Business Questions

Increase your odds of business success: start with good people, make something customers actually want, and spend as little money as possible.

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
Business Expense Question: Paying Rent

I have an LLC set up, and am learning my way with regards to keeping books etc. I was told recently that I can use the business bank account to pay up to 50% of my rent (being that I am the owner,...

asked Nov 26 '11 at 20:14
Blank
Zakman411
174 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
What is an acceptable time period for a refund?

I setting up a marketplace style transaction system and I was wondering what an acceptable time period for refunds would be, On one hand it would be nice to get the money to them immediately on the...

asked Nov 16 '11 at 05:24
Blank
Bluemoon
136 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.44K Views
Authorizing family to purchase supplies for my sole-proprietorship

I've registered myself as a sole-proprietor business in Ontario, Canada. My common-law partner often helps me with organization and other tasks. I want her to be legally able to purchase supplies...

asked Nov 17 '11 at 05:03
Blank
Philip K
166 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
9.79K Views
How to take a draw in a multi-member LLC?

My business partner and I are forming an LLC. As I understand, members of an LLC are not employees and therefore are not on payroll. Instead they pay themselves by taking a draw from the LLC...

asked Nov 20 '11 at 03:41
Blank
Sheehan Alam
194 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.25K Views
Is a good strategy to start with a free service and then charge for the service?

I'm building a startup of P2P model that will work with a payment gateway. But I have a problem with that, in my country the formalities to have a payment gateway are very slow (take about two...

asked Nov 20 '11 at 09:40
Blank
Eberto
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Do I need to register a new business name to trade as it

I am currently working on a new start up, we have some capital and are currently "trading as" the potential new company name, through an existing business. My question is do I need to register...

asked Nov 21 '11 at 18:06
Blank
Cubed Eye
150 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
2.59K Views
Role of Business Partner While Developer is Developing

So... in a startup... im the techie/developer of the business, my partner is the business side. While, I'm developing this elaborate application... what should he be doing? What do business people...

asked Nov 5 '11 at 10:52
Blank
Meow
56 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
Platform to bring tech entrepreneurs to light

I've had this idea in my mind for a while now and I wanted some of your opinions on this. I'm a PhD student in Computer Science. I feel like the inventions that many students do just go within...

asked Nov 7 '11 at 05:09
Blank
Sunil
128 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.23K Views
Where to find the cheapest electricity?

Say I wanted to start a business that relies heavily on electricity (though not induction-heavy electricity, like welding or the like would produce, standard electricity used used by computers). A...

asked Nov 9 '11 at 21:54
Blank
The Piachu
113 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
4.34K Views
What are the advantages and disadvantages to entrust to a third party an application development?

I am quite experienced in the field of Web Projects and I have a capital (500.000 $). "I am planning"\"I would like" to create a "great" Web site and I noticed that I have two choices: assign the...

asked Nov 11 '11 at 20:52
Blank
User12882
108 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Sample business case/feasibility study case-studies

I'm trying to look at some existing business-cases/feasibility studies to get an idea of what all to include and how to approach it. I'm sure there is no need to reinvent the wheel, but it seems...

asked Oct 25 '11 at 15:50
Blank
Ph D
422 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
How to protect my software?

I am looking forward to register business in UK (England), currently we are still in development of software but, next year we should be launching it live for the people. This is going to be a...

asked Oct 25 '11 at 16:42
Blank
John
38 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
How usually companies pays out percentage for developers?

I would like to know roughly how the payments are done if the company was started by two developers and me, owner. Let's say, I give them 10 % each, thats 20 % of the company's profit product....

asked Oct 26 '11 at 21:50
Blank
John
38 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.89K Views
I've built my product. Now how do I get customers?

I've spent the last 10 months building a product to help salons manage their businesses. Throughout the development process I've been spending time with salon owners, salon managers and stylists to...

asked Oct 29 '11 at 11:07
Blank
Jason Swett
555 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.86K Views
Registering a trademark for software

I would like to know if registering trademark for software in some countries is too expensive for us and we develop a software which is hard to copy, can we survive without trademark for software?...

asked Nov 1 '11 at 22:30
Blank
John
38 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
A couple questions regarding mass product construction

What is the name for a company that contracts with other companies to mass produce products? And how hard and what is the process to get a contract of such for a small startup?

asked Oct 24 '11 at 11:58
Blank
Michael Grigsby
111 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.08K Views
Recommend a good cloud based telephone system

I'm involved in a pre-startup situation, with a small company about to start real operations. Initially they will have one dedicated office with dedicated telephone lines, one office admin person,...

asked Oct 25 '11 at 04:08
Blank
Jim In Texas
228 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
8.5K Views
What is the difference between a Business Partner and Co-Founder?

Maybe it's just semantics, but I am putting the word out that my biz will benefit from either. We have pushed a product off the shelf and are starting to acquire customers, yet the effort has...

asked Oct 9 '11 at 02:31
Blank
Richard H.
175 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.36K Views
Negotiating a licensing deal for my iOS app

I've created a fairly successful iOS app that sells for $9.99 in the App store. It brings in about 75k per year and has been featured twice by Apple since launch. In the past few months, three...

asked Oct 11 '11 at 16:29
Blank
John
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.7K Views
What is the state of (desktop) micro ISVs in the U.S. now?

I'm interested in understanding the state of what I'll call "desktop micro ISVs" in the U.S. in 2011. By this I mean one-person computer software companies, creating desktop computer software, and...

asked Oct 13 '11 at 12:48
Blank
Chelonian
146 points