24
Blank
Crystal
51 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
5.6K Views
Can I use a business name to accept Paypal donations (for free software) before legally forming a business?

I would like to give away some software I have developed for free on a website as donationware, but rather than see my name when people donate, I would like them to see something more official like...

asked Jan 24 '12 at 17:03
Blank
Fentoooon
113 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.73K Views
Verifying Business Identity

My webapp keeps information regarding certain businesses when they use it (Under their full consent off course). One problem i have is that I have no clue how to validate whether the business using...

asked Jan 10 '12 at 19:21
Blank
User744319
94 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.56K Views
Has anyone sold a "fork" version of their software?

I created a SaaS that became quite popular over the weekend. I had a steady stream of users sign up and many are actually still using it (lots of folks who signed up out of curiosity). Anyway, I...

asked Jan 14 '12 at 01:54
Blank
Luckytaxi
177 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.34K Views
I have signed a non-compete agreement in the IT industry with my current employer

What if I make my father register the business? Can the employer close the business if my father will be the legal owner of the business? I am in Canada and my contract allow me to work as...

asked Jan 16 '12 at 18:14
Blank
Iron Mannnn
3 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
A Co-Branded website?

Our start-up is not yet launched but has been proposed to make a co-branded website with a big player on the market, where both parties would be presented equally through a number of ads and links...

asked Jan 17 '12 at 06:44
Blank
Patrick
23 points

6 Votes
9 Answers
3.78K Views
How much importance do Degrees (study) hold in becoming an Entrepreneur?

I have a Masters degree in Computer Science. I always thought that when I was small I was more innovative and more risk taking than I am today. From childhood, I have a dream of doing my own...

asked Jan 4 '12 at 03:14
Blank
Gagandeep Singh
136 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
7.08K Views
EU domain to start a business. Good idea?

This is my first question here, I am going to start a business, but as you know it's not easy to find a good domain .com (if you don't want pay hundreds or thousands $). I have found a good domain,...

asked Jan 8 '12 at 01:30
Blank
Alessandro Ds
103 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.55K Views
Business owner, how does he/she get paid?

Business owner, how does he/she get paid? Withdrawals vs Salary (Guaranteed payments) I've been thinking of registering a Ltd company (UK) as I'm a freelancer; and want limited liability. Also to...

asked Jan 8 '12 at 05:58
Blank
Klj613
36 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.82K Views
Self employed. Protecting trading names?

I've been researching Limited Company vs Self Employed and I think I prefer being self employed until things get bigger, etc. However I can't seem to find anything saying how to protect a trading...

asked Jan 8 '12 at 09:57
Blank
Klj613
36 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.83K Views
What should a technical co-founder look for in a business co-founder?

This is the flip side of this question about what to look for in a technical co-founder. If I have technical skills and can build a prototype myself, what sort of skills or experience should I...

asked Dec 19 '11 at 08:59
Blank
Hartley Brody
1,317 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.46K Views
Is it considered legal forming a business through your parents?

I'm 15, and an enthusiast programmer, I've built loads of web based applications, some of which have even been called useful after demo'ing them to others, apps that have not been created (atleast...

asked Dec 22 '11 at 01:53
Blank
Karan K
26 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
Software Escrow Fee

Does anyone familiar with software (source code) escrow service, since I having some questions about this service? 1. How much this service will costs me ? Assuming I just have one beneficiary. 2....

asked Dec 23 '11 at 14:23
Blank
Jazar
123 points

11 Votes
5 Answers
3.16K Views
Finding a start-up partner as a developer

I have been coding solutions since like the dawn of time, at least that's how it feels, and I love it so now I want to help found a new start up or help an existing start up that needs a technical...

asked Dec 9 '11 at 01:32
Blank
Tim
670 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.4K Views
Allowing instant trial download vs contacting you for trial?

On one hand, people leave bogus emails just to get the download link. You don't get any means of contacting them afterwards or build your email list. On the other hand, if people see that sending...

asked Dec 13 '11 at 15:49
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
Liabilities as SAAS should consider

I'm considering registering a business that I am bootstrapping. At this point I am concerned about keeping costs down. The cheapest option in my state is to register a Sole Proprietorship. The next...

asked Dec 14 '11 at 02:42
Blank
Mike Nereson
411 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.99K Views
Is my new name going to be trademarkable?

Ok, I think I'm going to give up my company name (see here: Trademark infringement - does it really sounds that bad? ) Given my situation I need to make sure: Nobody will go after me again (it...

asked Dec 14 '11 at 07:05
Blank
Katit
276 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
App developed in company time has potential to be sold commercially. Need advise

Situation I work on the public sector and have developed a web app for internal use to handle a department's business process. The application has been a success according to its users. Some of...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 06:37
Blank
Viriato
144 points

-1 Votes
4 Answers
1.91K Views
Is this the wrong way to go about creating a startup

I'm tech side; he's business side. We're about 3-4 months in, and he works full time (closer to 50 hours a week) at another job. I'm a full-time student. I asked my business partner when he was...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 10:49
Blank
Yo Kitty
2 points